Chinese Mosin today

SKS Ray

NES Member
Picked this up at the Big E show for $75. Anyone know what the receiver markings mean?
As far as I can tell it just makes the C&R list.

2ea7b29e.jpg

44efffdf.jpg

Nice Chinese Type 53. The Chinese characters are: 1st the number 5, 2nd the number 3,(1st & 2nd numbers are the model 53) 3rd the year and 4th type. 1954 was the 2nd year of production.
Nice find. I would have grabbed it.
Hows the bore?

The bore is dark but should clean up because the rifling is nice. Muzzle isn't as sharp as I would have liked to have seen, but i've wanted one for a while and talking the seller down to $75 from $89 worked for me.
I've heard of "blood pitting" and think the bayonet might have some on it as the first inch or so of the tip is pitted along with a few spots here and there on it, but the rest of the bayonet finish is fine.[thinking]

Milsurps 4 Me said:
The bore is dark but should clean up because the rifling is nice. Muzzle isn't as sharp as I would have liked to have seen, but i've wanted one for a while and talking the seller down to $75 from $89 worked for me.
I've heard of "blood pitting" and think the bayonet might have some on it as the first inch or so of the tip is pitted along with a few spots here and there on it, but the rest of the bayonet finish is fine.[thinking]
Good rifling is a plus. Darkness is OK, it will most likely clean up.
Lots of good stories of "blood pitting". I'd be willing to be that some kid stabbed a pumpkin with it and didn't clean it off instead[wink]

Nice score, Milsurps.

Did you happen to notice the one Egyptian FN49 for sale there? Definite candidate for a tomato stake, and the guy wouldn't budge from $650. From what I've seen of the market, they should be in the $400 - $600 range. This one would be near the bottom.

But as he said, "they're getting really rare." And I didn't see another anywhere.

I'm working a deal right now with a guy who's selling his CAI "Frankenfortynine" for $500. Really decent shape, and even though it's not a "real" Egyptian, I'm hopeful it will be a good shooter.

Will post if the deal goes through.

Nice find congrats!!!!

How was the Big E show today was there a lot of C&R stuff? I may go tomorrow if there is a few C&R's there.

The Big E gun show is funny at times because sometimes there is nothing to be seen like maybe one M44 mosin and one sks then the very next show there will be three SVT-40 Tokarev's, three Hakims, three Rasheeds, many FN49's and even NIB russian refurb sks's too. It seems we have to keep on going and sometimes wait a year to see some great finds. The October show seems to be the best.(lots of stuff)

The FN49's vary from what i'm seeing there was some on gunsamerica I did get a purdy Fn49 Vene 7mm a while back on that site. The 7mm is the only barrel i don't see, i have two new 8mm FN49 barrels and i may order a 30-06 barrel too just to have them. I even have an extra 30-06 stock too.

USMA-82 said:
Nice score, Milsurps.

Did you happen to notice the one Egyptian FN49 for sale there? Definite candidate for a tomato stake, and the guy wouldn't budge from $650. From what I've seen of the market, they should be in the $400 - $600 range. This one would be near the bottom.

But as he said, "they're getting really rare." And I didn't see another anywhere.

I'm working a deal right now with a guy who's selling his CAI "Frankenfortynine" for $500. Really decent shape, and even though it's not a "real" Egyptian, I'm hopeful it will be a good shooter.

Will post if the deal goes through.

If your looking for an FN49 thats reasonably priced stay looking at gun shops you may just run across one that was traded in.

BigBill said:
Nice find congrats!!!!

How was the Big E show today was there a lot of C&R stuff? I may go tomorrow if there is a few C&R's there.

The Big E gun show is funny at times because sometimes there is nothing to be seen like maybe one M44 mosin and one sks then the very next show there will be three SVT-40 Tokarev's, three Hakims, three Rasheeds, many FN49's and even NIB russian refurb sks's too. It seems we have to keep on going and sometimes wait a year to see some great finds. The October show seems to be the best.(lots of stuff)

The FN49's vary from what i'm seeing there was some on gunsamerica I did get a purdy Fn49 Vene 7mm a while back on that site. The 7mm is the only barrel i don't see, i have two new 8mm FN49 barrels and i may order a 30-06 barrel too just to have them. I even have an extra 30-06 stock too.

Milsurp might be able to answer this better than I, but walking around, I saw a lot. And if you go, look for the Powder Keg and stop by and say hi. We have a TON of milsurp C&R.

Like I said in an earlier post. Crates full of Russian M44s and Yugo SKS' were there. I picked up the same Enfield Jungle Carbine from Terry Goode's rifle rack and pondered the $350 I belive it was but figured "Eh, sooner or later one of these will fall into my hands at the right price"
Lots of M1 Garands, and all over priced from what I saw. A member at the same range I go to that I saw today told me he had been ordering online lately instead of paying gun show prices, which are usually higher than what they ask in their own shops I might add.
I saw one FN49 semi auto rifle. Didn't bother asking about manufacturer or price since the Rasheed I saw next to it was priced at $1000 and the G43s had no tags. There were a handfull of FAL rifles, some CETMEs, and the usual amount of oddball milsurps like Enfields, Mauser types, Mosins, etc. but the real bargain came from a guy in another thread that got an 03A3 for under $300.[shocked]
Best deal I saw was a small rack with some 22 cal rifles from various manufacturers, Winchester, Remington, etc. for $30 to $40 near the door way to the ammo tent, men's room end. I need another 22 like a hole in the head, but for someone looking for one, there were a few little beauties there, and well underpriced!

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Best deal I saw was a small rack with some 22 cal rifles from various manufacturers, Winchester, Remington, etc. for $30 to $40 near the door way to the ammo tent, men's room end. I need another 22 like a hole in the head, but for someone looking for one, there were a few little beauties there, and well underpriced!

I didn't see that... I might have to see if I can find that table today.

We went to the BIG E today and i didn't stay too long i can't walk for too long but i tried to look at 1/2 the gun racks and gun tables. We got there at 11:30. Overall there were a lot of guns for a spring show. I think there was something for everyone there, lots of different stuff, quite a mix. I hope to go to more shows in the area too. Next time i'll go at 8:30am and camp out and spend the day just browsing the rows.

Right now i'm not sure what i want to get. I'm kind of in a C&R lull again.

Last edited:
BigBill said:
Right now i'm not sure what i want to get. I'm kind of in a C&R lull again.

Ya know what I do in that situation... buy ammo at shows.[smile] That and cruise the aisles for accessories.
Its when i'm looking for one particular rifle that I usually find my hidden gem of another type, or at least a decent condition Chinese Mosin for cheap $$. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom