• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Class 1 Security Guards

I'm hearing a lot of misinformation and contradictory information regarding the status of Class 1 (Blue Card/Armed Guard) Security guards and how the new law affects them.

From my understanding of the text, only Nuclear security guards are exempt, but everything has to stay on-site.

Gun stores: only armored trucks; only LEO's, no security exemption; Class 1 fully exempt (I know someone just bought a Mini-30 from one complete with standard mags and a stock kit).

So, what is the official word? I am so confused about this (not to mention disgusted with how many employees at these shops snapped at me for asking a simple question and not once offering the statute).

Nuclear Regulatory Commission licensed facilities are exempt as are any "contractor or subcontractor of such facility for the purpose of providing security services at such facility" That wording comes from PA 13-220 which significantly amended the verbiage of PA 13-3, which was repealed and replaced by the above, had originally exempted not only NRC licensed facilities but also "or any person, firm, corporation, contractor or subcontractor providing security services at such facility"

PA 13-220 also created an exemption for "
Any person who is sworn and acts as a policeman on behalf of an armored car service pursuant to section 29-20 of the general statutes, in the discharge of such person's official duties; or"

Last edited:
Nuclear Regulatory Commission licensed facilities are exempt as are any "contractor or subcontractor of such facility for the purpose of providing security services at such facility" That wording comes from PA 13-220 which significantly amended the verbiage of PA 13-3, which was repealed and replaced by the above, had originally exempted not only NRC licensed facilities but also "or any person, firm, corporation, contractor or subcontractor providing security services at such facility"

PA 13-220 also created an exemption for "
Any person who is sworn and acts as a policeman on behalf of an armored car service pursuant to section 29-20 of the general statutes, in the discharge of such person's official duties; or"

So basically, if you are SWORN and ACT as a policeman for the armored car service (not sure which role would fill that, as most are either Hoppers or Driver/Guards). Glad to see I'm not wrong, scary that several gun stores seem to not understand that and are selling to anyone with a Class 1 permit.

EMich - which part of the law specifically are you curious about an exemption from?

Do you want to buy an AR?

Or is it that you want to be able to carry with a fully loaded Pre (2013) ban magazine?

If you just want to carry a fully loaded mag, then be aware taht if you declared the mag and owned the firearm it is in before 4/2013, then it is only either a class c misdemeanor or a civil infraction if you carry fully loaded. At least for your first offense. So carry however you see fit. I don't have time for a citation. but its in PA 13-3.

Don

If you just want to carry a fully loaded mag, then be aware taht if you declared the mag and owned the firearm it is in before 4/2013, then it is only either a class c misdemeanor or a civil infraction if you carry fully loaded. At least for your first offense. So carry however you see fit. I don't have time for a citation. but its in PA 13-3.

Don

Possessing a non-declared magazine acquired before the effective date of the Act is an infraction, on the first offense. Subsequent violations, and possession of large capacity magazine acquired after the effective date of the Act is D Felony.

Violating the location limitations associated with declared large capacity magazines is a C Misdemeanor.

(2) The licensed gun dealer shall present such dealer's federal firearms license and seller's permit to the seller or transferor for inspection at the time of purchase or transfer.(3) The Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection shall maintain a file of all certificates of transfer at the commissioner's central office.
(f) Any person who declared possession of a large capacity magazine under this section may possess the large capacity magazine only under the following conditions:
(1)At that person's residence;
(2) At that person's place of business or other property owned by that person, provided such large capacity magazine contains not more than ten bullets;
(3)While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets;
(4)While on a target range which holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range;
(5)While on the premises of a licensed shooting club;
(6)While transporting the large capacity magazine between any of the places set forth in this subsection, or to any licensed gun dealer, provided (A) such large capacity magazine contains not more than ten bullets, and (B) the large capacity magazine is transported in the manner required for an assault weapon under subdivision (2) of subsection (a) of section 53-202f of the general statutes, as amended by this act; or
(7) Pursuant to a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver, provided such large capacity magazine (A) is within a pistol or revolver that was lawfully possessed by the person prior to the effective date of this section, (B) does not extend beyond the bottom of the pistol grip, and (C) contains not more than ten bullets.
(g) Any person who violates the provisions of subsection (f) of this section shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

EMich - which part of the law specifically are you curious about an exemption from?

Do you want to buy an AR?

Or is it that you want to be able to carry with a fully loaded Pre (2013) ban magazine?

Don

These are dealers selling both (non-pre ban) AWs and standard mags apparently.

The most recent one sold a mini-30 with 20 and 30 round mags as well as a stock that adds a pistol grip and sliding stock.

The dealers are telling those with Class 1 cards that they can own anything. My buddy bought a new Ruger Mini-30 a couple weeks ago from the dealer and was sold 20 round mags with it.

The dealers are telling those with Class 1 cards that they can own anything. My buddy bought a new Ruger Mini-30 a couple weeks ago from the dealer and was sold 20 round mags with it.

Any word on if the dealers are cooking this idea up themselves or if it was derived based on LE guidance (from SLFU or elsewhere)?

Those dealers are wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. I am a armed nuclear security guard and, no, we the individual can't buy "assault weapons" or standard capacity mags. The plant isn't going to let individuals store their weapons on site. PA-13 and 220 clearly state for defense of the facility and says nothing about individual use. This means the contracting company providing security can purchase the weapons. It's not gray, it's very black and white. I keep telling this to everyone around here but they don't get it and when they try to go to any big name gun shop they get shut down looking like fools.

edit: Meant to say the plant can buy the weapons, not the contractor.

Last edited:
If the plant and contracting company provides documentation that you are permitted to use individually owned firearms in the course of your duties, wouldn't that be in the "defense of the facility"?

Same argument could be made for training with said firearm since you have to be proficient with the specific firearm for the "defense of the facility"

Those dealers are wrong and will be dealt with accordingly. I am a armed nuclear security guard and, no, we the individual can't buy "assault weapons" or standard capacity mags. The plant isn't going to let individuals store their weapons on site. PA-13 and 220 clearly state for defense of the facility and says nothing about individual use. This means the contracting company providing security can purchase the weapons. It's not gray, it's very black and white. I keep telling this to everyone around here but they don't get it and when they try to go to any big name gun shop they get shut down looking like fools.

Given the 13-220 revision to the nuclear facility security exemption, I don't believe that is a real source of confusion (aside from, potentially, somebody having been familiar with 13-3 and not reading 13-220).

The confusion comes from the armored car exemption. I could see determining who (if anybody) that exemption applies to as being very confusing, given the wording.

If the plant and contracting company provides documentation that you are permitted to use individually owned firearms in the course of your duties, wouldn't that be in the "defense of the facility"?

Same argument could be made for training with said firearm since you have to be proficient with the specific firearm for the "defense of the facility"

Not at all. We are not sworn officers or military per 13-220 and the weapons we are issued are bought by the plant and not the contracting company. We are just allowed to use them on site in "assault" configuration only haha. We've already fought this battle with the plant and CT desp. It's a no-go.

Back
Top Bottom