Canada's bid to replace WWII-era pistols a case study in government incompetence

8,000 pistols? For the entire army? That's rookie numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there with 8000 pistols never mind an army lol.
As of 2020, the Canadian Army has 23,000 regular soldiers, 19,000 reserve soldiers, for a total of 42,000 soldiers. 8k pistols seems reasonable for a force that size.

As of 2020, the Canadian Army has 23,000 regular soldiers, 19,000 reserve soldiers, for a total of 42,000 soldiers. 8k pistols seems reasonable for a force that size.

Yeah it makes sense. Only officers and specific slotted enlisted will be assigned pistols.

Why not just buy the new FN highpowers? Would be minimal retraining, etc.
Now that FN has decided to start production again it was be the simplest thing to do.

I was baffled when the Canadian government decided to get rid of the Canadian Ranger's No.4 rifles when the parts they needed are still widely available and even if they wanted all new, could have been banged out by modern manufacturing by someone like Ruger or Savage because a government order would cover the initial tooling/mold costs which then would lead to new commercial Lee action models.
LEM4%2Bcopy.png

The reason, as others have mentioned, for not getting rid of the Inglis guns is because of government budgeting issues and corruption.

NYC, LA, and Chicago all have more than 8,000 uniformed police officers, at 36k, 12k, and 10k, respectively. None of those departments have issues with having eighty year old guns. We could probably invade Canada just using the NYPD. The reason Canada does is because they don't want to pay for new guns.

The reason, as others have mentioned, for not getting rid of the Inglis guns is because of government budgeting issues and corruption.

NYC, LA, and Chicago all have more than 8,000 uniformed police officers, at 36k, 12k, and 10k, respectively. None of those departments have issues with having eighty year old guns. We could probably invade Canada just using the NYPD. The reason Canada does is because they don't want to pay for new guns.
Canada's military has been a mess for a while. Sure, the military personnel are competent and professional but the supporting government is a dumpster fire.

The pinnacle of Canada military trainwreck is its submarine force

Canada's military has been a mess for a while. Sure, the military personnel are competent and professional but the supporting government is a dumpster fire.

The pinnacle of Canada military trainwreck is its submarine force

Literally all Canadian DOD has to do is this:

"Hi, Century Arms? We have a few thousand Inglis High Powers but we want Glocks instead. Can you broker a deal where we sell you the IHPs and then you pay Glock for the new guns?" "Sure [or, maybe Canada pays off a balance]."

Done.

The American milsurp community would love surplus Inglis guns, especially with all the history of being Canadian military guns. Glock would love the new contract. And the average Canadian in their military would love a new handgun. Win-win-win.

But Canada has no interest in picking up the phone.

You guys didn't even read the money 'grafs:

... sometimes government procurement is hard. Governments sometimes need stuff that no one else needs, ... Some of this stuff just can’t be bought off the shelf.​
But pistols can! A properly licensed Canadian can walk into a store, point at one on a literal shelf and say, “That one, please.” After a few days of paperwork, that person can pick it up and take it home. Pistols exist, in quantity, and there’s plenty of manufacturing capacity for them, from experienced producers with decades of experience.​

Pussies. Canada has objectively decided that Canada is unsuitable.

I think this was Canada, tried to find video, cant.... short version:
staircase in park connecting two walkways at different elevations needed replacement, people were walking down hill, and falling (stairs blocked off) ...
Pussies. Canadians didn't used to need stairs to climb a hill.

Stairs guy. I recall that as some old guy that fixed it (and well) himself. If he was a contractor he had retired.
There's actually a thread on this very site about it.
Paging @AHM
Never mind, AHM!
When I first tripped over your alert, I hadn't seen this thread
and thought you were thinking about this:
stairsms001.jpg

You guys didn't even read the money 'grafs:

... sometimes government procurement is hard. Governments sometimes need stuff that no one else needs, ... Some of this stuff just can’t be bought off the shelf.​
But pistols can! A properly licensed Canadian can walk into a store, point at one on a literal shelf and say, “That one, please.” After a few days of paperwork, that person can pick it up and take it home. Pistols exist, in quantity, and there’s plenty of manufacturing capacity for them, from experienced producers with decades of experience.​

Pussies. Canada has objectively decided that Canada is unsuitable.

Pussies. Canadians didn't used to need stairs to climb a hill.

When I first tripped over your alert, I hadn't seen this thread
and thought you were thinking about this:
stairsms001.jpg
That's... Impressive... But no, not what I meant

That's... Impressive... But no, not what I meant
It helped the confusion that as I'm catching up on my Alert backlog,
I somehow tripped over the "referred to AHM" alert for your post without noticing
the "started a new thread" alert. So I plopped down near the end of the thread
with no context.

No one's saying it, but I assume the dead professor
damn well knew the stairs were closed and verboten,
but he ducked a caution tape or vaulted a low barrier -
because F the MBTA maintenance sluggards.
Bold move gone wrong.

Wonder if he was "jogging" down the steps and if a
normal human perhaps walking a tad gingerly
would never have triggered the failure.

Although...On at least one of the Rt. 9 overpasses (Rt. 27) there are
decommissioned steps down the cloverleaf.

Note how the "No Trespassing" sign and bars that existed in Oct'08
have utterly disappeared by Jun'09.

But they're just steps on dirt. About the worst thing that would happen
if you used those steps would be a bad case of bites by
Lyme ticks who are slathered with poison ivy.

It helped the confusion that as I'm catching up on my Alert backlog,
I somehow tripped over the "referred to AHM" alert for your post without noticing
the "started a new thread" alert. So I plopped down near the end of the thread
with no context.

No one's saying it, but I assume the dead professor
damn well knew the stairs were closed and verboten,
but he ducked a caution tape or vaulted a low barrier -
because F the MBTA maintenance sluggards.
Bold move gone wrong.

Wonder if he was "jogging" down the steps and if a
normal human perhaps walking a tad gingerly
would never have triggered the failure.

1644005195893.png

As for decommissioned steps, those of you that have walked over the iron bridge from North End to Charlestown, no doubt while going to visit Maura, may have looked down through the grate composing the walkway. You'll see some stairs down to what used to be, I suppose, a control room (the bridge used to spin so taller boats could pass it). Some of the steel stairs, the steps have fallen out. Who would have ever imagined they'd fail in such a mild, salt water environment...

Years ago, someone kindly painted a warning sign on the pavement - something along the lines of "VERTIGO ZONE"

As for decommissioned steps, those of you that have walked over the iron bridge from North End to Charlestown, no doubt while going to visit Maura, may have looked down through the grate composing the walkway. You'll see some stairs down to what used to be, I suppose, a control room (the bridge used to spin so taller boats could pass it). Some of the steel stairs, the steps have fallen out. Who would have ever imagined they'd fail in such a mild, salt water environment...
We toured carrier JFK twice when she made port.

The second time it was a farewell kiss to the Bay State
on the way down to decommissioning.

On that second time, I looked over the edge of the flight deck
and saw that swaths of the walkway's diamondplate
had giant holes rusted in it like a NYC taxi cab floor.

image-asset.jpeg
hqdefault.jpg

The bottom of those stairs is fenced in. Looks like steps were cast on grade so while a hazard, they aren't deadly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom