Changing out an AR fixed stock.....preban

MRJ

How difficult is it to change out a fixed stock to a folder or collapsible? Is this a user fix or armorer?

It is easy, however there are two gotchas which will be much easier with the proper (cheap) tools:

1) Get a screwdriver which is really wide and thick to unscrew the bolt holding the stock to the buffer tube. They use a locking compound on the screw and it has a shallow slot, and is very easy to strip, and if you strip it you will need some help to get it out (ask me how I know...)

2) you might want to get one of the special wrenches to unscrew the buffer tube, it is made of hard brittle aluminum and easy to crush with a pliers (ask me how I know...)

3) Watch out for the takedown spring detent spring and the buffer retainer spring flying across the room. (Ask me how I know....)

That's good advice by hminsky. The little takedown spring does like to jump accross the room (you've been warned twice!).

As far as AR mods go replacing the stock is probably on of the easier changes. Take out the buffer spring first though from inside the lower by depressing the retaining pin.

Instructions: http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

Invest in armorer screw drive set so you use the right size drivers for this and other project. I'm an engineer and to me there's nothing worse than marred screw heads.

FYI: In Mass., you must have a pre-ban lower to have a collapsable stock. This has been discussed at length in many posts on this site.

Get a can of PB Blaster (it's a penetrating agent like Liquid Wrench, but MUCH better) and soak those threads. I tired all kinds of stuff (including Liquid Wrench and a bunch of others, as well as adding heat w/ a blow torch) none of which did a darned thing. GTOShooter told me about PB Blaster. Picked some up and let it soak in for several minutes and presto. You can get some at Auto Zone and the like.

Get a can of PB Blaster (it's a penetrating agent like Liquid Wrench, but MUCH better) and soak those threads. I tired all kinds of stuff (including Liquid Wrench and a bunch of others, as well as adding heat w/ a blow torch) none of which did a darned thing. GTOShooter told me about PB Blaster. Picked some up and let it soak in for several minutes and presto. You can get some at Auto Zone and the like.

+1 on PB blaster. Amazing, stinks a bit but it works. (have not doen this mod, I use it on my Jeep).

Also if you plan to change the grip, you need to get a hex wrench which is long enough to get in there, at least six or seven inches.

Back
Top Bottom