Check your ammo

SKS Ray

NES Member
Just a reminder to always check your ammo before you load magazines.

I found a few 5.45 stragglers in a box of GT 7.62x39 today. This was a box I had taken out of a sealed case so the mix up happened during packaging in Russia.

It's not the first time I've seen something like this. Years ago at an NES shoot at Mansfield I was loading an AK74 magazine and pulled a 7.62x39 round out of a box of Tulammo. Because I was talking to someone and not paying attention, I ended up loading it in a mag and got it stuck in the chamber of an AK74 when it tried to cycle.

Since then I always inspect ammo.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416804988031.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416804988031.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 317
We've seen this with Barnaul, too. I think Ezekiel 25:17 got his FS2000 jammed up with some 5.45 that ended up in a box of .223. That's probably the worst case scenario, because the cartridge sizes are less dissimilar and get jammed up worse.

-Mike

Wow, I never check a new box before loading. Guess I'll add that to the safety checklist from here out.

Wow! never even knew this has been an issue in the past. Thanks for the heads up considering I've got 3 cases of GT x39 at home. I'd hope that I would catch the minor cartridge size difference when loading a mag but certainly not a guarantee.

Just a reminder to always check your ammo before you load magazines.

I found a few 5.45 stragglers in a box of GT 7.62x39 today. This was a box I had taken out of a sealed case so the mix up happened during packaging in Russia.

It's not the first time I've seen something like this. Years ago at an NES shoot at Mansfield I was loading an AK74 magazine and pulled a 7.62x39 round out of a box of Tulammo. Because I was talking to someone and not paying attention, I ended up loading it in a mag and got it stuck in the chamber of an AK74 when it tried to cycle.

Since then I always inspect ammo.
Similar mixed box happened two weeks ago at Harvard to me only mined chambered and fired very much like a squib load . It wouldn't extract, extractor pulled past the rim and tried to chamber an other round . the bolt was now partially open . I rammed a rod down the barrel forcing the spent cartridge out.
The case had burst..No problem with the AK .47..I checked the rest of my ammo and found one more 5.45x39..

I bought a case of 9mm ammo that was apparently dropped on the corner of the box during transport. One of the individual boxes of ammo had about 5 or 6 rounds where the bullet was pushed down in the case to varying degrees. The first one I loaded into a mag was very minimal and I noticed it purely by chance. The worst had hardly any of the bullet protruding above the case. the box of ammo had a little damage to the corner of the box, but nothing that looked too severe. I used to have a picture, but can't find it...

Back
Top Bottom