Cleaning case-lube on rifle brass in quantity?

I'm reloading for my AR now and cleaning the case lube from the brass is becoming a pain. I usually spray some degreaser on a rag and rub the lube off each round, one at a time. This works fine for up to 50 rounds, but really drags when I'm loading a couple hundred rounds at of 223 at a time. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Godrick

I use this setup to trim my brass. The lock stud can be attached to an electric drill, so if I'm trimming cases, I just give it a wipe with a shop rag while spinning it with the drill before dropping it in the "ready for loading" bin. Other people will just throw a batch in the tumbler , which works too.

A second round through the tumbler or just don't worry about it? You are using a case lube that won't affect the primer/powder, right?

I use this setup to trim my brass. The lock stud can be attached to an electric drill, so if I'm trimming cases, I just give it a wipe with a shop rag while spinning it with the drill before dropping it in the "ready for loading" bin. Other people will just throw a batch in the tumbler , which works too.

When using that for a trimmer, how do you ensure an exact length or do you just get it close enough?

Loaded?

A second round through the tumbler or just don't worry about it? You are using a case lube that won't affect the primer/powder, right?

Are you telling me that you put loaded rounds in the tumbler?

I worry about it because the rounds are all gooey and pick up lint and dirt if I leave the crud on um.

Are you telling me that you put loaded rounds in the tumbler?

I worry about it because the rounds are all gooey and pick up lint and dirt if I leave the crud on um.

You can take the case lube off as soon as you resize/deprime them and before you prime/load/seat the bullet.

When using that for a trimmer, how do you ensure an exact length or do you just get it close enough?

Case length gauges screw into the trimmer:

highresimage

Case length gauges screw into the trimmer:

*goes off to try that out...*

Oh yeah...it does work...but most of my brass is >.01 shorter than the trim to length of the trimmer. Can that be adjusted or should I not worry about them being smaller? I was under the impression that I really should try to get them sized to the same length.

Last edited:
I resize/decap and then tumble again to remove the lube. Trimming comes next and then off to the RL 450 for loading. The only problem is that some of the corn cob media can become lodged in the flash holes. I solved this by installing a decap only die in station #1 to clear the flash holes. I am not comfortable with tumbling loaded ammo.

Back
Top Bottom