Competition Pistol VS Family

Hi Everyone, I am having a struggle balancing my need to fulfill my desire to compete and stay on top of my game with my wife's needs. I am sure many of you battle this as well with your significant others. I have been trying to make compromises . I was hoping for some experiences or advice from the community.
Thanks ,
Freshly out of doghouse

You're not giving much info on why she is ticked off. Could be money spent, time away from home etc.

Here's a start. If she appreciates the safety you provide by ccw, then you owe it to both of you to be proficient.

And I am sure someone will ask "Is she hot?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a start. If she appreciates the safety you provide by ccw, then you owe it to both of you to be proficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried that angle but my wife knows that competition will get you killed in the street.

What helped me the most was getting a job where I can screw out at 3:00 to go to the range and not interfere with family time. It is also important that she has her own car so you're not limiting her transportation when you're at matches.

She is upset because I am off having fun and she is home with four little boys. I try to be extra good when I am home and I get off work early to be with them during the week, but a few years of this is starting to wear her thin. We agreed to get a babysitter to help when I am traveling. She does not like guns at all . And to answer the question - she is sweet and beautiful

My first season competing was 4yrs ago when the kids were very young and not yet playing sports. I got some heat that season because I was practicing after work every Weds and shooting USPSA almost every Sunday. I did whatever I could to spend as much time as possible with the kids on Saturdays so the wife could do what she needed to that day, or we could spend time as a family etc. Over the past couple of seasons it's been really hard to make matches with both kids playing soccer and the games on Sunday. I get to practices on Weds and get to shoot at our matches at HSA once a month but that's about it. I had to explain to my daughter yesterday that I was going to miss one of her games because I forgot the season wasn't going to be over and signed up for a Sunday slot at Monson's big match. She was ok with it more than I am.....her older brother has asked me a few times to find a different hobby because "we only get to see you two days a week and then you're gone all of one of them for a match" [sad2]. I'm building an Open Steel .22 to see if he'll get into the sport and we can spend time together doing that...we'll see.

The way I see it your family obligations will allow you to shoot or they won't. If you can't shuffle other parts of your schedule to fit in family time (or just spouse time) then you're going to have to give up shooting some matches because you'll probably lose all your guns in the divorce anyway.

I am sure somethings will change and the availability will free up and then go away again but in the long run family is more important. But to be a good husband you do need time for yourself, time to recharge, and if that means time competing at the range I am sure she and the family would understand. Find a balance and enjoy both worlds.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

I think each family is a little different.

Before my wife and I had a son, I was just getting into shooting the year before. I basically shot almost every weekend with my friends at mostly IDPA at the time.

Last year I shot every IDPA major in the area and then as many matches in the "other" game as I could fit into my self-imposed rules. This year, its all USPSA.

Once we had our son, I imposed a rule of "every other weekend I'll do a match", and that seems to work out somewhat, but other times it is pushing it too far. Some of these matches can run long with long delays, etc.. and some places don't even have cell coverage.

I may consider cutting this back even more in the future to one match every 3 weeks or something..

I'm lucky to get to my home range for an hour or two to blast away at some plate racks or chrono some rounds maybe 4 times a year..

When a mom is at home every day taking care of kid(s), and then one of the two weekend days you want to say "see ya later, I'm going to the range to screw off ALL day", it can be stressful to mom. It can help to be extra nice all the time, show them appreciation, help out everywhere.

With all these restrictions, the best way I feel to keep up the skills is dryfire. I think Bill is probably a good example of this, although I'm not too familiar with his exact training regimen. I know dryfire is important and needed to keep your skills up and progress, but it can be hard to get the motivation.

In the end I think it will be different for each family, and you need to figure out how to properly balance the things that matter to you.

Last edited:
She is upset because I am off having fun and she is home with four little boys. I try to be extra good when I am home and I get off work early to be with them during the week, but a few years of this is starting to wear her thin. We agreed to get a babysitter to help when I am traveling. She does not like guns at all . And to answer the question - she is sweet and beautiful

Start bringing the boys with you...

