Can Remington UMC .45 be reloaded?

I've been shooting Remington UMC .45 (the stuff Dicks sells for ~$18 for 50 rounds) over the past few days. Is this sub-par brass? Should I be grabbing the casings and saving them in case I decide to reload at some point?

As far as I know, the only thing you can't reload is steel case. I've reloaded UMC with no problems. Hopefully someone with more reloading experience can chime in with an answer that will leave you with more of a warm fuzzy than mine did, though.

Last edited:
umc brass

I've reloaded umc brass without any problems. You can reload steel cases but I don't because of the additional wear and tear on the sizing die. It's aluminum that you can't reload because of the berdan primer. CCI probably doesn't want people subjecting the aluminum case to the stress of a second firing.

Not sure what kind of cases they use now, if they're nickel or not.

The Brass R-P cases for me work out pretty well, though, primers go in easily. I've run into a few cases where the neck tension sucked, though, but that's been only a handful of R-P headstamps out of like 300-400 pieces of
brass.

I've also reloaded the nickel R-P .45 cases with good results, but most of the ones I got came from a guy shooting rem golden sabers. [grin]

-Mike

Last edited:
Just curious .. how many times can you reload safely. 4-5 times?

On .45 ACP you can basically reload them until the neck splits, at least that's what I do. Out of a few thousand pieces of brass I have in circulation, I've only had to throw away a handful of them, most of them were Fioccis... not sure why, but those seem to split first... maybe their brass is thinner or more brittle.

-Mike

You can reload them. Like DrGrant, I've found that R-P brass in some calibers (.32 ACP is the worst) has very weak neck tension. I think the brass is thin.

You can reload .45 ACP indefinitely. I have some cases that I've loaded so many times I can barely read the headstamp.

I toss the cases when the primers start to get loose. If I feel a primer go in too easy while I'm loading, I take that finished cartridge and throw it into separate can. These are the rounds I take to shoots where I'm not going to be scrounging my brass. Keep that in mind at the next NES shoot.

The main problem with steel and aluminum cases (other than what Gerry already pointed out) is that those materials work harden much faster than brass, and even if you could/did reload the cases, they'd split after one or two reloadings.

yes they can be reloaded....i have some that have been reloaded at least 10x and these were once fired that i found on the range along with the 5 boxes they came in.

Back
Top Bottom