• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Col. North gets the boot

Not a Wayne fan, but it appears the biggest thing I've read that people have a problem with is $200K of wardrobe costs over 15 or so years. North WORKS for AckMack. (Note: 15 years means $13K/yr. That's a lot. But the guy LIVES in suits. And they aren't JC Penney off-the-rack suits. You're talking 4 suits and accoutrements a year. Sounds like a lot, but not for a guy pressing as much flesh as him.)

I've never liked the looks of Wayne. He just looks too smarmy. But damn he's gotten the job done in a lot of fronts. But he still is a lobbyist at heart. Which is where the smarmy comes from.

BUT. . . . Wayne's NRA has filed suit against AckMack to find out where the $ is going. So it's not like you've got Person X with AckMack fighting Person Y with AckMack. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Hoping we get resolved on AckMack without a big hit to membership.

BUT. . . . Wayne's NRA has filed suit against AckMack to find out where the $ is going. So it's not like you've got Person X with AckMack fighting Person Y with AckMack. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
Wayne's NRA filed suit against Ack-Mack, and Ack-Mack filed suit against Wayne's NRA.

Ollie made the mistake of trying to horn in on Wayne's Ack-Mack action and get some for himself.

If NRA gives Ack-Mack the boot, you can bet the replacement will be fully controlled by exactly the same people. Just like Mercury was a "replacement" that turned out to be an Ack-Mack subsidiary.

Many (most?) of the BOD are only there because of celebrity. Name a single thing Ted Nugent has done except preach to the choir and make us look like child-bride loving loudmouthed a**h***s.

Wait. It's OK to think that TheNuuuj is annoying???? I truly am among friends here. LOL. (Plus I never liked his music. Sorrynotsorry.)

It's hard to have a National non-profit run by a big TEAM of people that aren't just there to be window-dressing. Look at all of your major public non-profits. Lots of big names. A tiny group runs the whole shebang. Same for the NRA. I'd love a pile of good people in there, too. But it's like elections in HS. It's a popularity contest. In order to get the right people in there, you have to rig it so that no "populars" get on the ballot. Which really isn't what you want to be doing. Just another method of being shady. And you'd have to CONTINUOUSLY do it in order to keep control in the "smart people" instead of "popular people" camp.

Is the NRA spending your money effectively? Seen stories that they are also in serious financial straits.

In all seriousness, between the internal fighting, the conflict with AckMac, and the assault on the NRA by New York state authorities, it really looks to me like the organization is in big trouble. There even seems to be a real chance that it will go under. How will it affect the pro-gun-rights movement if the NRA, the most visible advocate of guns and gun rights, falls apart, regardless of the reason?

You're really saying something when an organization is so corrupt that even Ollie North can't hang.

Yeahbut. . . . Fawn Hall. At least he gave America Ms. Hall. But LOL@your comment. I didn't understand his Presidency last year. Although he might be a poster child for getting your gun rights back. ;)

When times are good, you need to be preparing for bad times. LaPierre and crew apparently don't subscribe to this, and now, when the New York assault should be the only threat, the organization faces it weakened by cancer within, financially unprepared and sounding desperate and pathetic. That, coincidentally, is the way they have always sounded when begging for money. But this time they really mean it.

Maybe it's good that Ollie's gone. I don't know. But if LaPierre doesn't go as well, it's nothing.

Last edited:
Is the NRA spending your money effectively? Seen stories that they are also in serious financial straits.

CarryGuard and their other insurance stuff was a disaster and they lost a ton of money on the botched new training aids. I also get the feeling Wayne's wardrobe costs also included dry-cleaning. Those sorts of suits and cleaning are known to run up astronomical bills in the legal industry. Which is why Wayne should be paying that out of pocket and not getting reimbursement.

Lapierre needed to go with him, both are corrupt to the core and nothing good can come from either. No more money for the NRA, they actively work AGAINST the interests of gun owners, let the government fund them.

In all seriousness, between the internal fighting, the conflict with AckMac, and the assault on the NRA by New York state authorities, it really looks to me like the organization is in big trouble. There even seems to be a real chance that it will go under. How will it affect the pro-gun-rights movement if the NRA, the most visible advocate of guns and gun rights, falls apart, regardless of the reason?

Let me throw out something to ponder.

What if the NRA going out of business were actually a good thing. Think about it. On the national level, anti-abortion legislation at the federal level has basically gone nowhere. So, the anti-pro-choice groups started attacking at the state level. Getting more and more restrictive laws passed to basically accomplish what they want. Maybe us 2A folks need to consider a similar strategy???

States have made a lot of progress on concealed carry, etc. (with exceptions), but we need a strong Washington presence that can go into a congressperson's office and say to him or her "Nice gig ya got here. Be a shame if I had to tell my 673,292 NRA members in your district you're not on our side." That's all I want from NRA, not bloated money-burning programs that try to duplicate stuff that's better done by private companies. like concealed carry insurance. The worst threat they're facing is loss of their tax-exempt status because of their own sloppy bookkeeping and cozy deals.

States have made a lot of progress on concealed carry, etc. (with exceptions), but we need a strong Washington presence that can go into a congressperson's office and say to him or her "Nice gig ya got here. Be a shame if I had to tell my 673,292 NRA members in your district you're not on our side." That's all I want from NRA, not bloated money-burning programs that try to duplicate stuff that's better done by private companies. like concealed carry insurance. The worst threat they're facing is loss of their tax-exempt status because of their own sloppy bookkeeping and cozy deals.

That's EXACTLY what they should be doing instead of "Let's make a deal on just what parts of the 2A we'll negotiate away."
This red flag thing has me more pissed off that anything I've seen in 40+ years as a member.
Not one damn thing short of total disarmament will satisfy these people.
You don't negotiate with that, you crush it.

Back
Top Bottom