can I shoot, Stamford Vermont edition

arsco

NES Member
got a place I go to in Stamford VT land owner lets us wheel and camp. there is not a house anywhere near the place I want to shoot and there is a really good back stop. Im not sure what the rules are if anyone can help that would be great

got a place I go to in Stamford VT land owner lets us wheel and camp. there is not a house anywhere near the place I want to shoot and there is a really good back stop.
If the landowner doesn't want you raising a ruckus,
you're not gonna get legal permission from NES.

If the landowner doesn't care,
they'll tell you the rules they want followed.

Agree with @AHM , this is a question that should be first asked of the landowner out of respect for him and allowing the use of his land.
the land owner would let me blow the whole town back to 1640 . burning a camper with 50 gallons of #2 is just getting the weekend started. im looking to kill a few pop cans and not get clinked

(And beyond basic 1950's landowner relations etiquette;
which I do agree with),
he'll know if some sheriff needs warning or whatever.
Exactly. Landowner may even call the local sheriff and give him a heads up, small places like that are still pretty cool about stuff.

On the state level, there are very few shooting/gun laws. I don’t think any prevent you from doing what you want to do.

You should give the local PD a call and see if they have any local laws that you should know about.

Dave

Sounds like the Badlands. If it is , Chip the land owner is ok with shooting. At least with us, I did ask permission directly. And so should you.

Sounds like the Badlands. If it is , Chip the land owner is ok with shooting. At least with us, I did ask permission directly. And so should you.
I've known chip for many years. Me and a couple other guys cut most the original trails there. It's amazing what that place has turned into.
I won't be calling around, chip has had enough trouble with the town and state. Probably best to leave them home anyway.

On the state level, there are very few shooting/gun laws. I don’t think any prevent you from doing what you want to do.

You should give the local PD a call and see if they have any local laws that you should know about.

Dave
Asking the PD. Terrible idea.

It is simple:
1. Are there laws in VT about shooting outside of a gun club?
2. Does the town have any bylaws?

If NO to both and the owner is cool, shoot.

Example, in MA, you can shoot outside, but some towns have restrictions. Westford I believe does not allow any shooting, or they don't allow hunting (one of those two). Kingston, doesn't care as long as it is not town property and you meet the requirements (X feet away from homes, X feet away from roads).

By the way, 250 and 500 feet is a lot farther away than most people realize.

Asking the PD. Terrible idea.
^ QFTMFT.

Asking the local PD if there are any laws
is like refueling your van on the side of 128 from jerry cans
with a defensive ring of rifles deployed.

That's why you go to the landowner,
who knows the local environment.

Example, in MA, you can shoot outside, but some towns have restrictions. Westford I believe does not allow any shooting, or they don't allow hunting (one of those two). ...
No hunting on private property without written landowner permission.

Might have changed, but when I lived in VT about 15 years ago it was no shooting from a road and must not be within 900ft of an occupied building.

^ QFTMFT.

Asking the local PD if there are any laws
is like refueling your van on the side of 128 from jerry cans
with a defensive ring of rifles deployed.

That's why you go to the landowner,
who knows the local environment.

No hunting on private property without written landowner permission.

I understand you have opinions in the matter, and that i respect. However I am a Vermont land owner. I shoot on my land frequently. Never have the police (local or state) ever come to my property for anyone shooting. Also, I have spoken to them about shooting machine guns in my property and if they had concerns. Even after the machine gun questions, they have never visited me. It’s been my experience that Vermont police are not like your local police in regard to firearms. It is a way of life for the much of the state and for the most part police couldn’t care less about one’s recreational shooting.

From your expressed opinion, you may have had different experiences with Vermont police. Please tell me what your actual, personal experience with them has been and in which jurisdiction.

Dave

Growing up my dad brought us all over VT for camping , White River Junction area.
VT was the hardest place to just go plinking.
You would not see a soul for miles and hours, set off a few pops from the 10/22
Shut down.
We usually stayed close enough to NH area to find s place to go shooting
. Depending where in MA you live there are still some plinking spots. Several around my house that are frequently having fun. Im only minutes from 2 clubs so open sand pits are not really needed for me.

Back
Top Bottom