• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaning a CMP M1 Garand

Wildweasel said:
Looks good. I have a nice dark forward handguard minus the metal if you want. the upper Spare I have is birch so it will be light like the one you have.
It is in the raw, but an original one. not a repro. Cost of mailing it to you if you want it. as far as cracks go I have had great luck with brownells acraglass. but since you used the ca I think you are stuck.

Glenn,

Thanks very much! That's a very generous offer. I'll PM shortly.

Jon: Nice looking M1. Someday maybe I'll develop the patience to do that nice of a job.

TonyD said:
Those are both really nice looking sticks. Damn, I may have to get one of those after all.

Tony, CMP supplies are dwindling rapidly. I'd advise anybody who has thought about purchasing one of these to do it sooner rather than later.

masochusetts said:
TonyD said:
Those are both really nice looking sticks. Damn, I may have to get one of those after all.

Tony, CMP supplies are dwindling rapidly. I'd advise anybody who has thought about purchasing one of these to do it sooner rather than later.

That's what I hear. The CMP director at our range has bought many over the last 6 months for folks in the club. I just haven't been one of them yet.

C-pher said:
Both of those are really nice.

And how cool that you did that yourself. I've been thinking about it...but I don't have the room do that much stuff. But that's the draw back of not having a basement.

Thanks everyone. I have an H&R too. I lucked out. I could see the writting on the as far as prices and stock supplies at the CMP. I ordered the H&R 1st in Nov and then a couple of weeks later ordered the SA. The wait time for the H&R was only like 3 weeks and 2 for the SA. I refinished the H&R stock too but I couldn't find the pics of it.
Basement? Naw. I used the kitchen when my wife was at work [twisted]
It was a seriously EASY job to do too. I didn't do any steaming, I left all nicks and dents. You never know how they were created.

Glenn has always used various parts of the house for various hobbies. At least he's good when using oven cleaner on stocks and does that outside. For the most part I don't mind as long as he cleans up behind himself. He's hoping for his den back and moving my computer out. [twisted]

I guess I better get my butt in gear and get my receiver ordered. I've got all the other parts already, just short a receiver. It'll look nice right next to the M14.

Yea, our place is just too small to take on something like this. I have a feeling that I would need someplace to leave parts out. And with a two year old runing around, I don't think that it's a good idea.

Hell, the only time that I can clean my guns are when she's taking a nap. So that's only an hour or two at a time. So I only get to clean one or two at a shot.

But who knows...maybe things will change.

Nickle said:
I guess I better get my butt in gear and get my receiver ordered. I've got all the other parts already, just short a receiver. It'll look nice right next to the M14.
M14? Nice. Here's my Poly. Has a Freds "excellent" stock on it that I did the same way as my M1 stocks. I did take some dings out with my wifes iron. I got some crud on it and didn't see it. She used the iron and the crud went on the clothes! I didn't fess up [twisted] She would have killed me!
polyaa.jpg

Mine's a FedOrd, serial number in the 4XXX range, all USGI parts (except the receiver, of course). Looks like less than 20 rounds went through it before I got it. A lot have been run through it since.

Nickle said:
Mine's a FedOrd, serial number in the 4XXX range, all USGI parts (except the receiver, of course). Looks like less than 20 rounds went through it before I got it. A lot have been run through it since.
You'll have to show some pics.
My Poly is all CHICOM except for an H&R trigger group. The bolt headspaced fine but someday I'll get a USGI just to keep as a spare.

I recommend getting one on eBay and start looking now. Stay away from H & R bolts, get an SA or TRW, no others. They're expensive. A USGI Bolt will have to be fitted to your Polytech. I suggest sending it out.

I guess I'll have to take some pics of the "collection" and post them.

Nickle said:
I recommend getting one on eBay and start looking now. Stay away from H & R bolts, get an SA or TRW, no others. They're expensive. A USGI Bolt will have to be fitted to your Polytech. I suggest sending it out.
Have already spoken with "warbird" about a conversion. He's very reasonable and does good work. Comes highly recommended.
Everytime I get ready to shop for a bolt, I see new rifle I have to have. Like right now, I'm looking at picking up a Hakim. Decisions decisions!

Back
Top Bottom