cap and ball firearms

Does anyone know if black powder handguns are exempt from the licensing requirements of MGL 140? It seems that muzzleloading shotguns and rifles are by virtue of Section 129C, clause (p) but I can't find anything specifically on sidearms.

Yesterday I saw a commercial for the Ruger Old Army pistol on the outdoor channel that really interested me. I wouldn't mind putting some ball ammo down range while I wait for my LTC to process.

An antique firearm is defined as any handgun, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or before 1899, or any replica thereof which is not designed for firing fixed ammunition or which uses fixed ammunition no longer manufactured in the United States and no longer readily available commercially.

A FID card is not required to possess antique and replica firearms in the home or place of business. A license to carry is required when antique and replica handguns are being carried outside the home or place of business.

Hope that helps.

sounds good

Thank you SR for the help. I was able to locate the applicable section in MGL using your contribution as search criteria.

Here it is for anyone else that may be interested:

Chapter 140: Section 121. Firearms sales; definitions; antique firearms; application of law; exceptions

The provisions of sections 122 to 129D, inclusive, and sections 131, 131A, 131B and 131E shall not apply to:

(A) any firearm, rifle or shotgun manufactured in or prior to the year 1899;

(B) any replica of any firearm, rifle or shotgun described in clause (A) if such replica: (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; and

(C) manufacturers or wholesalers of firearms, rifles, shotguns or machine guns.

AFAIK, I will surely be corrected if wrong. You do not need a LTC or FID to buy most black powder guns. However in MA you will need a minimum of FID to buy components for it (powder, primers, ect.).

Moderator said:
AFAIK, I will surely be corrected if wrong. You do not need a LTC or FID to buy most black powder guns. However in MA you will need a minimum of FID to buy components for it (powder, primers, ect.).

Yep. You are correct, unfortunately.

It figures.

Moderator said:
Also I do not know what the laws are about transporting black powder guns.

Chapter 140: Section 121 addresses firearms sales, definitions, antique firearms, application of law, and exceptions. In a nutshell, a firearm is a "pistol, revolver or other weapon of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which a shot or bullet can be discharged..."

The exception to the definitions of section 121 include blackpowder firearms and firearms that have a date of manufacture prior to 1899. Apparently the devices previously mentioned aren't considered firearms.

Chapter 140 Section 129c spells out the terms for the ownership or possession of ammo and firarms. It basically says that "no person, other than a licensed dealer or one who has been issued a license to carry a pistol or revolver or an exempt person as hereinafter described, shall own or possess any firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition..."

The exception to 129c is once again held for the "carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121..." I take this to mean that BP guns can be lawfully owned and possessed without a license.

Chapter 269 Section 10 makes it a crime to carry a firearm, rifle, or shotgun without a LTC/FID. The exception? You guessed it; 129C or 131G for non-residents.

So it's pretty clear that you can own a BP firearm without a license. It gets murky when the question of ammo comes up, because on one hand ammunition is defined in 121 as cartridges, casings, powder, primers, and bullets, among other things, and falls under the authority of 129c. Yet 129c also makes an exception for black powder rifles, shotguns, AND THEIR AMMUNITION. I notice that the exceptions in 129c say nothing about black powder pistols. So if you have a .45cal rifle you can legally possess .45 ball shot and powder but not if you have 1851 Navy? That's how it seems to the untrained observer.

As far as carrying goes, Chapter 140 Section 131 spells out what may be carried according to the license or FID card held by the owner. Except that 129c exempts black powder guns and pre-1899 firearm from the requirements of section 131. Which suggests to me that these firearms may be carried without a license. The only problem is that interpretation contradicts with case law: Commonwealth vs. Bibby (2002). Bibby contended that he wasn't outside of the law by carrying a pre-1899 firearm without a LTC (since the definition of firearm doesn't apply to these devices) and therefore shouldn't be charged with violating 269-10. The judge ruled that there are only five exceptions to 269-10 and antique firearms fail to meet any of the five criteria. See Commonwealth v. Bibby (2002). So owning is ok, ammo is iffy, and carrying is out of the question without a LTC.

Vehicle transport still falls under the stipulations of Chapter 140 Section 131c, Carrying of firearms in a vehicle. It seems that the laws that apply to conventional fiearms apply to operable black powder/antique firearms also, as there is no exception to 131c from 129c.

BTW, in spite of it being completely obvious, IANAL.

Last edited:
I wonder if Bibby was carrying a BP pistol instead of an antique would he have beat the firearm charge?

Back
Top Bottom