Colt 1911's vs. Glocks - Range Report

Mountain

NES Member
In celebration of my day at the rally, I conducted a shoot-out comparison similar to my impromptu single-stack 9mm comparison from a couple weeks ago. This time the comparison is between classic Colt 1911's and everyone's favorite Tupperware gun, the Glocks.

The line-up:

1st Gen Colt Delta Elite 10mm
Mid-90's Colt Custom Shop 1911
Glock 34 Gen4 9mm
Glock 23C (factory ported) Gen3 .40 S&W. Actually the frame is a G19, but no difference from a 23C frame.

Paper punched from 15 yards with cheap range ammo, with the exception of an encore re-dux of the 23C with PDX1.

I was a little bit surprised by the results, including a small twist with the Delta Elite. I measured 5-shot groups and also the best 4-shots group size just to toss out my flubs. This is the first time I have shot right handed with both hands since shoulder surgery in May, so that's my lame excuse. Here's the lowdown, in order of worst to best:

Colt Delta Elite (10mm Armscor) - damn near off the paper with a group size of 7.8" (5) / 5.25" (best 4). Hey, I thought 10mm was supposed to be badass...

G23C (.40 S&W 20 year old Speer Lawman) - Evenly spread group 4.0" (5) and 4.0" (best 4). Oh well, good enough to hit a torso.

G34 (9mm Win white box) - 3.5" (5) / 2.0" (best 4). Pushed one out there a bit. Though this one would be numero uno.

G23C (again, but this time with PDX1) - 3.25" (5) / 2.1" (best 4). I wanted to test some SD ammo for my recently assembled FrankenGlock. Very pleased with the PDX1.

Colt Custom 1911 (45ACP, generic milsurp ball, no idea who made it) - 2.6" (5) / 2.25" (best 4). This one has always been a sweet shooter, with an action as glassy smooth as its finish.

And (drum roll please), Numero Uno...

Colt Delta Elite (again but this time with the ancient .40 S&W Speer Lawman) - 2.0" (5) / 1.2" (best 4). Oh the sacrilege and where do I turn in my man card? But damn, what a difference! I did not see this coming.

That's all folks. Here's the pic:

1911 vs Tupperware.jpg

G23C PDX1 pic missing.

Back
Top Bottom