Can you confirm my reasoning

nightpoison

NES Member
So I'm in the process of making final decisions on picking up a rifle. I have decided on the Savage 10FP. I've done my research and like the accutrigger, the brand, the price, and options for upgrade.

so here's my question. .308 or .223?

I'm leaning towards the .223 for the following reasons

1) I am not going to be hunting with it, just target shooting, so don't really need the larger projectile.
2) .223 has been recorded as being very accurate, but not as accurate at longer distances as .308. However my range only has max 200yrds, so don't feel the need to go for the .308 just yet.
3) cost of production .223 is less than .308, and I imagine (but not sure) that it would cost less for when I start reloading
4) I'll get a .308 later down the road, for longer distance shoots. and of course just because I want another toy [wink]. having multiple rifles in different calibers, well there's nothing wrong with that.

Good reasoning? Any other reasons to support my decision? any good reason's to just push for the .308 now?

One thing to consider is that the 10FP in .223 comes with a 1:9 twist barrel, so you're limited to 62gr bullets. That's fine for ... 300 yards or so, but if you want to shoot at 600 you'll have trouble.

I have a 10FP in .223, I bought it for the same reasons you're using. However, I didn't have a reloading press then. If I had to do it over I'd get it in .308. If I couldn't reload for some reason I'd get the .223.

Oh, it's .223 Rem., and NOT 5.56 NATO. I ran a couple 5.56 through mine, and they showed signs of overpressure. Don't run military 5.56 stuff through it.

2) .223 has been recorded as being very accurate, but not as accurate at longer distances as .308. However my range only has max 200yrds, so don't feel the need to go for the .308 just yet.
This single reason is why I purchased a 10/22 - ammo costs can be prohibitive unless you have a trust fund.

One thing to consider is that the 10FP in .223 comes with a 1:9 twist barrel, so you're limited to 62gr bullets. That's fine for ... 300 yards or so, but if you want to shoot at 600 you'll have trouble.

I have a 10FP in .223, I bought it for the same reasons you're using. However, I didn't have a reloading press then. If I had to do it over I'd get it in .308. If I couldn't reload for some reason I'd get the .223.

Oh, it's .223 Rem., and NOT 5.56 NATO. I ran a couple 5.56 through mine, and they showed signs of overpressure. Don't run military 5.56 stuff through it.

This, except Savages are (supposedly) very easy to a) rebarrel and b) get replacement barrels for. Somewhere down the road, get a 1/7 5.56 barrel for it.

Correct, good catch!
Do NOT run 5.56 in a .223 only gun. It's fine to run the .223 in a 5.56 however. This rarely get's mentioned, but always worth repeating!

I have a 10FP in .308 if you'd like to test drive one this weekend. I shoot at Quaboag Sportsman's Club in Warren, MA.

Any premium ammo components or factory will be uncheap regardless of caliber. May as well have something that will buck the wind a bit at distance.

This, except Savages are (supposedly) very easy to a) rebarrel and b) get replacement barrels for. Somewhere down the road, get a 1/7 5.56 barrel for it.

Yep. But a new barrel is another $325 or so, which is a fair percentage of the original cost.

I had a moisture issue and the original barrel got trashed (that made me unhappy). So I bought a Shillen 1:8 stainless Wylde chambered barrel to replace it. I'm still waiting on the "go" gauge so I haven't installed it yet.

Can't fault your reasoning - 223 would work fine for you. As atmay mentioned, barrel swaps on Savages are easy - a home project. Once you start handloading, you can tailor loads for whatever bullet your rifle likes anyway.

Get both. Eventually you will need to.

I don't like how it's only chambered for 223. That alone would make me want to go for the 308 (which I actually did buy but never fired).
I wish I didn't have to sell the 308 but I had to pay for the LR-308 somehow.

And maybe someday you'll be shooting out past 200 yards. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 308 to do it with?

Accutrigger is awesome.

exactly one of the reasons why I want to go with the savage. I figured down the road I could upgrade the barrel and grab one chambered for the 5.56. At that point I could use both .223 or the 5.56

If you're only going to have one rifle, get the .308
If you KNOW you're going to get one (.308) in the future, get the .223.

I have no doubt that I'll get one specificly in .308 later on.

Get both. Eventually you will need to.

I don't like how it's only chambered for 223. That alone would make me want to go for the 308 (which I actually did buy but never fired).
I wish I didn't have to sell the 308 but I had to pay for the LR-308 somehow.

