Cetme and PTR91 compatability

So Ive had this dead Cetme for a couple of years. Couldnt get it to run.

I was bored today and decided to break it out and give it another look.

I disassembled my Cetme and my PTR-91 and swapped the PTR bolt and carrier with the Cetme one.

Lo and behold the Cetme functions!

My problem and my question is that the two carriers look different. The PTR carrier is shorter than the Cetme carrier yet it functions in the Cetme whereas the original Cetme bolt/carrier does not. I looked at some surplus Cetme carriers and they all look different from the PTR carriers.

Is it unsafe for me to have a PTR carrier installed in my Cetme?

Cetme PTR compatability

The Cetme / Hk / PTR bolts have a bolt gap measured with the bolt closed inside the mag well between the carrier and bolt. A .018 - .020 is in the acceptable range use a standard feeler gauge. To correct the gap you need to change the rollers go down in size to reduce gap, up to increase gap. The rollers are about $15. Some Cetme's were built using ground bolts and can cause problems as well. See Hkpro forums in reference library for more detailed info. Go to Hkparts talk to Adam. Good luck.

I got it fixed finally.

When I first got the lemon of a rifle the bolt gap and rollers were where I focused my attention replacing the bolt, locking piece and installing larger rollers.

Didnt help any so I threw it in the closet and forgot about it.

When I realized the PTR bolt assembly was working I figured the bolt wasnt the issue but the bolt carrier was to blame.

I dropped $60 on a "new" Cetme bolt carrier. It came a couple days ago. Upon measuring it it was at least 2mm longer than the bolt carrier my rifle came with. I swapped them and now the rifle functions fine and the gap is within spec.

All that time focused on the bolt head, locking pieces, rollers etc.. and it was the carriers length that was messing me up.

It's like I got a whole new gun in the collection for the price of a $60 part. Merry Christmas to me!

Back
Top Bottom