• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Charles Daly Bullpup Semi Automatic Shotgun

Parker Schreiber

NES Member

Does anyone have any experience or warnings about this weapon? If I could actually get one into Massachusetts, it seems like an intriguing home defense option.

Interesting. I wonder if it actually cycles reliably. It seems incomplete to me. If you're going to build something like this, I'd want to see it in 12ga. and using a Saiga magazine. Also, it's great that the charging handle is reversible, but a bull-pup really needs to eject down or have the option to eject left.

I always like the idea of bull-pups, but never like aiming or shooting one.

it's 20Ga, just get a pistol or is this for your child?

I knew I'd get this reaction from at least one person. If it makes you feel you're a better person than I for using a 12 gauge, so be it. I'm sure there's a very long thread somewhere about 12 gauge vs 20 gauge for home defense, but I'm going with 20 gauge for two reasons.
  1. 5 years ago, I spent over a year recovering from a hyperextended right shoulder. It wasn't fun.
  2. The lighter the shotgun, the heavier the recoil. This thing only weighs 8.2 lbs. even in 12 gauge.

I knew I'd get this reaction from at least one person. If it makes you feel you're a better person than I for using a 12 gauge, so be it. I'm sure there's a very long thread somewhere about 12 gauge vs 20 gauge for home defense, but I'm going with 20 gauge for two reasons.
  1. 5 years ago, I spent over a year recovering from a hyperextended right shoulder. It wasn't fun.
  2. The lighter the shotgun, the heavier the recoil. This thing only weighs 8.2 lbs. even in 12 gauge.

Here's a good piece from Shooting Illustrated about 20ga at close range when questioned if it's "good enough" for self defense:

"You hear that question all the time, but I find it really silly based on the 20-gauge shotgun's close-range energy," says Ralph Mroz, a firearms expert and the presenter of the "Armed Response" series of training DVDs. "Handguns certainly have their place in self-defense because they are so maneuverable. But if you need to stop an intruder right here, right now, the best choice is a rifle or a shotgun—any shotgun will do, and this absolutely includes the 20 gauge. It provides about twice the power of a .44 Mag. Nobody is getting up from that."

By the Numbers
Here's proof. Using the formula Energy = .5 x Mass x Velocity2, we find a typical 20-gauge self-defense load of 11⁄8 ounces of buckshot traveling at 1,100 fps produces roughly 1,320 ft.-lbs. of energy. That's only about 200 ft.-lbs. less than a comparable 12-gauge load and, as Mroz notes, it's at least twice as much energy as produced by most handgun cartridges.

i'm not aware of any 12 ga bullpup shotgun funtioning reliably and there's the reason not too many are manufactured.

Here's a good piece from Shooting Illustrated about 20ga at close range when questioned if it's "good enough" for self defense:

"You hear that question all the time, but I find it really silly based on the 20-gauge shotgun's close-range energy," says Ralph Mroz, a firearms expert and the presenter of the "Armed Response" series of training DVDs. "Handguns certainly have their place in self-defense because they are so maneuverable. But if you need to stop an intruder right here, right now, the best choice is a rifle or a shotgun—any shotgun will do, and this absolutely includes the 20 gauge. It provides about twice the power of a .44 Mag. Nobody is getting up from that."

By the Numbers
Here's proof. Using the formula Energy = .5 x Mass x Velocity2, we find a typical 20-gauge self-defense load of 11⁄8 ounces of buckshot traveling at 1,100 fps produces roughly 1,320 ft.-lbs. of energy. That's only about 200 ft.-lbs. less than a comparable 12-gauge load and, as Mroz notes, it's at least twice as much energy as produced by most handgun cartridges.

Outstanding post.

The Beretta a400 have the kickoff stock it takes 40% of the kick of the shot. I got the Beretta Pro comp A400.

The A400 looks really nice, but it’s also just about 4 feet in overall length. That’s not what I’m looking for at this time.

does it resemble a shovel by any chance? lol

tenor.gif

Here is my home defense shotgun:

75780-catalog.jpg

Mossberg International SA-20 Railed - Pistol Grip

I load it with: REMINGTON EXPRESS 20 GAUGE AMMO 2-3/4" #3 BUCKSHOT 20 PELLETS

That gives just over 1 oz of buckshot at 1200 fps and 1497 ft. lbs of energy, which is better than Buffalo Bore’s Dangerous Game Heavy 44 Magnum with a 265 gr. mono-metal bullet at 1425 fps and 1193 ft. lbs of energy. More than enough for close range home defense. Plus it’s easy for both me and my wife to shoot accurately. I see no reason to beat myself to death with a 12 gauge when a 20 will do just fine.

Back
Top Bottom