• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt 1903 FTF with Full Mag

Win

NES Member
I recently bought a Colt 1903 made in 1917. I got a deal on the gun because the barrel was bulged. Otherwise the gun appears to be in fantastic shape - used to be sure but with very little wear. I bought a new barrel for it at In L:ead We Trust then cleaned and oiled the gun . About half the time I got a failure to feed with the nose of the cartridge hitting the top of the chamber such that if I subtly pulled back on the slide the cartridge went right it. This original problem appeared to happen on a full or nearly empty magazine. I did not notice a discernable pattern.

So...I bought a wolf spring kit for the gun and changed out the recoil spring (the original was slightly but not badly bent) and changed the magazine spring. Now, I have the same situation but only when there are more than 4 rounds in the magazine. When I load the magazine fully it frequently, thou not invariably, has that same nose up FTF and I just subtly pull back on the slide and the cartridge falls right in. Once the magazine is down to 4 rounds, or if I only load it to 4 rounds, the gun functions without issue.

Has anyone had this experience? What might I try next? Thanks for any thoughts!

It appears to be the original magazine. The gun came with the old cardboard box and instructions too. I should have mentioned that. It's pretty neat.

Yes. I'd happily buy a new magazine. I just wanted to hear from those with more experience than myself before I took my next step. Thank you.

I’ve had similar experiences with failure to feed with older semi automatic pistols Ive found it to be caused by weak magazine springs more often than not.

Nose up FTF on a new mag spring and recoil spring probably means deformed feed lips. I assume that the feed ramp is clean of any burrs, the slide moves freely, and the mag isn't wobbling around in the body.

Do you have any idea of what caused the barrel bulge? If it was caused by a second discharge after a squib, it's probable that the mag was also damaged. The fact that the recoil spring was also bent could also indicate a discharge with a clogged barrel.

I have 3 mags for my 1903. Two originals and one a/m and they all run perfectly. I would say that new mag on its way will probably fix your issue. Good luck!

Do you have any idea of what caused the barrel bulge? If it was caused by a second discharge after a squib, it's probable that the mag was also damaged. The fact that the recoil spring was also bent could also indicate a discharge with a clogged barrel.
The dealer and I hypothesized squib but can't be certain.

I one original magazine and four aftermarkets for my 1903 and I don't remember the gun ever jamming or failing to feed. I agree with the others that either the feed lips need to be adjusted or the magazine spring needs to be replaced.

I find the 1903 a lot of fun to shoot, the recoil & muzzle flip is minimal and there are plenty of shooter grade guns out there.

I obtained my new magazine and gave it a try. It helped a little but the problem remained - FTF with nose up. I took out the old, bulged, barrel and noticed that the mouth of the barrel is much more accommodating than the new one I purchased. I'm wondering if I should try to file and then polish the new barrel mouth in an effort to make it look more like the original barrel?

New Barrel

image0.jpeg

Old Barrel

image1.jpeg

Comparison

image2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom