• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chinese radios

Turbocharged

NES Member
Let's see if we can resurrect this section.
There have been a lot of very inexpensive Chinese radios recently, like Wouxun, Quansheng, Baofeng, and Waccom.
Here's what I've gathered from the reviews:
Wouxun has been at it the longest, and has the widest range of products, but is the highest priced out of the Chinese brands.
Haven't done much research on Quansheng, someone else can chime in in that.
Baofeng is an interesting brand. BY FAR the least expensive, and it seems to be universally agreed that they are the best bang for the buck. They only make HT's, and seem to be making waves (pun somewhat intentional).
Waccom is a crap Wouxun knockoff. Everything I've read says not to bother.

Thoughts/opinions?

I just got a Baofeng UV-5R for about $40 with charger stand. There's not much to say other than it works. It has a cheaper feel than my FT-60R and it doesn't have as many wizzy software features, but it's a dual band with Wx, broadcast FM, some memory and dual-watch. You can (illegally) use it for FRS and GMRS. I agree about the bang for the buck. I love it.

I'm getting into QRP and the importcommunications.com X1M radio looks interesting. An all mode, all HF bands, 4W palm sized radio for $300 has a lot of appeal. Most QRP is done CW but you can still have a lot of SSB fun with 4W. Just look how many 5W FT-817s are sold. Anyone know much about these?

I ordered the baofeng uv-b6 (which is speculated to be the replacement for the uv-5r), for $41.49 shipped, which has nothing but rave reviews. I'm actually going to be stress testing it at the Boston marathon (obviously I'll be bringing a reliable backup), and I'll write a review of its performance. My #1 concern will be battery life, as some of the views mention somewhat disappointing battery life, though others report that it is more than acceptable.
For some reason the batteries are not available by themselves yet. If I like the radio as much as a lot of the reviewers do I'll probably keep an eye out for them.

Last edited:

Yup, that's the most popular one. Do yourself a favor an get the USB programming cable for it as well, from what I've read the keypad programming is tricky and not very newbie-friendly.

I have that radio. Its good to go. Programming with the keypad is bitch. Get the cable and software and youll be all set. Im no Ham and just have it for shtf and monitoring police and fire. At this cheap entry point I think it's a great choice

Last edited:
It's essentially the same radio in a slightly different case. The "more rich enhanced features" is BS. Still, it's the one I bought a few weeks ago and is sitting at my elbow right now.

As others have said, get the cable and the free software.

Baofeng UV-5RA arrived today with programming cable and I downloaded CHIRP.

So far I listened to the weather and reading a bunch online about what channels to monitor.

Feels like a solid little radio.

Timing is everything. I just got two of those yesterday and they seem well built for $50.

Rumor has it that it can use a better antenna, something I've ordered from eBay for about $6.

I've not tried it yet.

I have that radio. Its good to go. Programming with the keypad is bitch. Get the cable and software and youll be all set. Im no Ham and just have it for shtf and monitoring police and fire. At this cheap entry point I think it's a great choice

These let you monitor the higher UHF public safety freqs?

I ordered the baofeng uv-b6 (which is speculated to be the replacement for the uv-5r), for $41.49 shipped, which has nothing but rave reviews. I'm actually going to be stress testing it at the Boston marathon (obviously I'll be bringing a reliable backup), and I'll write a review of its performance. My #1 concern will be battery life, as some of the views mention somewhat disappointing battery life, though others report that it is more than acceptable.
For some reason the batteries are not available by themselves yet. If I like the radio as much as a lot of the reviewers do I'll probably keep an eye out for them.

So what sort of review do you have for it after using it on Monday?

So what sort of review do you have for it after using it on Monday?

I think everything we own will be Chinese made in a couple years, because it performed fantastically. I brought my trusty old Icom along because I fully expected the UV-B6 to shit the bed, but the Icom spent the day in my backpack. Never expected that kind of performance out of a $42 radio.

Due to this thread and wanting to get into HAM I ordered the UV-5R+. It arrived today now I just need to study, play with it (no tx) and get my ticket. Thinking about going to CAARA on the 27th.

Also what antenna have you guys been using to upgrade this radio?

I've had my ham license for ~10 years but haven't been very active since I got into guns a few years ago: too many hobbies, not enough time. I sold off most of my equipment over the years. I picked up one of these last week. I haven't transmitted yet but I've been impressed with the ease of programming (w/ cable and CHIRP on Linux). It's so nice to have a modern alpha-numeric programmable HT with wide-band receive, much better than my old HTX-202. The price can't be beat either.

To anyone looking into a Baofeng, I highly recommend you skip the UV-5R altogether. The UV-B5/UV-B6 have a much better front end, are smaller and fit the hand more naturally, seem to cost less, and a lot easier to program from the keypad.
They also seem to be very durable, as I accidentally chucked it across a parking lot the other day with the only noticeable damage being a small scuff on the bottom. I'm glad it cost so little, if it were a $300 Yeasu I'd probably have freaked out as I watched it skip across the ground. Instead it was just a "whoops, my bad" kind of moment. Pick it up, pleasantly surprised by it still being completely functional, look around to make sure no one saw my lack of coordination, and carry on.

Scroll down to my review of the Beofeng BF-888S (titled cheap radio, surprisingly versatile)

Basically a nice 3+ watt HT. You must program via PC, but once set up, you have 16 different frequencies to operate on. Can do repeater offsets and tone codes.

Set up the kids to use GMRS which they love.

I have a couple files with other programs so I can quickly load up local ham or even the town's public safety channels. Hooking up and programming takes less time than booting windows.

I also have nice ICOM and Yeasu equipment, but taking a $30 radio out is a lot easier than multi-hundred dollar devices.

Telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

Anyone have any Chirp files they want to share for the Boston area? I'm looking at scanning only right now. Some Boston area channels are listed here.

Suffolk County, Massachusetts (MA) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Also, if you're looking for a programming cable, I tried one of the cheap ones on amazon, but the drivers didn't work. This one is more expensive, but it worked out of the box:

Amazon.com: Kenwood 2-Pin USB Radio Programming Cable FTDI Chipset KPG-22, Also works with Baofeng, FDC, Linton, Puxing, Surecom, Weierwei, Wouxun, and Quansheng: MP3 Players & Accessories

To anyone looking into a , I highly recommend you skip the UV-5R altogether. The have a much better front end, are smaller and fit the hand more naturally, seem to cost less, and a lot easier to program from the keypad.
They also seem to be very durable, as I accidentally chucked it across a parking lot the other day with the only noticeable damage being a small scuff on the bottom. I'm glad it cost so little, if it were a $300 Yeasu I'd probably have freaked out as I watched it skip across the ground. Instead it was just a "whoops, my bad" kind of moment. Pick it up, pleasantly surprised by it still being completely functional, look around to make sure no one saw my lack of coordination, and carry on.

I am looking to pick up my first radio and am wondering if the Baofeng UV-B5/UV-B6 is a good bet. Sounds like it from what folks are saying. Have had my license for years and yet to buy a radio. [hmmm]

Who is selling these? Any online vendors?

Acckk. Never mind. Just found them on Amazon....

I am looking to pick up my first radio and am wondering if the Baofeng UV-B5/UV-B6 is a good bet. Sounds like it from what folks are saying. Have had my license for years and yet to buy a radio. [hmmm]

Who is selling these? Any online vendors?

Acckk. Never mind. Just found them on Amazon....

EBay has the best price from what I've found. IIRC it's $41.49 with free shipping.

Turbocharged are you using the Baofeng software or CHIRP to program the UV-B5/UV-B6? I picked up a UV-B5 to accompany by UV-5R. CHIRP claims to support it in the "daily builds". I downloaded a daily build and it shows up as an option in the menu but won't clone the radio.

Turbocharged are you using the Baofeng software or CHIRP to program the UV-B5/UV-B6? I picked up a UV-B5 to accompany by UV-5R. CHIRP claims to support it in the "daily builds". I downloaded a daily build and it shows up as an option in the menu but won't clone the radio.

I had the same problem and I closed the program unplugged the radio and cable. Then I plugged the cable into a different usb port the started the program again. then it saw the radio and would clone it

I've had a Wouxun KG-UV6D for 6 or 7 months, now. Pretty solid little radio. I originally programmed it with CHIRP under Linux, though trying it with OS X is a pain in the arse (Apple just sucks....). I need to get a linux box back up so that I can get some other stuff on there, mostly the Boston area repeaters. I used to spend my commutes on WB1GOF, but since I switched jobs, I spend less of my commute in it's service area, and even with a 1/4 wave antenna, the new fangled tech in my car windows/etc seems to completely block the signal :/ Other than that, no complaints with the radio, and it's certainly not the radio's fault.

I'm using the baofeng software, unfortunately CHIRP only supports the uv-b5 in daily builds, still waiting on uv-b6 support.

Back
Top Bottom