CMC Power Mag - effecting reset/trigger?

DE1911G using 8rd CMC Power Mag.

Using this particular mag (new), sometimes after the last round is chambered and the mag is empty, the trigger "sticks" enough that it won't reset. If I drop the mag, the trigger/reset is fine. It feels as if there is some interference, but it's smooth in all other circumstances. Other times, there's no problem at all with it. Any ideas of what's going on with this thing?

Have you measured the width of the mag and compared it with the good mags? The side of the mag could be rubbing on the trigger bow.

Strange, I too would have guessed that the trigger bow was dragging on the mag body. The strange thing is that CMC uses Metalform tubes which are among the best in the business and extremely unlikely to be out of spec. I would also remove the trigger bow for closer examination.

Metalform mags are extremely reliable as this company makes mags for Colt. They are easily identifiable by the weld that runs up the center of the rear of the tube. I have been using them with no problems for over 20 years.

I've compared the dimensions of the CMC to Meg-Car mags, which exhibit no issues. Between them, the only dimensional difference I could find is the CMC is only slightly thicker near the top of the mag, in the area just below where the follower is at rest. And by slightly, I'm meaning a couple of thousandths of an inch. The problem only occurs after the last round is chambered and the magazine is empty. When the trigger does stick, it resets freely if I move the magazine by playing with the base pad.

CMC mentions positioning the (unconventional) follower manually, prior to inserting an empty mag into a gun:

"When “bench testing” for slide lock, before inserting the magazine into the pistol, first press down on the top forward section of the follower before inserting the magazine into the pistol. This will place the follower in the same position it would be after the last round was fired out of the magazine. If the follower was seated properly when the slide is manually cycled to the rear it will engage the slide stop, locking open the slide."

Placing an empting mag into the gun, with the slide closed, I cannot get the trigger to stick. CMC mentions the Power Mag follower being designed for positive slide lock. Without stripping the pistol down, it seems the follower being dragged/tilted forward after the last round is chambered, causes the magazine tube to then be tensioned against the trigger bow. Perhaps the trigger bow is just slightly out of spec? For now, I'm just going to set that CMC mag aside. While googling this issue, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing this malfunction.

Last edited:
Problems with 1911 mags?

No way
I don't believe it for a second

OK serious time. When I bought my first 1911 I picked up a set of 6 Chip McCormick mags because someone told me they were the bees knees. They sucked. I thought my gun was defective, but it was the mags all along. I then got a set of 6 Tripp Research mags that lasted me several years, I changed the springs yearly until the feed lips worked their way out of spec from being dropped on the ground so many times. I sent those in for tuning, they came back good as new. I also have an array of Wilson Combat mags, a few of each of their offerings, and most of those run great, but one (that is identical in every way I can measure) will not feed the last round.

Long story short, buy lots of mags, use the ones that work, give away the ones that don't .

Back
Top Bottom