• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cleaning kits?

I'm getting back into shooting after ~30 years so I've got some learning/re-learning to do. As far as cleaning products go I was thinking of picking up the M-Pro 7 kit that FS sells as a starting point.

Is this a good way to go, or should I just pick up what I need as I need it?

I'm open to all comments/suggestions regarding products, brands, etc.

Either way works. I've had several 'kits' over the years. Now, I have two basic sets. A Hoppe's and a Kleen Bore. Between these two manufacturers, I can usually find the brush, jag, etc that I need. I suggest getting only what you need, but make sure you buy something that you can expand.

Also, get a nice tackle box or other such container to keep it all in. I also have a small plastic box that I can stick enough for a pistol or two for when I travel.

I bought a kit with rod and some patches, hoppes, etc as a starter. Now I just replenish with bulk bags of wipes, brushes, and what ever else I need (I now use M-Pro 7 for cleaning). Either way works. I wouldn't buy one of the uber kits that clean every gun known to man (unless you have them).

As with any "does everything" it never does it all well. If you have pistols, get pistol supplies. Rifles get rifle supplies. Can't tell you how much easier it is to use a one piece rod the right length rather than screwing with a bunch of pieces. I actually have 4 different length pistol rods that I choose from based on the barrel of my pistol.

I'm still fairly old school using Hoppe's powder solvent, copper solvent, and patches. My only nod to modern tech is in lube where I use a synthetic.

Then again, since what I usually shoot is usually what I grab for classes, I like to be sure that my guns are very clean. Nothing worse than a student complaining about a dirty gun.

I have used Hoppe's my entire life, and love the way it works, and smells. But I just started to use this stuff called Eezox, it was recomended for use on my Seecamp .32. It cleans awsome, and leaves no oily film, has great lubricating properties, and is dry to the touch when finised, also I swear it made the seecamps action and function seem smother (could be in my head), and the gun stays cleaner longer. So I have started useng it on everything, and P.S. it smells great too...

The problem with "Kits" is the rods are usually the cheapest they can supply.

I have a different cleaning rod for every caliber I shoot (actually 2 for each) I put a good brass jag tip on either a Dewey coated rod or a carbon fiber rod, and a bore brush on a cheap aluminum rod. Many of the rods I use are the S&W OEM rods that came with revolvers when they cared if you cleaned them.

Brownell has a great selection of products that allow you to make your own kit.

An old tooth brush is a must have as well as the normal supply of patches, brushes, etc. Midway sells a 10 pak of brushes at a good price.

Hope that helps,

cleaning tips

I agree with all of the folks.

However I will only use nylon brushes. If you use any kind of bore cleaner to remove copper etc. it will eat the bore brush if it is metal. I also will only use jags. Slotted tips are ok for oiling etc. but if you read any info. about bench rest shooters they all agree, use a jag.
As to rods, I use coated rods and have different dia. for differnt calibers.

I love Hoppes as well. I like Cyper's comment[smile]
. It is what my dad used and I still use it today but have found some new products that work well.

I have found Butches Bore Shine works well. I also use Sweets 7.62 for miltary surplus ammo which can be dirty as all get out.

The important thing is take your time. I also use a bore guide. Keeps the cleaning rod centerd.
But in the end it is what you feel works best for you.

Good luck and remember....keep them in the ten ring.

God Bless Our Troops

Kits

I agree with Chris, kits are to general. Get what you need for the gun your
shooting, brushes and rods and add ons are easy to get hold of.

The most improtant thing is TOO USE THEM... too many shooters
don't think its improtant to clean after shooting only to find out
that wear takes its toll and just when you need it....no bang

JimB

Back
Top Bottom