Central Mass Pins League - at North Leominster 7/5

I've only started doing the Sunday morning pins (circuit of North Leominster, Westminster, Winchendon & Athol), but persuaded Atilla to come on down.

Tons of fun, though sorry Mark for this photo set - did you manage to get any shots off on this round [smile]

dsc_0441-medium.jpg

dsc_0442-medium.jpg

dsc_0443-medium.jpg

dsc_0444-medium.jpg

Last edited:
Low and your over rotated on top. Notice where your shoulders are compared to hips. That is why your support arm is also so straight.

To get the balance and stability in that stance, your shoulders need to be rotated clockwise to match hips. Bringing your strong arm in across chest and support arm locking into support side.

Have fun..... [smile]

I kinda use a modified isosceles stance, knees ever so slightly bent, gun at
center, thumbs over grip (on a 1911. )

FWIW stance is important, but sight alignment and trigger squeeze, however, are paramount. Having a good natural point of aim helps too, especially when coming up to hit the first pin. Stance is great but if you don't pull the trigger correctly and don't know where your gun hits at 25 feet then those pins are not going off the table.

-Stop rushing. Yes, it's a race, but when you're starting out you are a bigger enemy than your opponent is. When you're starting out accuracy is way
more important than speed. Those who are accurate will typically beat 50% of shooters right out of the gate, because everyone else is too busy spraying
bullets at the pins (or at the table). Bear in mind that a miss consumes way more time than just slowing down a tad. It also keeps you from
running dry before you get to the last pin. Later on in the day when the pins are heavy and every other guy has an extra 1 or 2 on the table, may
not matter so much, but when the pins are fresh, having to reload sucks.

-Flinching- if you are new, you'll probably do it to some degree or another- and it gets worse when you are rushing, because if you try to shoot faster than you're really capable of, then you tend to mash the snot out of the trigger too hard, pulling the muzzle off target. If you are flinching badly use ball + dummy, and other techniques until you work it out of your system.

-Stop looking at the other guy's table!!!!!! Never, ever look at the other guy's table until either yours is clean or the match is over. Doing this wastes valuable seconds of time. Many people have lost matches because they wasted the 2-3 seconds it takes to look at the other guys table. Even when reloading this still wastes time and will slow down your reload.

-Use an appropriate caliber. You should only be shooting at pins with heavy bullet .357 mag, or .40 S+W on up. Anything below this point is almost a waste of ammunition and match fees, as past the first relay things like 9mm and .38 SPL RNL are beyond worthless. Once the table has a few craters in it, those calibers will not roll the pins over the defects. (This is especially true at a place like NL where the tables are just about below the shooters, making table hits more likely all around. ) The pins get heavy too after a few relays go by. Then the pins get bumps in them. Ideal calibers are .44 magnum, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, and 10mm (with hot 180 or 200 grain loads) If you know someone that has a spare gun in these calibers you are better off just buying some ammo and borrowing their gun. There is a reason .45 ACP is pretty much the dominant pin caliber in area shoots. Now, someone is going to go "But .45 acp is expeeeeensive!" It's not as expensive as it is to waste twice as much 9mm to do the same job. (A 9mm will rarely, if ever clean a table with 1 magazine, which is a detriment by itself. ) Running a 9mm against pins is it's own brand of self-torture / masochism- and it's even worse for newbs because they could be getting fairly solid hits but the pins refuse to leave the table.

-Clean your gun, magazines (and case gauge your ammo, if you use reloads) before a match. I can't stress this enough. I have lost many matches because I didn't do either of these because I was too lazy or some other excuse. I have also seen a bunch of other guys lose a match because of a gun jam. Gun malfunctions will totally destroy your concentration because the whole time all you'll be thinking about is "when is my gun going to fail next" and not "how do I clear off this table of pins". Shooting pins with a constantly malfing gun is just an exercise in futility. This is true whether the gun is a semi pistol or a revolver. (I've seen both fail on the line, revolvers are not immune. )

-Dry fire practice- Practice bringing your sights up at a dot on the wall and pulling the trigger without moving your front sight. Reset trigger, repeat,
etc.

-Live fire practice- Get yourself a pack of 3" shoot n see targets. If you have enough space, put up 4 of them about a foot apart on a target stand off the ground at pin height if possible. Practice coming up off the bench and cracking a shot off at the targets. If you can consistently hit a 3" shoot n see at 25 feet you are taking pins off the table, or at worst, at least hitting them every time. Even if you can only put up ONE shoot n see, practice coming up off the table and hitting it.

-Mike

Last edited:
dunnoe.gif

left:

1190198855147webisoscel.jpg

right:

1190198810897webweaver.jpg

i'm a little bit low but there's always room for improvement and i can acknowledge that.

These are both bad stances. The top one the guy has his elbows locked and that is a HUGE mistake. As the gun fires the recoil gets transfered into the shoulders causing the shooter to be knocked back with every shot. After several shots the shooter will be leaning backwards.

The 2nd photo is just akward. You want your hips facing your target with your lead leg being your "weaker" leg with both arms extended with a slight bend in your elbows. You want to get directly BEHIND the gun. You don't do any push pull pressure things with the gun. If you apply any pressure at all it is forward pressure and even with both hands. This will allow the gun to naturally allow the gun to recoil. You can't fight recoil so don't even bother trying.

You want to be slightly on the balls of your feet in a fighting type stance with your knees bent. The old theory was that law enforcement would turn sideways as to make them less of a target but that type of shooting has been proving to be less effective and in most cases is not used any more. The isocoles stance and weaver stance are quite obsolete thanks to modern practical shooting. They served their purpose until they were modified again to how we shoot now.

Pete

thanks for the tips, guys.

mike, for some of yours i could have sworn you were there watching a few of my matches. [laugh]

practice makes perfect! i can't wait for the next event though.

practice makes perfect! i can't wait for the next event though.

Correction:

PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Practice Makes PERMINENT....

So, if you practice poor shooting you will be great at shooting poorly.... If you practice great shooting you will be great at shooting great...

Pete

pin shoot 8/2

starting the day off right... clean gun, loaded mags, and a cup of coffee:

attachment.php

PSS at the firing line:

attachment.php

PSS laying the smack down on some pins rocking the 10mm:

attachment.php

nice pics mark.i wanted to bring a camera but the family took it with them this weekend.next time i'll take the pics of the wood flying

You guys are making me jealous. [laugh] I haven't shot at a bowling pin in a month, because I've been turned into f'ing "domesticus". This sundays fun was ripping out a rug, it's attendant pad and tackstrip. Maybe by the time september gets here I can actually get back in the game.

-Mike

the last shoot at NLRG is 9/6, it would be great to see you there. if you don't have the schedule shoot me a PM with your email address and i can forward it to you.

You guys are making me jealous. [laugh] I haven't shot at a bowling pin in a month, because I've been turned into f'ing "domesticus". This sundays fun was ripping out a rug, it's attendant pad and tackstrip. Maybe by the time september gets here I can actually get back in the game.

-Mike

So, that's where you have been hiding. Jon & I were starting to think you don't like us anymore. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom