Cape Cod Canal

pj150

NES Member
Well, looks like this fishery might be on hold this year since I have read that they will be dredging the channel. I'm pretty sure that the silt and the concussions of the dredging machines will scare off the fish or at least change the bottom drastically as we know it. The rocks lining the canal will be shifted as well.

I had a few areas that produced very well for me over the years. I really like fishing the canal since at different spots, you can catch pretty much every variety of fish that is available in the NorthEast. Seabass, scup, blackfish, cod, flounder, fluke, blues, stripers, etc. I even got some bluecrabs and lobster and a few oddball fish I've never seen before.

Since I tend to fish the canal exclusively, I had not explored other areas in the last 8+ years. With this dredging project I don't have a 'surefirespot' spot anymore. I had a spot and technique for each variety of fish while fishing the canal

I do know of other spots for things such as squidding (coming up soon) but that requires specific days and tides. I'm worried about those times this spring/summer where I can just take off for 6-7 hours with a rod and be able to catch at least something. Not that I will have much time in the next 5+ years with my two new boys but I can probaby sneak out for a few hours this sumer/fall when they are older and sleep thru the night.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Do you have alternative/backup places to fish? I have some ideas but I will still need to do alot of recon and experimenting if and when I do go.

I've fished the Canal a number of times. The only thing I've ever caught there is....rocks, lobster traps, etc.

It's no surprise to me that they have to dredge it. It's probably been filled in with lures...

My only alternative locations are 1) Martha's Vineyard (I'll be there later in the summer for a couple weeks) and 2) South Beach, but that's only feasible until June 1. And since I'm taking a class at night until Memorial Day....

One night I was fishing, I cruise ship went through. I could have hooked it easy. Problem was, I wasn't sure if it was long enough to be a keeper [wink]

I wouldn't sweat it. the canal is what? 6 miles long east to west? that's 12 miles of shoreline. sure it'll suck when the dredging barge if stuck on one of the well known holes but should be plenty of other spots to check. just gonna have to really pick our tides.

I mostly fish the Canal myself. I'll be heading down to the campground for two weeks soon, and plan to fish a lot. They can't dredge the whole canal at once. Who knows what changes this will bring.

I hate the thoughts of the Lobster Pound and the Rock Church getting changed, but as long as there is water there will be fish. And you know that you can catch fish anytime, anyplace in the Canal, you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom