Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies of Cancer

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
"Chief Justice Rehnquist Dies of Cancer

By GINA HOLLAND
WASHINGTON (AP) - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, who oversaw the high court's conservative shift and presided over the impeachment trial of President Clinton, died Saturday evening. He was 80 years old and had spent 33 years on the Supreme Court."

This will provide for an interesting confrontation between the different sides. I don't know if any President has had to deal with two nominations in the same year.

edited to add:

"The last time there were simultaneous vacancies at the court was 1971, when Justices Hugo Black and John Marshall Harlan retired in September, about a week apart. Rehnquist, then a Justice Department lawyer, urged the Nixon administration to move fast in replacing them and wound up being appointed to Harlan's seat himself."

Interesting coincidence.

Just to liven things up a bit more, there has been a rumor on some of the law blogs to the effect that Ruth Bader Ginsberg might also be considering retirement due to health reasons. The sources seem to be fairly good, but it's still nothing more than a rumor. Now if GWB would only have the stones to nominate Thomas as CJ, things would really get interesting.

Ken

I think it would be hell if he tapped Thomas, but some thinnk he may tap Roberts as it. Either way, so far 2 judge appointee's, and if the ginsberg one comes to bare, 3.

I've been watching this more closely than whats going on in NOLA since its a break. One of the people rumored to be tapped as the replacement is Gonzales (sp). Not sure though.

And, on an off topic note. Rehnquist's two favorite rock albums 'Ruby Tuesday' by the Stones and 'Herry VIII' by the Turtles.

But we should be thankful that Bush is appointing the new members of SCOTUS, could you just imagine who would be tapped if Kerry won?

Moderator said:
Excuse my ignorance, but is the death of him going to have a positive or negative effect on gun owners?

Could be! [lol]

My crystal ball is a bit dusty . . . please wait . . .

[twisted]

Back
Top Bottom