Charlestown NH: Civilian dies, trooper shot, public full of questions

This Ridley guy is a tool and a harm to our cause.

He rants on cops for "ruining lives" by arresting people for victimless crimes. Does he not understand how laws are made? That police departments have no hand (other than providing some testimony) in making those laws?

Does he not understand that as long as a law is not ruled unconstitutional (as wrong and odious as the law itself may be) police are duty bound to enforce them without violating someone's constitutional and natural rights?

Does he not understand that ever since the Bill of Rights was ratified there IS a legal mechanism for police to enter private property in the performance of their duties?

Guy has no credibility as far as I am concerned.

Well I'm happy I'm not the only one who sees it that way. Making some youtube videos and whining about the people enforcing the laws is a great way to change a law he/they may see as unjust. If these people really want to change things they should run for the state house or something (of course they would loose and maybe realize how stupid they are) and use the system they say is being ruined.

I don't blame the guy at best buy for expensive prices, why do they blame the boys in blue?

And if you guys are on here (or anyone who supports them) is on here, you should speak up

I just want to be able to walk anywhere in this state and not be detained by law enforcement for lawfully open carrying a pistol.

Last edited:
well don't walk in my yard, that's trespassing, so there goes your anywhere.

Do you have a concealed permit?

Do you have to push people's buttons just to be that guy?

Is big bad NH really that scary to you?

You lost me there.

Doobie wants to be left alone for conduct that is legal. Ridley rants because cops shoot and kill a guy who shoots at them while they are performing a lawful arrest.

Two completely different things.

PS, people who push buttons to defend what is right and what is legal are my kind of people.

For the record I am not a " Free Stater" but I am a frequent visitor to their NH website. I am not in agreement with most of their positions, but I agree with some.

The Free Staters are doing more for your 2A rights in NH than the NRA in my opinion.
They are not afraid to stand up to events they feel are unjust and have put themselves in harms way legally to peacefully protest what they feel is wrong.

The only way to get motion out of a dead fish is to make waves.

I don't have a problem with them.

well my bad, i mistook you.

I;m all for rights and using them, but not flaunting them just because i can. As far as out of state people open carrying in NH, i really dont know how i feel about that. Assuming you are from ma, i can guess you're on the level, but i feel if you want to have a gun in my state, you may as well get the permit. Its sort of a states rights thing (im rambling now)...

flaunting a gun in such an uncertain time is going to bad for everyone, even if you can

flaunting a gun in such an uncertain time is going to bad for everyone, even if you can

[rolleyes][rolleyes]

Here in NH it is legal. The AG has advised the Chiefs of police of that fact. LEO in NH should not be harassing anyone going about their business in a legal manner.

Please explain to me what makes the current time period to be "uncertain" vs. any other time period. I can't wait to hear this. OC makes the anits nervous, it has NOTHING to do with our current state of affairs.

If these people really want to change things they should run for the state house or something (of course they would loose and maybe realize how stupid they are) and use the system they say is being ruined.

I believe some of "these people" (FreeStaters) gained several elected positions this past election. Perhaps you should look at some facts before jumping to conclusions.

Just in cast you're wondering I'm am not a member of the Free State Project, but I do believe they do far more good than harm. I think we all know what will happen if no one questions authority.

either way, anyone who hates police for doing their job is out of touch

I don't know how many of Ridley's videos you have watched, but I have not seen any evidence that Ridley or any of the Free State members hate police. Best I can tell they just want the people who enforce the law to follow it.

Last edited:
I;m all for rights and using them, but not flaunting them just because i can.
So maybe you can explain to me the inconsistency between this statement and the fact that there is no way to use your right to carry a pistol openly without "flaunting it" as you say.

As far as out of state people open carrying in NH, i really dont know how i feel about that.
What difference does it make where someone is from? Are you guys from NH better?

Assuming you are from ma, i can guess you're on the level,
What if I am not? What if I told you that I live in a state where I need no licenses or permits to buy, own, or open carry firearms?

but i feel if you want to have a gun in my state, you may as well get the permit.
How would you feel then if I told you that according to NH law, there is no permit required to purchase, own, possess, or openly carry any firearm, just to carry one concealed? Or do you not know the laws of your own state?

Its sort of a states rights thing (im rambling now)...
No, it isn't.

How so? What's uncertain about today?

If Ridley is their mouthpiece, they need to ditch him ASAP. Guy's a couple of tools short of a full box.

Having met and talked with Dave Ridley several times I can say he's a very reasonable guy and represents freedom loving people very well in person. Watch a few more of his videos if you think he's just whining about laws being enforced. He's actively working to get laws changed, not just through civil disobedience but through legislative action as well.

Sure some of his videos cover topics I don't agree with, and a lot of his ads are not conventional, but he's actively working to change things he disagrees with, and that's helping all freedom lovers across New Hampshire.

-Nat

Having met and talked with Dave Ridley several times I can say he's a very reasonable guy and represents freedom loving people very well in person. Watch a few more of his videos if you think he's just whining about laws being enforced. He's actively working to get laws changed, not just through civil disobedience but through legislative action as well.

Sure some of his videos cover topics I don't agree with, and a lot of his ads are not conventional, but he's actively working to change things he disagrees with, and that's helping all freedom lovers across New Hampshire.

-Nat
I stand by my statements. In the video we are talking about he is actively calling POLICE to stop enforcing laws he disagrees with. Is that what comes out of a reasonable person's mouth? I don't think so.

He also questions the legal ability of police to enter private property in the discharge of their duties and just about tells them to stop doing it. This legal issue got settled LONG ago and he is still questioning it. Reasonable people think it through and not rant about matters that have been settled since almost the time the Constitution got ratified.

If he did not mean to state those two things, he should choose his words more carefully or read from a script.

