chambering 1st round in AR for accuracy

What is the best way to chamber the first round in an AR to get the best accuracy. I found today, when I hit the bolt release to chamber, my First shot was always wild. Here is a target. The one out of the group is always the first one,

2nd question what causes me to shoot these split pairs, I seem to do it alot

The Rounds were Prvi Partisan 75gr match

ar target.jpg

Thanks for the help.

For an experiment, try single loading all the rounds the same way and shoot a group; don't shoot out of the magazine.

For single loading, I push the round right into the chamber and drop the bolt release.

I tried the single loading but with dropping the bolt release to strip off the round. The group didn't have the flyer. I will try your way next time

Any idea on the split pairs?

For single loading, I push the round right into the chamber and drop the bolt release.
+1

And use something better than Prvi Partizan. Federal Gold Medal 223 with a Sierra Match King 69 would be a better control load.

+1

And use something better than Prvi Partizan. Federal Gold Medal 223 with a Sierra Match King 69 would be a better control load.

I'll try some Federal Gold match

I was getting the same issue with my handloads:
24g Re15 69gr SMK 2.250
24g Varget 69gr SMK 2.250

I was getting the same issue with my handloads:
24g Re15 69gr SMK 2.250
24g Varget 69gr SMK 2.250
How are you shooting? From a bench over bags? Prone with a sling? Prone with a bipod? Is the barrel floated? I assume this is a match grade barrel properly stress relieved?

How are you shooting? From a bench over bags? Prone with a sling? Prone with a bipod? Is the barrel floated? I assume this is a match grade barrel properly stress relieved?

shooting over sandbags on a bench. using a woa barrel with a freefloat carbon fiber handguard.

IME ARs are difficult to shoot from bags. I would try shooting from a bipod while prone, or let a really good prone shooter shoot it with a sling.

You would be surprised at what an accomplished prone shooter can do.

Last edited by a moderator:
IME ARs are difficult to shoot from bags. I would try shooting from a bipod while prone, or let a really good prone shooter shoot it with a sling.

You would be surprised at what an accoplinshed prone shooter can do.

I still fairly new to shooting groups. Don't really have the patience for it. But if you throw out the 1st round of each group, they measure 1/2'' at 100. So I'm happy with that. With some skill and custom loads. I should be able to reduce it some

flyer

If your cleaning the barrel after each session, your barrel may be tempermental and require 1 or 2 fouling shots. Try shooting 1 session and wait long enough for the barrel to thoughly cool. Then without cleaning see how the first shot of the next group compares.
If the problem persists relap the barrel with a lead plug and JP bore paste. Many small bore shooters put their first shot into the backstop to foul and warm the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom