CCW and school property.

Which creates the interesting situation in which a Floridian with a resident FL permit visiting NH may have more protection from the GFSZ law than a NH resident with a NH permit. This can be harder than figuring out the tax implications of gay marriage from another state.

More interesting is the fact that since NR NH Licenses are only issued by NH SP, therefore the NR Licenses DO meet the minimum requirements under federal law. So we have more protection than a NH Resident!!

Stupid question - What are your tactics for removing your carry from your holster and placing it the case in the trunk? Someone's always watching so how does one avoid "brandishing"

If I were in a situation where I had to place my carry in the trunk, I would do so in a spot other than where I intend on parking. Little too much? NYC tactic...why let the thieves see you place your laptop in the trunk as you go to Starbucks.
wrap it in an adult diaper and hold it out at arms length that way any BG wont target your trunk, then preemptively pee on yourself and make sure to carry your rape whistle with you. according to liberals this will make it safer than carrying a gun.[laugh]

Last edited:
...a Floridian with a resident FL permit visiting NH may have more protection from the GFSZ law than a NH resident with a NH permit.

Nope, the license must be issued by the State in which the school zone is located...

18 USC 922 said:
(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

>snip<

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State...

U.S.C. Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

Last edited:
Which creates the interesting situation in which a Floridian with a resident FL permit visiting NH may have more protection from the GFSZ law than a NH resident with a NH permit. This can be harder than figuring out the tax implications of gay marriage from another state.
Actually that's another gray array: The federal law has no acknowledgement of reciprocity. It says "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license"

More interesting is the fact that since NR NH Licenses are only issued by NH SP, therefore the NR Licenses DO meet the minimum requirements under federal law. So we have more protection than a NH Resident!!
Actually a town ordinance performing the designation to full-time police officer (or the sheriff for towns without a police force) as contemplated by RSA 159:6, would probably bring them into federal compliance based on the "or laws of the political subdivision" clause.

TO bring this back to the original question and to give an answer that is specific to Maine.

Maine law is more restrictive than federal law. The feds say you can have a gun unloaded and in a locked case locked in your truck. ME says no guns on school property period. It is a misdemeanor and not a felony. When I have gone to get my kids during hunting season I have seen a truck or two with guns in the rack picking up their kids and there was no big deal but I live in rural Maine.

I think it best to not break the law so my answer is to park off school property and that is what I have done. In the case like you mentioned that you cannot, such as your kid needs to be picked up now, she/he is too sick to walk off school property and it is something you have to for all practical purposes, then I would unload the gun off of school property and away from prying eyes and lock apart from the ammo. Put it in the truck or better yet if the gun can be be taken apart easily and you can remove the slide from the frame quick like a Glock then I would lock each piece in a different place then go on school property. This gives you a chance at trial if you get caught.

But then again that is a lot of work. If you just simply lock the gun in the trunk unloaded and pick up your kid. No one will know unless you do something to give a cop probable cause to search your car. I would not however carry onto school property.

P.S. There is no law restricting CCW on private school property or college level schools.

No one would. Conceal the damn thing, and be quiet about it.

Ideally, yeah. But what if you pass out from an undiagnosed arrhythmia or seizure? What if some punk out of nowhere smacks you in the back of the head with a brick? What if you fall down a flight of stairs and either get knocked out or break your femur and can't walk? You'll get carried off by EMS, your firearm gets found, and you are now a PP for life. Is it right? Nope, not in my book. Is it worth the risk? Not in my book, either.

Ideally, yeah. But what if you pass out from an undiagnosed arrhythmia or seizure? What if some punk out of nowhere smacks you in the back of the head with a brick? What if you fall down a flight of stairs and either get knocked out or break your femur and can't walk? You'll get carried off by EMS, your firearm gets found, and you are now a PP for life. Is it right? Nope, not in my book. Is it worth the risk? Not in my book, either.

EXACTLY what happened at an area school (college) that I heard direct from one of their detectives. Then they snitched to his Chief re: suitability.

Back
Top Bottom