Chilean Mauser Model of 1895 Infantry Rifle

I made a three gun purchase earlier this week, and the seller called me back to tell me that he forgot to show me another, a Chilean Mauser Model of 1895 Infantry Rifle in 7mm. Very glad I went back to check it out.

With the exception what appears to be an arsenal rebuild with an upgraded rear sight (for the spitzer bullet) and a renumbered replacement bolt, it must look very much the same as it did when it was built.

The stock still has that fuzzy feeling of a fresh cut.

Enjoy, and thanks for looking.

chileanM95_001.jpg

chileanM95_002.jpg

chileanM95_003.jpg

chileanM95_004.jpg

chileanM95_005.jpg

chileanM95_006.jpg

chileanM95_007.jpg

chileanM95_008.jpg

chileanM95_009.jpg

chileanM95_010.jpg

chileanM95_011.jpg

chileanM95_012.jpg

chileanM95_013.jpg

chileanM95_014.jpg

chileanM95_015.jpg

chileanM95_016.jpg

chileanM95_018.jpg

chileanM95_021.jpg

chileanM95_022.jpg

chileanM95_023.jpg

chileanM95_024.jpg

chileanM95_025.jpg

1chileanM95_002.jpg

1chileanM95_001.jpg

1chileanM95_003.jpg

chileanM95_026.jpg

chileanM95_001.jpg

chileanM95_002.jpg

I have it's twin. Same condition

My father acquired it in a trade in the '60s. He had always intended to sporterize it to make a hunting rifle. It was spared the saw when he received a CMP 1903 Springfield (I cried a little when I typed that). The Mauser has been in my possession since the mid '90s. The Springfield has been in my possession for the last 3 or 4 years now. My father did a very nice job sporterizing the Springfield, as much as it is sad to say, he definitely didn't do a bubba hack. Most people wouldn't recognize it unless you really knew what you were looking at.

Wonderful gun to shoot and quite beautiful for its age.

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the find.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did she set you back?

Nice. My dad has an Argentine mauser that looks a lot like that one. I don't recall the wood wrapping around the rear site like that, that looks pretty sharp.

I grew up believing that this was a german rifle that my great uncle brought back from the war (my brother always told me this). A couple of years ago my dad told me that he and a buddy each bought one of these from Monkey Wards for like $19 in the early 60's. They split a case of ammo and never shot it all.

My dad's mauser sat in his gun cabinet in the cellar for my whole life. It was a little rusty, but last year dad cleaned it up and we shot it. I grab him a couple of boxes of Argentine Mauser ammo from Collectable Arms every time I stop in.

Thanks for sharing. Congrats on the find.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did she set you back?

You probably don't want to know! It was a bargain at $200.

With the arsenal matched bolt, it's likely a $7-800 gun on Gunbroker. If it had the original matching bolt instead, add $2-300 more.

You probably don't want to know! It was a bargain at $200.

With the arsenal matched bolt, it's likely a $7-800 gun on Gunbroker. If it had the original matching bolt instead, add $2-300 more.

No issues. I have no plans on ever selling mine. Being a rifle that my father gave me, so I don't think I could ever part with it.

However, your response has raised more questions for me. How do you tell if it has a renumbered bolt? I'm not home at the moment so I can't look, but I do know that all the numbers on mine match. It never occurred to me that parts may have been renumbered.

Also, I am fairly certain that mine has the same rear sight that you have shown on yours. When did they make these changes?

Thanks again.

The font of the letter G on the bolt handle is different from that on the receiver.

The spitzer bullet (boat tail) is a post-1900 invention, and many makes of rifles needed to alter their sights for the flatter trajectory. i.e. The Russians had all of their rifles built prior to 1908 refitted with a new sight.

I don't know when the Chileans upgraded their sights, but the original sight had only one detente button on the slider, vs the two that are on the upgraded sight.

Mine is a replacement bolt, yours is original. If you look on your safety sleeve and lever, you should also see the crossed pickaxe symbol.

Back
Top Bottom