Sorry, ANY PUBLIC place, but if your property isn't marked "NO TRESPASSING" I can walk in your yard until you tell me to leave.

No.

No

No.

well my bad, i mistook you.

I;m all for rights and using them, but not flaunting them just because i can. As far as out of state people open carrying in NH, i really dont know how i feel about that. Assuming you are from ma, i can guess you're on the level, but i feel if you want to have a gun in my state, you may as well get the permit. Its sort of a states rights thing (im rambling now)...

First of all, there are no PERMITS in NH, it's a LICENSE. Second, no one needs a license (unless you want to conceal or have loaded in a vehicle), if you don't like it move to a state where you DO need a license.

If you want to call it a permit, perhaps you should ask Derek if you can be PERMITTED to exercise your freedom of speech here.

either way, anyone who hates police for doing their job is out of touch

I don't hate the police when/if they actually do their job, but I surely never see them doing their job of being anything but a revenue source, and since I've gotten a police scanner it seems like they aren't even good at that.

I absolutely hate them when the detain people for NO REASON, and then SAY that. And I personally think they should be FINED $500 anytime the unreasonably/unlawfully detain someone.

Last edited:
I stand by my statements. In the video we are talking about he is actively calling POLICE to stop enforcing laws he disagrees with. Is that what comes out of a reasonable person's mouth? I don't think so.

He also questions the legal ability of police to enter private property in the discharge of their duties and just about tells them to stop doing it. This legal issue got settled LONG ago and he is still questioning it. Reasonable people think it through and not rant about matters that have been settled since almost the time the Constitution got ratified.

If he did not mean to state those two things, he should choose his words more carefully or read from a script.

I agree he asked police to stop enforcing laws he disagrees with, or more specifically to think about it.

I never heard him question the legal ability of police to enter private property with a warrant. He did question the morality of doing so in a case where no one was being hurt (before the police arrived). He made it clear he did not know the situation and was not speaking from a position of authority on the issue, merely asking questions.

As far as his ranting, I really have to take issue with that. He never even raises his voice during the video, and speaks very plainly throughout.
Rant: To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; To utter or express with violence or extravagance.

If you want to state that this is a video Dave would have been better off not publishing, I will agree with you. He's attempting to be an internet news outlet and seems to sometimes publish videos too quickly in order to have some Report for that day. I still stand by my opinion that he is doing good work to bring more liberty to the residents of NH.

For example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1odzyyo876c is a good update on the spending cap initiative that Dave has been following for almost a year. He's in no way impartial (and has made that clear many times) since he was a signature gatherer for the petition, but he's done a good job covering it in detail that can't be found elsewhere.

-Nat

One of the things the Free Staters and IIRC Libertatians have a problem with os so called " victimless crimes"

I think you'll find that Dave is just expressing his opinion that victimless crimes should not be crimes and the Police should not be enforcing the current laws on them.

It's like in MA, there is an adultery law that would get 99% of the population locked up if it were enforced. It is a victimless crime and over time has been relegated to obscurity.

I think you'll find that Dave is just expressing his opinion that victimless crimes should not be crimes
And that's a reasonable position that I do not disagree with.
and the Police should not be enforcing the current laws on them.
That's where he sounds like an idiot because if police are told to enforce a valid (as much as he may disagree with that) law they can't just say "f*** it" and ignore it.

And that's a reasonable position that I do not disagree with.

That's where he sounds like an idiot because if police are told to enforce a valid (as much as he may disagree with that) law they can't just say "f*** it" and ignore it.

police are humans, just like the rest of us. they too have free will.

the choice to initiate force against a person who has not initiated force themselves in any way, or committed any crime that causes any measurable damage, is morally reprehensible.

"It's the law" or "we were just following orders" is not an excuse. There are plenty of nazi's that tried that angle.

police are humans, just like the rest of us. they too have free will.

the choice to initiate force against a person who has not initiated force themselves in any way, or committed any crime that causes any measurable damage, is morally reprehensible.

"It's the law" or "we were just following orders" is not an excuse. There are plenty of nazi's that tried that angle.
There is free will, and then there is an obligation to your lawful duty.

Comparing what Ridley is whining about to what Nazis did eliminates your credibility.

There is free will, and then there is an obligation to your lawful duty.

Comparing what Ridley is whining about to what Nazis did eliminates your credibility.

I didn't look to see what ridley is complaining about.

nor am I much concerned over what you deem to be my credibility.

but, for the sake of discussion, how is anyone following any command that is "wrong", whether it be law, order, instruction or demand, any different than what nazi's did?

it's all the same sickness... just differences in the progression of the disease.

All I'm attempting to convey to you here is that "because it's the law" is not sufficient reason to enforce said law, or follow said law, if said law is ethically, or morally wrong.

The Police, as members of the Executive Branch of Government actually do have the option to selectively enforce laws as passed by the Legislative Branch of government. This is part of checks and balance system.

Example: In MA, every operator of a motor vehicle must have: Tools sufficient to dissable the motor vehicle AND scenery sufficient to conceal the motor vehicle. In the event that a motor vehicle approaches a HORSE and the horse refuses to pass the motor vehicle the owner MUST cover the motor vehicle with scenery and allow the horse to pass. If the horse still will not pass the motor vehicle, the operator must disassemble the vehicle, move it pass the horse and reassemble the vehicle. - I know of a single instance of this EVER being enforced in MA. A lawyer was stopped by state police on his way to meet his client. The State Police detained him for several hours while inspecting his car and "attempting" to determine if his small emergency tool kit met the law's requirements. In the end, they released him with a warning.

While waiting for his lawyer, a drug dealer in police custody confessed to multiple murders and drug traffiking.

Back
Top Bottom