• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering a SIG P938 - thoughts?

Pants

NES Member
I've been in the market for small pocket 9. I checked out the P938 over the weekend and I really dug it! I owned a Shield and didn't care of it much, but I did like the SIG. What are peoples thoughts on this one? Also, I have bulk Winchester NATO 9mm - is this stuff safe to use in the SIG or should I not feed it a steady diet of this?

Thanks!

I have held a Sig P938 and it seems to be a well made and ergonomic gun. In my hands at least. Have not fired one though. I always advise in situations like this to try and find one you can test shoot before buying. You may like it or you may not.

I have held a Sig P938 and it seems to be a well made and ergonomic gun. In my hands at least. Have not fired one though. I always advise in situations like this to try and find one you can test shoot before buying. You may like it or you may not.

I'd love to shoot it first - that seems like a good idea. I bought a Shield before I even handled/shot it. I didn't care for the ergos and ended up selling it.

Well made gun. Accurate for a pocket gun. The trigger isn't going to win any awards but in comparison to other small guns in it's class I think it does a great job. I have run a few hundred rounds thru it. Reloads & factory stuff(hollow points included) and have all performed great. If you like the 1911 style you will like the gun. Cocked and locked inside a crossbreed IWB this thing hides well. I much prefer the 9mm over the .380 round.

I shoot mine well, & it's been 100% with all the different types/ grains of ammo I've fed it.
Where are you located? If you're willing to come to one of my ranges you can try mine out at a mutually convenient time.

Great handgun. Love mine, but I don't carry cocked and locked in my pocket. I use a great little, leather hip holster made by De Santis. The model number is 019-37 if you're interested in one. Like has already been said here, this handgun eats everything that I feed it and never a malfunction and quite accurate for a smallish 9mm. Recoil is easy on you as well. Tagua makes a nice in the pants leather holster for the Sig 238 that fits the 938 just fine if you prefer in the pants. No stock number on it though.

Have you considered a PM9? If you plan on pocket carrying, consider the pros cons of SAO vs DAO. I was tossed between the two, went with the PM9 and was happy that I did. Not having to worry about the safety is what won me over on the Kahr.

Amazing.

15 posts and only one person mentioned that they carried it cocked and locked, but nobody made the next jump.

If you intend to carry it you need to practice your draw with it including sweeping off the safety until its instinctive. Spending a day at the rang with it and not practicing going off and on safe as you come on and off target will leave a huge hole in your training.

When the SHTF, if you don't train this way, you will forget to take the safety off. (Ask me how I know. Ha. Fortunately it was just an IDPA match)

I won't carry a cocked and locked handgun because my range guns are Glocks and 1911s. Occasionally I'll forget to sweep the safety off. It easier for me to just carry a double action only gun. For that reason, I started carrying Kahrs about 15 years ago.

First a P9, then a P9 covert (still my favorite, P9 slide with a PM9 grip length), then a PM9, and finally full circle back to a P9.

I'd love to shoot it first - that seems like a good idea. I bought a Shield before I even handled/shot it. I didn't care for the ergos and ended up selling it.

If you're in the Milford area you are more than welcome to try mine. I can host at SRG or HSA. Absolutely my favorite EDC. Depending on attire it's either a P238 in the pocket or P938 in a CrossBreed. Make sure to try with both magazines, it shoots very different with the flush or extended.

And yes, cocked and locked, wouldn't have it any other way. Obviously a personal preference.

The PM9's on my list, I handled a friend's and found it kind of stiff. My only issue with P938 is the condition 1 carry.

The recoil spring on the PM9 is very stiff. Or are you talking about the trigger? The trigger on the PM9 is very nice, but it is long.

The recoil spring on the PM9 is stiff enough that inexperienced or smaller people have a difficult time running the gun.

Condition 1 is a significant thing to keep in mind. The gun is fine. Its the owner that would be the problem. He/She needs to train in the instinctive manipulation of the safety.

The 238 is a great little jewel of a gun. The 938 is the same. But the manual of arms for a single action carry gun is not something to be approached casually.

My P238 is carried cocked and locked. I want a P938 and would have no problem carrying it that way as well.