/issue

Hi Everyone, I am having a struggle balancing my need to fulfill my desire to compete and stay on top of my game with my wife's needs. I am sure many of you battle this as well with your significant others. I have been trying to make compromises . I was hoping for some experiences or advice from the community.
Thanks ,
Freshly out of doghouse

What do you get for your compromises? Not getting yelled at? What was her compromise?

What do you get for your compromises? Not getting yelled at? What was her compromise?

Isn't that the typical liberal's idea of 'compromise'?? You give and give and give until you have nothing left. They compromise and agree to take all you're giving up.

That's the golden question my friend . I have 4 kids to add to the mix as well. It's harder when all the sporting events happen during a shoot. They let me know if I'm being selfish or not . They understand my love for the sport but there are certain events it's obvious you attend. It helps that my wife likes to shoot too but can't to let me go. Even if you work out a schedule with 4 kids you know something is going to change. The struggle is we know what we should do but try to justify doing the other. Besides Jason you can afford to miss a couple shoots , maybe we can catch up then

Yes my older son has been coming with me every weekend . He has aspergers and his time at the range has helped him a lot

You should get that published as a viable therapy for aspergers... Although that level of self help will piss of the MDA... Not only is he getting better (for the condition) but he's getting more proficient with firearms... Here, that's a "win-win"...

Dry fire definitely helps a lot in terms of most performance gain for least stress on family. Most people can probably make the time for an hour a day after the kids are in bed and the wife is occupied. An hour of focused live fire mid week should be enough to work the dry fire/live fire loop. This should be enough to make GM or IDPA master.

Then plan far in advance for major matches (I frame this as my "me" time), and do as many local matches as you can get away with. When I feel like I haven't had enough family time I sleep in and play with my kid.

The most important thing in life is family.

That said, you need to negotiate with her the time (and money) spent in competition vs with family. Negotiate ahead of time so both of you are happy.

Because of family, I classify myself as "recreational shooter". Sunday mornings are usually my range time... it is up to the individuals as to how much time they WANT to dedicate to family and then shooting sport..... YOU have to figure that balance of time with your family....

She does not yell. She is actually very supportive . I think she is sad that I have a mistress , shooting. I encourage her to do stuff to feed her soul. I encourage he to take trips and have fun. I do admit that I am obsessed with competing and I probably have some issues I have to deal with to give up some trigger time.... It's not easy. And she is not saying I can't go.

She does not yell. She is actually very supportive . I think she is sad that I have a mistress , shooting. I encourage her to do stuff to feed her soul. I encourage he to take trips and have fun. I do admit that I am obsessed with competing and I probably have some issues I have to deal with to give up some trigger time.... It's not easy. And she is not saying I can't go.

I fail to see a problem here

How much time do you spend at the range? Christ, I wish I had the time and money to be at the range enough that it was impacting other facets of my life.

How much time do you spend at the range? Christ, I wish I had the time and money to be at the range enough that it was impacting other facets of my life.

I am gone one weekend day a week on average. The whole weekend about 6-7 times a year

If she doesn't yell, is very supportive and doesn't say you can't you, then it doesn't sound like she isn't happy

My guess is the "she is very supportive" is not totally true (edit: or this post would have not even been created). She might not yell and whatnot, some people are not aggressive.

If she doesn't yell, is very supportive and doesn't say you can't you, then it doesn't sound like she isn't happy

We had the "talk " yesterday About my shooting schedule which is on the family calendar . People can feel upset with you and not treat you poorly You can tell when someone you care about is not happy with you. I am trying to find a balance between what makes me happy and her happy. I was looking for other people's experiences because I know I am not the only one who struggles with this issue

We had the "talk " yesterday About my shooting schedule which is on the family calendar . People can feel upset with you and not treat you poorly You can tell when someone you care about is not happy with you. I am trying to find a balance between what makes me happy and her happy. I was looking for other people's experiences because I know I am not the only one who struggles with this issue

I have had the same talk several times. It sounds like a similar situation I've found myself in. The solution is to cut back on matches and time away from family. I think you knew this answer from the start but wanted some support...

Things are better on her end after I listened to her complaints but this is only a temporary patch . This problem seems to come and go, I don't think PMS helps ;)

Back
Top Bottom