Congradulations to NE Newest HIGHMASTER!

Congradulations to Jeff Hirtle who shot a 784-30X at NFGA today earning him his HM card.

Done the hard way with a Service Rifle.

Nice Job Jeff... Congradulations!

haha, thanks george. god knows it wasnt easy.

1 (of 4) goal are now accomplished. (the 4 are, any given order, HM, P100, DR, and elihu root medal)

i'll likely add more as i progress, but those are the ones that originally got me into the sport. The DR badge will have to wait til next year (i got 24 points in a 5 week span before and including CP (bronze and silver EIC, bronze regional, gold regional, and a silver in the NTI)

I started on a marksman card last year, made master the last match last year, and been hovering just below 97% all this year. last 3 matches did it for me

773-21x (July 17th)
781-26x (Aug 14th) (personal best)
784-30x (Aug 21) (new personal best)

gives me 97.42% :)

dont think i've ever been so happy to never win anything again! (lets face it, HM is a tough category to compete for prizes).

todays scorecard

IMAG0150.jpg

Jeff, that is awsome! A High Master classification confirms that an individual can shoot consistent excellent scores. To do it with a Service Rifle is just that much more confirmation.
I'm pretty sure the Distinguished Rifleman Badge will be yours next year.
I'm at a toss-up which is harder to get; the Presidents 100 or High Master classification. HM is sort of like DR; it takes a consistent good (or better) score. But P100 demands that you perform on that particular day against the best.

Elihu Root Medal? Tell me what that is all about.

#105 in the P100 this year. too close haha, but thanks Pat. we'll see how it goes at scarborough next week.

Elihu Root medals are awarded to the "national civilian rifle team" for the NTT. top 6 civilian scores fired in the NTT (not necessarily on the same team), as well as the coaches from the top 2 teams overall.

being one of the top 6 civilian scores fired in the NTT is on my list ;)

Jeff, that is awsome! A High Master classification confirms that an individual can shoot consistent excellent scores. To do it with a Service Rifle is just that much more confirmation.
I'm pretty sure the Distinguished Rifleman Badge will be yours next year.
I'm at a toss-up which is harder to get; the Presidents 100 or High Master classification. HM is sort of like DR; it takes a consistent good (or better) score. But P100 demands that you perform on that particular day against the best.

Elihu Root Medal? Tell me what that is all about.

You killed it with double-digit points to spare. Excellent shooting! (Something tells me your not done winning classifications just yet.)

(EDIT: Killer X count too, but what was up with those two 8's?) [shocked]

Last edited:
You killed it with double-digit points to spare. Excellent shooting! (Something tells me your not done winning classifications just yet.)

step 1 : front sight focus

step 2: follow through

step 3: shoot 10/X. repeat

8's are what happens when you dont do 1, or 2, or sometimes a bit of both [laugh]

Jason,

I know your statement above was meant as humor and I like humor.
On the other side...

( My scores have plenty of room for improvement so take this for what it's worth, but...)

You need to be thinking "how does he shoot all those 10, n X's... "
NOT... what happened on those 8's
The more you think about bad shots the more bad shots you will shoot..

For short money ..... http://mentalmanagement.ipower.com/content/winning-mind

^^^..I have lanny bassham's book....its definitely worth reading. Not EVERYTHING in there is relevant, but the whole approach mentally is definitely spot on.

I know, I was just busting balls. [grin]

I recently read "With Winning in Mind" and it definitely has changed my mental approach. It's really not possible to overstate the importance of the "mind game" in this sport.

Anyway, this is Jeff's thread so congrats again Jeff!

Nice lookin card Jeff! Congradz!

Sweet that it's not effective till 9/27 so you can shoot the NH Champs on the 24th in the Master class
and beat up on all us "Mediocre Masters"... LOL!

thanks george! I had the same option last year. my master card became "official" like 2 days after the NH state championships. coulda "sandbagged" as an expert...but I didnt. Planning on the same thing this year. besides, rich is a "mediocre master", and WON the Maine state's last weekend, AND the leg match! he'll be the next one with a new card

Back
Top Bottom