Canning class: Interest thread

Twigg

NES Member
OK the Mrs & I had a talk and we are willing to put on another how-to class on home canning. This time we have a location in the middle of southern NH and the class will be run a little different.

First, everyone attending will get a copy of the Ball Blue Book of Canning. We will guide you through the entire process of taking raw meat and converting it into a delicious shelf stable ready to eat food item. Home canned meats can be eaten straight out of the jar or heated with other ingredients and made in a wonderfull meal.

During the last class we set out several samples of various meat we had canned for folks to sample, this time the class will feature an entire meal from long term preps which will include various home canned items. We feel this will better highlight the possibilites of what can be dome with home canned items.

If enough folks are interested I can look into setting up a small group buy for pressure canners.

There will be discussion on the differences between a "Cooker" and a "Canner" and what can be done with either one.

The differences between waterbath and pressure canning will be discussed, this class will be on pressure canning as it is a little more involved and also more versatile.

Note: Please do not drag this off topic with jokes about the NSA and the devices used in the recent terror attacks !

The class should run about four to six hours , the location, date and time of the class will be announced with enough time for you to plan on attending.

Time frame is roughly two months out.

Cost will be around 30 to 35 bucks, not including any potential goup buy on cookers or canners.

Most likely we can accommodate 20 people.

Anyone interested in canning with No.10 cans will need to speak with me privately at the class;
I DO NOT LEND THE CANNING MACHINE OUT FOR ANYONE

This is an interest thread only, location, date and final cost will be announced at a later date.

For those unfamiliar with my canning threads :

Adventures in canning I Ground Beef
Adventures in canning II Chuck Roast, cubed
Adventures in canning III Chicken !
Adventures in canning IV Packrat Pork !
No rats were harmed in the making of the above thread... [laugh]
Adventures in canning V Dry Goods
Adventures in canning VI Turkey Parts
Adventures in canning VII No.10 Cans

Just subbed to thread and will be watching. I work weekends and cannot take off, but once a date is announced, ill see about trying to make it. Sounds fun. Have mostly been using the ball book and going off youtube videos.

Twigg,

If you need assistance putting it on let me know, my wife and I have been canning heavily for the past 4 years with both pressure and water bath and I'd be happy to help if I'm available on the weekend you run this.

Definitely interested as we're trying to get going on this. Depends on date and our schedule though which is always in a state of flux.

Alright folks it appears there is enough interest.

I'll be posting details sometime in the first week of September.

I'm sure they'll be a few more wanting in by the time it's all arrainged.

Last edited:
I might be in. Jen an I decided to learn to can veggies this season, and we're about to get started with that in the next month or so. I don't know if meats are in the cards just yet. It might be cool to just go to learn, spend some time with some NES'rs and have a nice meal though.

I just saw this. Sundays are no problem. Saturday might work if I can get the day off. I just bought a pressure canner so this would be perfect.

This is just an interest thread folks. ,,,and there's more than enough interest.

There will be an announcement in a couple weeks, the class will be a couple weeks after the announcement.

Back
Top Bottom