• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Can I see your permit?"

Says the guy in the Gun Library at Cabela's, as I ask to see a vintage 1911.
I told him "Sure, but that's not required...". He then says they are supposed to do that and that the guys at Hoffman's do it every so often... I don't buy it!

Who the heck is directing this guy to check people for permits? What if I didn't have a permit He'd still have to show me the gun... I don't see everyone whipping out permits out in the main gun area.

But whatever, even the "gun guys" are giving the gun guys a hard time I guess.

It depends on the store policy. I've been carded many times if I'm new to a store. After a few visits, it becomes a non-issue. Don't sweat the small stuff, its SOP for some stores.

Says the guy in the Gun Library at Cabela's, as I ask to see a vintage 1911.
I told him "Sure, but that's not required...". He then says they are supposed to do that and that the guys at Hoffman's do it every so often... I don't buy it!

Who the heck is directing this guy to check people for permits? What if I didn't have a permit He'd still have to show me the gun... I don't see everyone whipping out permits out in the main gun area.

But whatever, even the "gun guys" are giving the gun guys a hard time I guess.

if you live in MA or similar state, it MAY be state law as some type of "permit" is required..... vs. other states (i.e. NH) will ask for ID / Drivers License... well, if you whip out a MA DL, they will immediately ask for your MA LTC / FID.... -that has been my experience....

Interesting... Hasn't happened to me, ever.
What if you don't have a permit, you can't handle the fiirearm? That wouldn't go over too well.
No sweat though. I'm a proud permit holder.

You learn something new every day. I just learned something new!

Last edited:
Like the others have typed...It doesn't matter what the law states or exempts you from; it is all up to the owners of the business to decide what can or cannot happen in their shop, as long as it does not contravene a law regulating a privately-owned business.

Hell, they could make you turn over a U.S. passport and stand on one leg in order to handle the firearm, and there's nothing you could do about it, except comply to handle it, or leave.

Cabela's where???

You're not buying a handgun in Mass. without an LTC (unless you have an "unobtainium letter to purchase from a chief) so, might as well clear that up right at the start. If you can't buy it, why should he show it? Paying, capable customers always get priority.

I've never looked at handguns and NOT been asked for my LTC in Mass........since 1983.

Last edited by a moderator:
im assuming your talking about cabelas in CT. Since you need a permit to buy a handgun in CT - I can see why they ask. No permit - no purchase.

Yup, CT. This is the CT Law forum.
I've seen some interesting incidents of dealers messing with customers (not Cabela's) and I wasn't going to play victim.
So in my 47 years... never been asked. So I thought it was strange, that' all.

They are just covering their asses. When I worked there they did the same thing. They will still show you a firearm without a permit though. Not usually in the Gun Library most of the time since most of the firearms are quite valuable.

Most of the handguns in the Gun Library are of the vanilla and affordable variety. The shotguns and rifles tend to get a bit lofty.
But I was there to look at a 1913 made Colt 1911... $1400, not too bad. I did buy a sweet, appeared to have never been fired, Glock 21 SF with ambi and pic rail for a sweet price from the Library the day before. You never know what cool stuff (deal) you'll find.

Yup, CT. This is the CT Law forum.
I've seen some interesting incidents of dealers messing with customers (not Cabela's) and I wasn't going to play victim.
So in my 47 years... never been asked. So I thought it was strange, that' all.

I agree with Gunner, I am in CT as well and have never been "carded" to look at any piece. I know the sales person in question and they guy resembles a certain anatomical part, but with ears. Plays God a lot. my.02$
Tank

I've never been carded at Cabelas, but I was carded at Hoffmans once, when they were in the previous location across the street. I showed him my MA LTC and said I had no intention of purchasing, I just wanted to hold it and feel sorry for myself (I think it was a Kimber or something). The guy laughed and told me to take as long as I wanted.

I agree with Gunner, I am in CT as well and have never been "carded" to look at any piece. I know the sales person in question and they guy resembles a certain anatomical part, but with ears. Plays God a lot. my.02$
Tank

My thoughts exactly....Power Trip

Back
Top Bottom