Can I send a AR15 lower for engraving through the USPS

Reptile

NES Member
A AR15 lower being sent to an engraver is considered a repair and can be done by UPS or FedEx.
Can it also be done through the USPS?

Or, is it like a handgun that COULD be sent through the USPS but only by a FFL?

Trying to save a few bucks.

Did you have to go through a UPS hub or did can you send a lower through the UPS store?

I prepackaged it and printed out my own label sent through ups store. The description of contents should be thought out.

Going back to a repair facility, a person can only send it UPS overnight. An FFL holder can use the Postal Service as well I believe. Of course you can tell them whatever you want as far as contents. If you're going the machine parts route and you heavily insure, be prepared to give them, UPS, cause they always ask me, a detailed list of what you are shipping. It's to the point where I've done it so often I'm not paranoid anymore. That's why god invented insurance.

I sent my raw receivers to be anodized and insured for $400 via USPS - not a single question asked of me, but my post office may differ from yours.

I sent a lower back to the manufacturer. They told me USPS, insured, machine parts. I got an email Friday, I will be getting it back this week through USPS.

i dont trust USPS w a serialized lower, ie firearm per BATFE. personally i send stuff only UPS/fedex....USPS is for birthday cards and coupons, not firearms.

i dont trust USPS w a serialized lower, ie firearm per BATFE. personally i send stuff only UPS/fedex....USPS is for birthday cards and coupons, not firearms.

UPS/fedex outsource to USPS more often than you'd think, but whatever helps you sleep at night. I sleep well knowing every step of the process is tracked and a signature by an authorized agent it required on delivery with an insured package through USPS.

A AR15 lower being sent to an engraver is considered a repair and can be done by UPS or FedEx.
Can it also be done through the USPS?

Or, is it like a handgun that COULD be sent through the USPS but only by a FFL?

Where are you located? There are at least two laser engraving places that I know about in MA that can do it while you wait. Jack's Machine Co. in Hanson, MA and Nitor Laser in Southwick, MA. Prices at both places are pretty reasonable.

I have gotten two packages supposedly "delivered" by UPS stolen. Not a single problem with USPS. I think USPS is pretty trustworthy, if you are worried about it being opened or lost you could send it registered mail.

Where are you located? There are at least two laser engraving places that I know about in MA that can do it while you wait. Jack's Machine Co. in Hanson, MA and Nitor Laser in Southwick, MA. Prices at both places are pretty reasonable.

Jacks's is too far.

I really like identmarking.

Last edited:
Try calling them? Just proposing another option vs shipping it out.

After my latest fiasco with Armor Anodizing - I'm reluctant to ship anything out. It sucks when somebody has your valuable parts that you have taken the trouble to file with the ATF as NFA, and nobody can be bothered to respond to an email or pick up a phone, but I digress. All I' saying is the less time I can have my stuff out of my hands, the better.

I called Nitor and they answered right away. I take back what I said about them not answering, but that was another company. Sorry I got them mixed up!

They said I can make an appointment and come in.

They CAN do it while I wait!

Awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom