• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Co-mingling Sights

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
I have a Shield with some Ameriglo tritium i Dot sights. They are ok at low light, but I have a feeling these sat on the shelf for many years and I'm not getting the full brightness from the tritium. These things really should have the manufacture date posted on websites. I would also love the fiber optic brightness at range.

I am now thinking about buying TFX Pros. Saw a package that had the front pro sight with the orange ring and flat black back sights with no dots or tritium. That's idea, as the price is much lower. I was wondering if I could just install the front sight for the TFX Pros and use my existing rear 2-dot Ameriglo sight. Would that throw things off using unmatched sights? I'd use the blacked out TFX sights if I had to, but the rear sight of the Shield is a bitch to remove.

Sorry--edited to say my i Dot Ameriglows are 1 dot rear with a u channel.

Last edited:
Point of Aim vs Point of impact will tell you all you need to know.
If you want to co-mingle, try it. If you don't like it, try something else. You are the only one you need to make happy.
That and nice, tight groups in the darkness as well as at noonday.
~Matt

shouldn't be a problem but get the same height as the one you're replacing to match that existing ameriglo rear.

I sort of doubt your ameriglo tritium vials are weak. tritium has a pretty long half life of 12 ish years. how are you examining them for brightness? the best way to check is to go into a dark room and allow your eyes several minutes to adjust, then look at them. can do the same test with fresh sights for comparison. also are the ports over the vials clean?

my best guess is that the TFX pro's may sit higher, so if only replacing the front that may bring the POI down a bit. personally if i were replacing sights i would just replace the whole set and be done with it.

I sort of doubt your ameriglo tritium vials are weak. tritium has a pretty long half life of 12 ish years. how are you examining them for brightness? the best way to check is to go into a dark room and allow your eyes several minutes to adjust, then look at them. can do the same test with fresh sights for comparison. also are the ports over the vials clean?

my best guess is that the TFX pro's may sit higher, so if only replacing the front that may bring the POI down a bit. personally if i were replacing sights i would just replace the whole set and be done with it.

Maybe this is just my inexperience with night sights. I was expecting them to be much brighter than they are, but it is completely possible that my expectation is just not realistic. I saw this website showing night sights that appear to be many levels brighter than mine, but maybe that's photoshop trickery.

Do You Really Need Night Sights? - The Firearm Blog

Beyond that though, they do wash out pretty easily in a lit room, which is why I was thinking about maybe getting the TFX Pro front for the fiber/daytime use.

Maybe this is just my inexperience with night sights. I was expecting them to be much brighter than they are, but it is completely possible that my expectation is just not realistic. I saw this website showing night sights that appear to be many levels brighter than mine, but maybe that's photoshop trickery.

Do You Really Need Night Sights? - The Firearm Blog

Beyond that though, they do wash out pretty easily in a lit room, which is why I was thinking about maybe getting the TFX Pro front for the fiber/daytime use.

that photo in TFB is absurd. night sights would never be that bright relative to the lighting around the gun.

typically night sights won't become visible to the eye until it gets pretty dark. for example even the brightest tritium sights are like marginally "lit up" during sunset. or a room with any lights on wouldn't be visible. perhaps like a night-light in an otherwise dark room the vials should then be easily visible. try going in a room with no windows, get it pitch black. give your eyes a few minutes to adjust. if the vials aren't easily visible under such conditions then they're either dead or plugged up with debris.

while this isn't exactly your question, I don't even bother with night sights. i practice shooting without sighting. so call natural point-of-aim. getting that tuned and solidified is more useful than the fanciest night sights around.

Last edited:
typically night sights won't become visible to the eye until it gets pretty dark. for example even the brightest tritium sights are like marginally "lit up" during sunset. or a room with any lights on wouldn't be visible. perhaps like a night-light or so.

while this isn't exactly your question, I don't even bother with night sights. i practice shooting without sighting. so call natural point-of-aim. getting that tuned and solidified is more useful than the fanciest night sights around.

Good info. Don't get me wrong, my tritium sights do glow in a dark room. Just that the picture on that website makes them look like neon lights as opposed to the much subtler glow of my sights. Just thought maybe mine were not glowing 100%.

I've been hearing more and more about this "no sights" style and I'm intrigued. I'm pretty new to the world of LTC and firearms, so I figured I'll get good groupings with ironsights and then move on from there, but I like the concept of natural point of aim. Just saw a video last night of someone preaching target focus as opposed to the front sight focus I've been practicing. It was described as better for real world target acquisition and tracking in a tense situation. I suppose that requires a good natural point of aim to use.

his principles for natural point-of aim apply to any draw regardless of the whole RDS thing. personally i have no use for an RMR/RDS on pistol although it can be used to test one's natural point-of-aim without having to shoot. another option are the laser dry fire systems like itarget or other cheaper ones.

iTargetPro (Laser Firearm Training System) Shoot Your Gun in the House

his teaching here is great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9MC7O_CtA

I'll have to watch that later at home. Looks like he has a 10-15 degree cant to to his grip stance, almost like a modified CAR.

Back
Top Bottom