And maybe someday you'll be shooting out past 200 yards. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 308 to do it with?

Accutrigger is awesome.

agreed, just don't see me shooting past 200 yards any time soon. I will at some point, but can't grab both just yet.

[shocked] my Savage 10FP's manual says .223 rem and 5.56 Nato.

the best ammo i use in it is XM 193 5.56. no lie... i'll re-look when i get home....

OP - get the .223 for now... i got mine in trade for the same reason.. i need to shoot it again.. it's been a while...

[shocked] my Savage 10FP's manual says .223 rem and 5.56 Nato.

the best ammo i use in it is XM 193 5.56. no lie... i'll re-look when i get home....

OP - get the .223 for now... i got mine in trade for the same reason.. i need to shoot it again.. it's been a while...

Huh.. Mine says ".223 Rem." on the barrel, and when I called Savage to check they said, "don't run 5.56 NATO" I was pretty sure my manual says the same thing, but now that you say that I'll have to dig it out and check.

How soon do you anticipate reloading? The cost difference between .223 and .308 drops a lot when you move to reloaded ammo. Still more expensive, but not decidedly so.

Although another thought in favor of the .223 - if you're new-er to shooting, you'll do better training on a rifle with less recoil. Practice for a year or two with the .223, you'll master the .308 more quickly.

Regardless, your logic seems sound - enjoy your rifle!

Heh, good then! I'd say that should be the marksmanship workhorse, then the bigger gun for other uses.

Personally I'd go .308 of .30-06, because I want to put holes in edible creatures, but that's just me.

I've already started to upgrade the 10/22. New springs, Bolt reworked, and new arc mag release. next is a new stock and replace the plastic trigger assembly with a kidd 2 stage trigger

How soon do you anticipate reloading? The cost difference between .223 and .308 drops a lot when you move to reloaded ammo. Still more expensive, but not decidedly so.

Although another thought in favor of the .223 - if you're new-er to shooting, you'll do better training on a rifle with less recoil. Practice for a year or two with the .223, you'll master the .308 more quickly.

Regardless, your logic seems sound - enjoy your rifle!

Not that soon, thinking within 6 months for the reloading.

I am relatively new, so that is another good point.

in typical fashion, i can't find my "hard copy" manual to my rifle.

i looked online at Savage, and it says "223 remington, 69gr" is the "optimum ammo" or some crap like that.

mind you, i have at least 600 rounds through this gun, MOST of which is either Black Hills 55gr, .223 or Federal XM 193 5.56 NATO. [laugh]

oh well, i'm going to keep shooting it... several NES members have the shot the rifle with the same ammo, i'm talking sub-MOA @ 100 yards off the rest with factory ammo.

[thinking]

Yep. But a new barrel is another $325 or so, which is a fair percentage of the original cost.

I had a moisture issue and the original barrel got trashed (that made me unhappy). So I bought a Shillen 1:8 stainless Wylde chambered barrel to replace it. I'm still waiting on the "go" gauge so I haven't installed it yet.

You can use a cartridge as a go gauge.

B

I love my Savage Scout in .308. Save your .223 or 5.56 for an AR-15 you will eventually buy

I have a AWS lower on order right now for an AR build. I'm thinking the .223 for the savage because it will use the same ammo as the AR, I won't have to go crazy with different ammo, and I'll be reloading for both anyway, eventually

I have a AWS lower on order right now for an AR build. I'm thinking the .223 for the savage because it will use the same ammo as the AR, I won't have to go crazy with different ammo, and I'll be reloading for both anyway, eventually

I wouldn't buy a rifle that was 223 chambered if my other rifles were 5.56 chambered.
I wouldn't want the hassle of maintaining 2 possible types of ammo.

I wouldn't buy a rifle that was 223 chambered if my other rifles were 5.56 chambered.
I wouldn't want the hassle of maintaining 2 possible types of ammo.

but I would still be doing that if I got the .308, maintaining two different ammo. At least with the .223 rifle & .5.56 AR I would be able to use .223 in both.

but I would still be doing that if I got the .308, maintaining two different ammo. At least with the .223 rifle & .5.56 AR I would be able to use .223 in both.

The issue, however, is that .308 and .223/5.56 are blatantly different. .223 and 5.56, externally, are virtually identical, but not necessarily interchangeable.

If you get both the bolt gun and AR in 5.56, you can use both 5.56 and .223 in both.

Back
Top Bottom