Competition Pistol VS Family

do you spend as much time focused on her as you do shooting? my guess would be no. When was the last time the two of you spent quality time, without the kids? how often? the chances of you needing to defend your life are far less likely than you losing a happy marriage through neglect.

You are guessing a lot . I don't compete and train to defend myself, I shoot purely for sport and the thrill of competition . I would say everything you mentioned does not apply to my circumstance

Btw, I find Bill's advice about dry fire practice very helpful . I didn't go to the range this week to practice live fire. Made it home for dinner with the family and then did dry fire drills ... Cheaper too.
We found a babysitter to cover as an experiment to see if that helps when I'm away. Thanks for all your support and advice.

You are guessing a lot . I don't compete and train to defend myself, I shoot purely for sport and the thrill of competition . I would say everything you mentioned does not apply to my circumstance

Jason we all enjoy shooting here...some shoot more than others. I guess it comes down to what is more important to you, your shooting or your family? Your "hobby" takes time and money away from your family and as your children grow older they will have sports and hobbies of their own they would like to pursue. Will you put yours wants and thrills before there's?

We all have hobbies that take time and money away from our families. Its good and healthy to have something that we do just for ourselves, whether it is shooting, hunting fishing, motorcycles, cars or etc. Balance is the key and that's always a hard thing to achieve.

How would you feel if the situation was reversed? Your wife had a hobby that took money and time away from the family and you. It was a "hobby" that she enjoyed alone and you didn't like or care for it and she left you alone to take care of the kids while she was out enjoying herself on a regular basis. I am sure you wouldn't like the situation either.

As you get more and more into the sport, it will put a greater strain on your marriage, wife and children. Your will have to make a decision ...which is more important your "thrill" or your family. That will be your call to make

I know because I have been there too... in fact I think many others here have been where you are now.

Good Luck and I hope you can find your answer to have it all work out !

God bless my wife. I shoot every weekend and every other Monday night. My wife runs a successful business from our home and also home schools our 8 year old daughter. They are together all the time. Here's how it works for us. My wife gives me a list of what she wants done on the weekend. I pick either Sat or Sunday to complete the work. I have one day for me. She has the other.

My job...Complete the list. If I complete the list, we are at peace. So, my experience dictates that you have your wife make the rules, you just play the game. If there isn't a defined expectation of what she wants done, how can you ever hit the mark and make her happy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

God bless my wife. I shoot every weekend and every other Monday night. My wife runs a successful business from our home and also home schools our 8 year old daughter. They are together all the time. Here's how it works for us. My wife gives me a list of what she wants done on the weekend. I pick either Sat or Sunday to complete the work. I have one day for me. She has the other.

My job...Complete the list. If I complete the list, we are at peace. So, my experience dictates that you have your wife make the rules, you just play the game. If there isn't a defined expectation of what she wants done, how can you ever hit the mark and make her happy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice, something to consider. Thanks . Sounds like a cool lady

Btw, I find Bill's advice about dry fire practice very helpful . I didn't go to the range this week to practice live fire. Made it home for dinner with the family and then did dry fire drills ... Cheaper too.
We found a babysitter to cover as an experiment to see if that helps when I'm away. Thanks for all your support and advice.

I got into dry fire as a substitute for trips to the range and it has proven to be very effective. My next move was to build an "Airsoft" range in my garage. Using reduced size targets I can duplicate all of the Steel Challenge stages and practice for short money, like $.006 per shot or a 400 round practice session for $.68.

I agree with Bill's advice very much, no surprise as we are influenced by the same source.

The follow on to this is, not as a fixed rule, but sort of in general, if you dry fire methodically and trade all those matches for live fire practice, you will be better....eg instead of going to a match every weekend, in 3 hours total you can get a great practice session in with as much ammo as you can afford to shoot. You will not be gone the whole day, etc....

Then go to 1 weekend match a month and perform better.

I speculate you will go much farther performance wise with this strategy.

I agree with Bill's advice very much, no surprise as we are influenced by the same source.

The follow on to this is, not as a fixed rule, but sort of in general, if you dry fire methodically and trade all those matches for live fire practice, you will be better....eg instead of going to a match every weekend, in 3 hours total you can get a great practice session in with as much ammo as you can afford to shoot. You will not be gone the whole day, etc....

Then go to 1 weekend match a month and perform better.

I speculate you will go much farther performance wise with this strategy.

ONCE. A MONTH ! Lol
I have a van just for shooting !

If you were golfing would it be a different story?

No, I think she supports this more than if I was golfing. Shooting competition pistol is interesting and a little bit of an extreme sport ( USPSA at least ) and I think she likes that part of it. Things have improved since I first posted . We got a babysitter to cover and listening to her concerns seemed to make all the difference. So for now on with the show. Hope to see everyone this weekend at Harvard !

Back
Top Bottom