Caught this on my 5/44 Springfield Garand

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I had this out of the safe the other day, and when turning to the left, the sun coming through the window illuminated this very, very faint cartouche on the left butt stock. Reminded me of the Hobbit when the moon of Durin's Day illuminated the keyhole in the side of the Lonely Mountain. Looks like it went through a RIA overhaul at some point before going to CMP.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2633.jpg
    IMG_2633.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2636.jpg
    IMG_2636.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Nice looking Garand
The stock went through a RIA rebuild, rifle maybe not. No way of knowing if that stock is original to that rifle, may have got changed at CMP or anywhere along the way
Dont leave those canvas muzzle protectors on long time storage. They can collect moisture and rust the muzzle. I have seen it before

Even harder to see is the correct SA/GAW cartouche on the stock. Basically its just plain worn off under a scuffed area; you need just the right light and have to sacrifice a .30/06 cartridge to see it. I've seen enough to say its there, but its impossible to photograph.

t

- - - Updated - - -

Nice looking Garand
The stock went through a RIA rebuild, rifle maybe not. No way of knowing if that stock is original to that rifle, may have got changed at CMP or anywhere along the way
Dont leave those canvas muzzle protectors on long time storage. They can collect moisture and rust the muzzle. I have seen it before

Rifles are in a 48+8 fire proof safe in a climate controlled air conditioned house. I've been told that in these conditions they're fine. I've seen no rust or anything since I've had the safe - more than three years now.

t

Even harder to see is the correct SA/GAW cartouche on the stock. Basically its just plain worn off under a scuffed area; you need just the right light and have to sacrifice a .30/06 cartridge to see it. I've seen enough to say its there, but its impossible to photograph.

t

- - - Updated - - -

Rifles are in a 48+8 fire proof safe in a climate controlled air conditioned house. I've been told that in these conditions they're fine. I've seen no rust or anything since I've had the safe - more than three years now.

t

there is really no reason to store it with the muzzle protector on it. Stored correctly and in a stable dry climate it will take years to form any rust. Often though its noticed when its to late. I would at least stick a piece of VCI paper in the muzzle cap before putting it on if the rifle is to be stored

I am speaking from experience about the muzzle protector. It was on a carbine that sat for years but did cuase a spot of rust . This was many years ago when I thought they looked cool. I have since realized they are of no use and gave them away

I am speaking from experience about the muzzle protector. It was on a carbine that sat for years but did cuase a spot of rust . This was many years ago when I thought they looked cool. I have since realized they are of no use and gave them away

much like the GIs did.

Best I can do in twilight; you can barely see the "A" in the upper right quarter.

t

Attachments

• IMG_2926.jpg
    IMG_2926.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom