Charge differences

headednorth

NES Member
Came across a video on charging cases. Towards the end he goes into the differences down range between a tenth of a grain, two tenths, etc, difference from one charge to the next. I know when I first started, I would be tearing the hair out of my head because one charge to the next was off one tenth here, two tenths there. Kind of wish I had seen this video back then. The discussion on charge differences starts around 27:20 ish

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGaPv_3oWQ

one thing i learned early in the game, you ain't gonna get exact measures every time with a powder dump. you can get real close with ball powder though. i'm also still using my rcbs dump, trickler and 505 scale i bought 45 years ago also. that powder dump is my favorite. i have a couple of redding bench rest powder measures but i think my rcbs is more accurate. no new info here for me but a pretty good video just the same. i didn't know that little trick of setting the powder amount in the drum to set weight, pretty slick, i'll try it next time out.

While I get what he is getting at, he isn't looking at the whole picture. He is focusing on just the published numbers and determining error off of those and saying ".1 doesn't matter".

What he doesn't take in account for is firearms prefer certain loads. Once you start talking harmonics and nodes, then .1 does make a difference. But anyone who is going to that depth of data isn't using your average powder drop either.

What I got out of it was if my groups are opened up its because of me, not because one round was 2 tenths lighter than the round before. Why stress out over small discrepancies that even at 300-400 yards result in very minor deviations, especially if Im shooting a rifle at 100 yards or a pistol at 50 feet.

It was a source of aggravation for me when I was starting, trying to get every round EXACTLY the same. I know thats the goal, but for me and my shooting, close is good enough.

While I get what he is getting at, he isn't looking at the whole picture. He is focusing on just the published numbers and determining error off of those and saying ".1 doesn't matter".

What he doesn't take in account for is firearms prefer certain loads. Once you start talking harmonics and nodes, then .1 does make a difference. But anyone who is going to that depth of data isn't using your average powder drop either.
Finding nodes helps , even more so when you find a charge weight range that has a wide node.

Came across a video on charging cases. Towards the end he goes into the differences down range between a tenth of a grain, two tenths, etc, difference from one charge to the next. I know when I first started, I would be tearing the hair out of my head because one charge to the next was off one tenth here, two tenths there. Kind of wish I had seen this video back then. The discussion on charge differences starts around 27:20 ish

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzGaPv_3oWQ

Very good video, thanks for posting. I will try using his method to get the initial charge close when first setting the measure. It never occurred to me to put the desired amount into the measure and then adjust the screw to get it as close as possible...

What I got out of it was if my groups are opened up its because of me, not because one round was 2 tenths lighter than the round before. Why stress out over small discrepancies that even at 300-400 yards result in very minor deviations, especially if Im shooting a rifle at 100 yards or a pistol at 50 feet.

It was a source of aggravation for me when I was starting, trying to get every round EXACTLY the same. I know thats the goal, but for me and my shooting, close is good enough.
I have been using the measures on my Dillon for shooting at 200 yards and the thrown charges have only varied + or - .01-.02 of a grain with Varget and also with H-4895. For .223 using H-335 it has always been a max of .01 grain either way.

I have been using the measures on my Dillon for shooting at 200 yards and the thrown charges have only varied + or - .01-.02 of a grain with Varget and also with H-4895. For .223 using H-335 it has always been a max of .01 grain either way.
Those interested in perfect powder drops are upset at anything over 1/4 moa
Also those shooting 1000 yards and a .2 powder charge variation can cause enough vertical issues
Lets say tour powder drop had a +/- .2 grains
Lets say one round drops -.2. And another +.2. Well thats a .4 gn difference.

theres reloaders that need the weight to be X while rheres loaders that just run on volume.
My buddy trickles ever load up to 41.5 grains for his M1a.
Yet hes never Chrony tested his loads or has shot much better than 4 moa.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom