Comparing mp9c and Sig 239

I'm a current owner of a mp9c. I enjoy it but I think there is more out there that I would prefer.

My father loves my mp9c and he may take it from me if I were to get a new gun. I was at a local shop and held a Sig 239. This gun was very comfortable and I fell in love instantly.

I'm curious of the size comparisons. Unfortunately I didn't have my mp9c on me, neither did the shop have one in stock. I'm curious if anyone has both of these firearms? Any huge difference in size?

The specs say the 239 is a hair shorter at the muzzle, but about 3/4 of an inch at the grip. But then I saw people comparing these to the size of a Glock 19 or 23 with I feel is a lot bigger then the mp9c.

For me, concealing the mp9c isn't too easy, so I don't want to get much bigger of a gun.

Also, in general what are your opinions comparing the two firearms? Just looking for some insight.

Derek

I am a big fan of SA/DA pistols. Given the choice I'll take one over the striker fired weapon. I like the de-cocking mechanism too.

I have an M&p 40C, but I recently got a Beretta 9000 and although it doesn't have the de-cocker like my Beretta 8000, or my Sig P225, I like having the hammer.

Last edited:
I have the M&P 9c, my brother has the Sig 239- the size difference is pretty noticeable or significant, at least to me and only becomes moreso upon concealed carrying. I have a similar situation, I actually shoot my brother's .40 239 better than my own M&P and he actually likes shooting my M&P better than his Sig. One factor about the Sig is that it is not only bigger than the M&P, but it's also significantly heavier too because it doesn't have the polymer chassis that the M&P does. If you're looking for a concealed carry weapon and find the M&P to be too difficult to carry, you will find the 239 close to impossible- but there are great holsters available which would help with most guns and, all in all, the Sig is a terrific gun which I really enjoy shooting I just feel there are better options if you are looking for a concealed carry option.

Thanks for the comparison. If you're ever really bored some day would you mind taking some comparison pics of your mp and your brothers 239. Its not too important so please don't go out of your way. If you cant its not a big deal

I care not one bit for DA/SA handguns nor for SIGs.

I'll take the M&P every day and twice on Sunday. That may be why I have two.

I own both (239 is my main cary, MP is my backup). the sig is heavier which makes it a better blunt weapon if you run out of rounds, but also that takes a bunch of the recoil out. I personaly like it best as Sig has a very good reliability rating (which i've run mine realy hard and it's always worked without a problem)

FWIW, I replaced my SIG 239 with an M&P9c. Both are high quality pistols and you can't go wrong with either choice. The 229 is heavier and a better range gun while the M&P9c is lighter a better all day carry gun.

FWIW, I replaced my SIG 239 with an M&P9c. Both are high quality pistols and you can't go wrong with either choice. The 229 is heavier and a better range gun while the M&P9c is lighter a better all day carry gun.

The 229 and the 239 are completely different units.

I have a P239. The Summer Carry Holster from Galco is awful. I feel that the grip of the gun sits too far up and the only place that it conceals even remotely well is at your 5:00. It is significantly heavy for only a 7/8+1 round weapon. I thread needles with my Sig and I love the trigger in SA. After you take away the dead space in the SA trigger it becomes a hair trigger pull. I will never get rid of it. I've shot glocks before and I feel you can't even compare the triggers on each. I'm not sure if you have a trigger job on you m&p but right out of the box Sig trigger makes the m&p trigger look bad.

Last edited:
I owned a P239 and couldn't get used to it. The grip was so hard cornered I needed a Hogue finger groove grip just to shoot it w/o hurting my hand, and then it printed like crazy. It was very heavy. I also don't care for Sig's high bore axis; it makes for more recoil.

I now own an M&P9c, and it has excellent grip ergonomics, it hides and rides well with a good IWB holster, is fairly light weight, and a low bore axis with little recoil. I won't compare the trigger mechanisms, but all else equal I much prefer the M&P9c.

Thanks for the advice. I may just take the extra money I'd save from keeping my mp9c and put it into night sights and a trigger job.

Back
Top Bottom