• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Century L1A1

M1966

NES Member
This may be a dumb question, but the rules for 922(r) confuse the Hell out of me.
I THINK I cannot but.......I have a Century L1A1 clone with plastic furniture. I bought some surplus wood a while back and refinished it. Can I swap the plastic for the wood and still be compliant, or would the wood have to come from a company like Ironwood Designs and be made in the USA to be legal? Does my refinishing the surplus wood make it "Made in USA"?
Thanks

Last edited:
Does my refinishing the surplus wood make it "Made in USA"?
Thanks

Good question,let's see the wood [smile] You modified the wood,so that could very well satisfy the requirements...DSA does some shady stuff to their parts to make them "Made in the USA"..

I *think* if the rifle was made prior to that law,the parts count doesn't take effect..

Try posting this question on FAL Files.

This may be a dumb question, but the rules for 922A confuse the Hell out of me.

I assume you're asking about 18 USC 44 § 922(r)? There is no 922A.

M1966 said:
Can I swap the plastic for the wood and still be compliant, or would the wood have to come from a company like Ironwood Designs and be made in the USA to be legal?

Depends upon what else is on there. Once you change something, you have to do a parts count and make sure that 10 or less of the parts listed below are imported.

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver
castings, forgings, or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

M1966 said:
Does my refinishing the surplus wood make it "Made in USA"?

Good luck with that, I doubt it.

Greg said:
I *think* if the rifle was made prior to that law,the parts count doesn't take effect..

922(r) isn't my strong suit, but I believe once you change something the law comes back into effect.

jdubois- I assume you're asking about 18 USC 44 § 922(r)? There is no 922A.

Yes, thank you. That's what I get for trying to work from memory at 1 in the morning...fixed.

Greg- Try posting this question on FAL Files.

Good idea, Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom