Climber or Hang on stand

Well, im in the market to get a treestand, but dont know what would be best. (New to this) Ill be hunting public land (Prob miles standish mostly) and im not sure if a climber or hang on stand would be best.

I tend to think of a hang on as something you put up and leave there for a while, so for public land I'd probably go with a climber. I have a Summit Viper, it's a great stand and I really like it but I have to admit it can be a pain in the butt hauling around on your back. If you go that route take your time walking in so you don't work up a sweat and scent the place out. Also, do yourself a favor and wear the safety harness.

Next year I want to try the alternative, find a bunch of private properties to hunt and get half a dozen hang ons.

I love my climber I use it 90% of the time and in my 15 or so years hunting have never sat in anything more comfortable than my Summit (sometimes a little too comfortable)

just like Bruce and brian, i also have the Summit (i think its the viper). Great stand for the price. theres one that costs an extra $100, and the only difference is that it it 10lbs lighter.

if you go for a summit, make sure you add some padding to the back of the seat, theres a metal that annoys the hell out of me, but the rocking of the tree still makes me fall asleep once in a while, LOL.

if you are going to public land, use the climber.

Wherever i go, i like to go in around 4:30am, to start hunting around 6:00am. Because you will always sweat a little carrying that thing on your back. Another option is to chain it to the tree, but it might get stolen. specially in a place like Myles Standish.

Thanks for the replies, I kinda figured that would be the way to go since if I used a lock on I would have to take it down every day. (Not willing to leave it to be stolen, too many people go through there)

Thanks for the replies, I kinda figured that would be the way to go since if I used a lock on I would have to take it down every day. (Not willing to leave it to be stolen, too many people go through there)

make sure you bring a hand saw with you to cut any branches. and dont use a dead tree. also, if you get motion sickness, dont go past 15-17feet. I like to go around 20'-24' (depends on the tree, usually as high as i can) and when it gets windy, that tree rocks. But i like it.

Both have their places. But being your first stand a climber will give you the most flexibility go hunt whereever you want. But sometimes the tree you want to set up in is not climber suitable. If you can get both that is ideal. I have 13 hangons and a summit bushmaster climber.

... and when it gets windy, that tree rocks. But i like it.

Zzzzzzz....... [shocked]

I too have a Summit Viper SS climber. The max range I carry it is about 3 miles. Very secure & easy to use, but do take some time getting to know it very well, since you'll likely be using it in the dark at times. And as mentioned, take care not to work up a sweat hauling & climbing. I dress very light for packing the climber, and pull my heavy gear up to the stand after I'm situated. Also, I always keep a knife accessible, and a couple of screw-in steps handy, just in case. There are times I leave the stand out, but the area I hunt isn't very popular. I slide it down out of sight and cover it up some. For toting my gear, I use a waist pack which I strap to the stand during the hike. Once up, I use a line to retrieve it & my bow/gun.

I also have hanger. PITA to deal with, and I leave it up. It's quicker to access but a little hairy compared to the climber. I've used the screw-in steps and climbing sticks. The sticks are the way to go. There are some srew-in steps on the market which consist of two parts, where you leave the anchors screwed in and slide the steps off as you climb down, which would leave the stand mostly secure. I might give them a try.

For my shortest distance to stand, I have a ladder stand. Big effort to setup, but I can get out & up to it very quickly. It was only $80, so if someone wants to mess with it, not a huge loss.

I just got back into hunting a few years ago and I've acquired
1 Climber
3 Hangers
2 Ladder Stands
3 Ground Blinds

It just like having a tool box. A very big, heavy, expensive one. You use the correct tool for what the situation calls for.

I also have hanger. PITA to deal with, and I leave it up. It's quicker to access but a little hairy compared to the climber. I've used the screw-in steps and climbing sticks. The sticks are the way to go. There are some srew-in steps on the market which consist of two parts, where you leave the anchors screwed in and slide the steps off as you climb down, which would leave the stand mostly secure. I might give them a try.

sounds interesting.

i leave my summit in the woods, even though it is private property, there are some trails and i see people walking around once in a while. I have 3 cables securing it to the tree, and a hidden game cam pointing at it that i on a tree near by.

i keep finding coyote tracks (one of the trails has some sand) but they just dont like to come around when i am out there. If we could only use a red varmint light, i would stay out all night.

Back
Top Bottom