I think the only time I forgot to sweep a safety off was in a plate shoot with a 1911. Felt like a boob. I normally automatically sweep it off...

I tried to like the PM9. Nope... I do want a P938.

Then you are the kind of person who should carry it.

So many of the new shooters who are drawn drawn to the 238s good looks and the fact that its probably the best shooting micro 380 on the market, are not anything like you as far as experience.

They cut their teeth on striker fired autos. This is the first defensive firearm they are buying that is carried condition 1.

I shoot competitively with both a Glock and a 1911. I have shot for far longer with a glock. (Started IDPA with a Glock in 1998, started shooting 1911s about 5 years ago)

I do not trust myself to 100% of the time instinctively sweep the safety off.

About once a year, I forget to sweep the safety off on the 1911. Maybe more. Either way, I determined I was better off with a kahr P380 and P9 for carry based on an honest assessment of my strengths and weaknesses.

The 238 and 938 are carry guns for people who primarily shoot 1911s at the range.

If you shoot striker fired guns, and want a micro 380 that is actually enjoyable to shoot, get a Kahr P380 or CW380.

Last edited:
Amazing.

15 posts and only one person mentioned that they carried it cocked and locked, but nobody made the next jump.

If you intend to carry it you need to practice your draw with it including sweeping off the safety until its instinctive. Spending a day at the rang with it and not practicing going off and on safe as you come on and off target will leave a huge hole in your training.

When the SHTF, if you don't train this way, you will forget to take the safety off. (Ask me how I know. Ha. Fortunately it was just an IDPA match)

I won't carry a cocked and locked handgun because my range guns are Glocks and 1911s. Occasionally I'll forget to sweep the safety off. It easier for me to just carry a double action only gun. For that reason, I started carrying Kahrs about 15 years ago.

First a P9, then a P9 covert (still my favorite, P9 slide with a PM9 grip length), then a PM9, and finally full circle back to a P9.

cocked and locked here. You make a great point of training. If you don't practice taking the safety off before pressing a shot you'll be SOL when you need to

Recoil spring - it was a tight little gun. I've been on the fence with one of those for quite some time.

The recoil spring on the PM9 is very stiff. Or are you talking about the trigger? The trigger on the PM9 is very nice, but it is long.

The recoil spring on the PM9 is stiff enough that inexperienced or smaller people have a difficult time running the gun.

Condition 1 is a significant thing to keep in mind. The gun is fine. Its the owner that would be the problem. He/She needs to train in the instinctive manipulation of the safety.

The 238 is a great little jewel of a gun. The 938 is the same. But the manual of arms for a single action carry gun is not something to be approached casually.

When I was looking for a pocket carry gun, I tried several, Ruger LCP, Kahr PM9, Body Guard. All of them hurt my hand to shoot them, especially the PM9. The front of the trigger guard whacked my finger every time I shot it. Now, in a defensive situation, this probably would not be noticeable, but I like to practice a lot with my carry guns, and if I didn't like to shoot it, I don't think I would depend upon it. The P938 is nice to shoot. I took a chance and bought it before I fired it. I am glad I did.

Recoil spring - it was a tight little gun. I've been on the fence with one of those for quite some time.

If you are on the fence, then try the P9. The slide is a bit longer and heavier so the recoil spring seems a bit softer.

The PM9 gets all the attention, but the simple fact is that any PM9 owner who chooses to carry some other way than in the pocket is probably better served by the P9.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was looking for a pocket carry gun, I tried several, Ruger LCP, Kahr PM9, Body Guard. All of them hurt my hand to shoot them, especially the PM9. The front of the trigger guard whacked my finger every time I shot it. Now, in a defensive situation, this probably would not be noticeable, but I like to practice a lot with my carry guns, and if I didn't like to shoot it, I don't think I would depend upon it. The P938 is nice to shoot. I took a chance and bought it before I fired it. I am glad I did.

Thats surprising. The PM9 that I used to own was fun to shoot. My P9 is a pleasure to shoot.

I definitely agree with you on the LCP and the Bodyguard. I've gone through more ammo in the 4 months I've owned the P380 than I did in the 4 years I owned the LCP.

Back
Top Bottom