Confused about the pistol permit laws in westchester/ny

I have a pistol permit in westchester, and I am sure all of you know the crazy process that surrounds westchester and their restrictions. As a result, I could not even dream of getting a carry permit, so I applied and was granted a "target" permit. So I have a permit from NY that says "target" on it.

I know that this means that I cannot carry my pistol in westchester unless traveling to or from a range, but what if I am leaving westchester county? Since it is a westchester county restriction, does that apply in all other counties? Or am I able to carry my pistol outside of westchester (not in NYC obviously)?

Thanks in advance.

I have a pistol permit in westchester, and I am sure all of you know the crazy process that surrounds westchester and their restrictions. As a result, I could not even dream of getting a carry permit, so I applied and was granted a "target" permit. So I have a permit from NY that says "target" on it.

I know that this means that I cannot carry my pistol in westchester unless traveling to or from a range, but what if I am leaving westchester county? Since it is a westchester county restriction, does that apply in all other counties? Or am I able to carry my pistol outside of westchester (not in NYC obviously)?

Thanks in advance.

Based on my understanding of NYS law, it applies everywhere in NYS. And I would not "carry" it to the range. I would have it locked up unloaded in the trunk.

You may want to talk to the people at SCOPE: http://www.scopeny.org/

I had a NYS Pistol License from Erie County from 1988 to 2004. It had no restriction directly on the state license, but I received a very nice letter from the county restricting it to target and hunting. [thinking]

In talking with LEOs and State Troopers that were members of our shooting clubs, their feeling was that if you were out of the county, the restriction no longer applied if it wasn't typed on the license. IANAL and times may have changed. Ask SCOPE for their thoughts on it before you put your license at risk.

My thoughts only.

I hear from the members of a range in lower Westchester that the DA is not interested in prosecuting people for carrying "outside" their restrictions. As a result PD's have been told to stand down. This is not written down anywhere, just something I heard. Take it for what it's worth.

There are two types of permit in NY STATE a restricted and unrestricted, some counties use other terms such as your "target" permit for "restricted" If you move to another county it will stay as that and you are able to transport to and from the range and keep in your house for home defense. I as an unrestricted permit holder can go through all of NY STATE, except obviously NYC which I still dont agree with and thats a whole nother story. Which county do you plan on moving to?

Back
Top Bottom