• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Component storage

PL-52

NES Member
In my own little world, minding my own business
I need some advice, I have a small steel job box that locks. I'd like to use this in my basement where my reloading set -up is to store components that don't fit in my lockable storage now (yes I'm in Mass.). What do I need to do for the humidity , there's heat in the room. It's dry and has power. I have a dehumidifier in the basement, but if I forget to dump it, it shuts off and it can be days before I get down there again. Worse case is I store powder and primers in the place they are now, which means a trip up or down stairs everytime I need something different. Any thoughts? I have access to the large anodes that we use for cathodic protection of underground steel utility lines, but that's basically for rust. Large desiccants? 25 lb box of rice? I'd rather not put anything electrical in with the components.

Last edited:
get a humidity gauge:
Also I don't like storing stuff in "steel" containers. If and when they start to rust it only seems to spread to everything else.
A inexpensive wooden box (toy box from The Pine Store) work well.

I put these in boxes, safes and such https://www.theruststore.com/40-Gram-Rechargeable-Silica-Gel-Canister-P46.aspx
Along with some sort of VCI product https://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Frog-Emitter-Cup-P24.aspx

If you have a hard time remembering to dump your dehumidifier see if one of the mini sump pumps will fit in it and run a hose to a sink or out side.

Fwiw, I was in the same boat regarding the dehumidifier. Ended up putting it up on a shelf so it could gravity feed to the washing machine drain. You could run a small pvc line through the wall or through a window frame to the outside and have it drain that way. Just have to raise the unit high enough so it will drain on its own. Assuming you dont have a sump in the basement or you would of already been draining it there.

I have a sink in the basement, but the basement is walled in half. I only run the dehumidifier in the 1/2 that has my workshop in it. I'll have to find space up above the slop sink height so I can run a pvc drain . Hadn't thought of that... DUH! The sink is on a pump with a float and a check valve.

A locked steel box full of primers and powder can turn into a major kaboom in the event of a fire. Wooden boxes, plastic toolboxes and footlockers with padlocks are legal for storage and much safer.

A locked steel box full of primers and powder can turn into a major kaboom in the event of a fire. Wooden boxes, plastic toolboxes and footlockers with padlocks are legal for storage and much safer.
I wasn't thinking of LOADING the whole box with primers and powder I was thinking 2-4k brass cases, 1-2k bullets, 1000 primers, and 2 lbs. of powder. I'm only reloading to target shoot, not take on a invading army. I think I'll just buy the re-useable desiccants and call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom