Concealed Carry Options

I was having a discussion with a friend today and the topic about concealed carry and exactly what constitutes "in your direct control" then he brought up a good point with all of the options out there for example things like bags and purses made mostly for women that are set up specifically for carry however in this lovely state of assachusetts is that considered "direct control" just some food for thought and a topic of discussion

You're thinking about a fanny pack, aren't you?

j/k [wink]

IANAL, but it would seem to me that an "accessory" such as a hand bag, camera case, briefcase, "man purse" (laptop bag?), etc would be in your direct control as long as it's on your person. The primary disadvantage to this is setting down your bag for whatever reason and losing that control outright - not only in fear of The Law but also of theft.

I'm sure someone will say that this has been covered, but I won't. [grin]
Also, I normally hang back and listen because I rarely have the answer to legal questions. But I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm guessing that as long as the purse/bag is being held then yes it is in control. But if the bag is put down, as they often are, then I would say it is not in direct control anymore.

And then to sum it up with a completely different and obvious option: Best thing is to always CC, eliminates these kind of gray areas.

How'd I do for my first time?[wink]

Good points. Common sense used. Works for me. No mention of a Cat!

You fail on all accounts[smile]

I'm sure someone will say that this has been covered, but I won't. [grin]
Also, I normally hang back and listen because I rarely have the answer to legal questions. But I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm guessing that as long as the purse/bag is being held then yes it is in control. But if the bag is put down, as they often are, then I would say it is not in direct control anymore.

And then to sum it up with a completely different and obvious option: Best thing is to always CC, eliminates these kind of gray areas.

How'd I do for my first time?[wink]

Damn I didnt think you would catch on to the fanny pack guess I am busted LOL as mentioned above I would think it would be very easy to snatch a purse or bag that is why the question to begin with. as for being covered I have only been a member about two month and havent mastered the sight and how to find something specific

Last edited:
If it helps... I have to live with a cat, but even though it's a kinda cool cat, I still hate it.
Cats are parasitic creatures. They whine til you feed them, they eat then hide/sleep for hours, only to awake and whine for more food. They do not know when they are being disciplined or being yelled at, they do not feel remorse.
Cats suck and even though I tolerate them, I'm counting the days til "Loopy"(short for Lupine) finds that catbox/wheel-well in the sky

I hate the idea of purse carry. What's the thing that purse snatches snatch? Here's a hint: It's not fanny packs. My purse is never always under my direct control, I'm not touching it 100% of the time. I don't really understand why a woman would do purse carry, if you're serious about concealed carry, then you should be able to find a way to conceal it on your actual person.

Back
Top Bottom