• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Can I get a brief run down?

MAGA99

NES Member
Hi. NH resident, have an 18yo nephew who lives with his mom in RI. If he lived in NH I would have handed him his own AR but I know it’s more complicated than that as a cross state line issue.

He only moved there with his mom a few years back. He’s a great kid, well mannered, well adjusted, and loves shooting guns with uncle (here in NH). When he visits I make him carry IWB while he’s in America!!

I guess he needs a permit in RI??? I know zero about RI gun restrictions (unconstitutional).

What would it take for him to get a RI permit or whatever so that uncle can give him a few ‘toys?’ Obviously this would have to be through FFL transfer.

Thanks!

Hunter safety class certificate is all you need to purchase anything but he'll have to wait 7 days for a BG check to be done. There is no 7 day wait if he has his carry license.

What town is he in ?

There's some scary stuff in these laws.... I just read thru them again...

§ 11-47-28 Arrest and detention for possession of firearms. – Every officer authorized to make an arrest may, without complaint and warrant, arrest any person who has in his or her possession any firearm, whenever the officer has reasonable ground to suspect that the person possesses or is using or is carrying the firearm contrary to law. Any person so arrested may be detained a reasonable time, not exceeding twenty-four (24)hours, for the purpose of making an investigation concerning the person, but no person so arrested shall be detained longer than twenty-four (24) hours without complaint being made against him or her before some proper court or justice. If the officer making the arrest shall at any time within the twenty-four (24) hours satisfy himself or herself that there is no ground for making a criminal complaint against the person, he or she shall thereupon be discharged from custody.

Hunter safety class certificate is all you need to purchase anything but he'll have to wait 7 days for a BG check to be done. There is no 7 day wait if he has his carry license.

What town is he in ?
Narragansett

What town is he in ?
Oh shit, that’s easy! Are you guys allowed ARs and regular mags or just cripples?

So he couldn’t carry a pistol in ri if he is under 21? I know he can’t purchase….so I can’t transfer a handgun to him I guess…

So basically no use applying for carry permit until 21? Damn.

Oh shit, that’s easy! Are you guys allowed ARs and regular mags or just cripples?

So he couldn’t carry a pistol in ri if he is under 21? I know he can’t purchase….so I can’t transfer a handgun to him I guess…

So basically no use applying for carry permit until 21? Damn.

No carry permit until 21. We don't have an assault weapons ban, but we do have a new 10 round mag limit. No class III firearms are allowed either (so none of the really fun stuff). There are two different permits you can get. One is issued by the attorney general, and one is issued by your local police chief. The AG permit is may issue, and the town permits are shall issue, but some towns do everything in their power to avoid issuing permits. I'm not sure if Narraganset is a green town or not, but it'll be a couple of years before it matters for him anyway.

What town is he in ?
Sorta correct. If someone has a CCW permit through a city or town in RI, then no waiting period. A CCW permit through the AGs means open carry is OK (it is not OK via a town/city issued CCW), but you still have a waiting period post-purchase.

Could my nephew possess a long gun in his home without a carry license?? Can I transfer him a shot gun or 10/22 or something and he can keep at his home?

Could my nephew possess a long gun in his home without a carry license?? Can I transfer him a shot gun or 10/22 or something and he can keep at his home?

Absolutely. There is no permit requirement to own a firearm in Rhode Island. He'll need a blue card to purchase ammo at this point (that's a fairly new thing), but that's a really simple written safety test he can take at any gun store.

This isn't very difficult.

If he is over 18 and can pass a background check you can bring it to any FFL and transfer it to him. He needs no special permit or permission slip. He cannot possess magazines over 10 rounds. That's really it, although he will also have to wait 7 days because stupid laws.

This isn't very difficult.

If he is over 18 and can pass a background check you can bring it to any FFL and transfer it to him. He needs no special permit or permission slip. He cannot possess magazines over 10 rounds. That's really it, although he will also have to wait 7 days because stupid laws.
Strange! It’s difficult for someone not from RI!! I guess it’s not as bad as mass!!

Is if I gift him a long gun, it has to sit at the FFL for 7 days?! Crazy!

Strange! It’s difficult for someone not from RI!! I guess it’s not as bad as mass!!

Is if I gift him a long gun, it has to sit at the FFL for 7 days?! Crazy!
Yes, we have a 7 day wait which was called a ''cool down period''. Just in case we were buying a gun to shoot someone. The ridiculous part is if you already own a gun you still have to do a 7 day cool down period.
But you don't have to wait 7 days if you have a concealed carry permit from a Chief of police, but you do if you get one from the Attorney General.

Yes, we have a 7 day wait which was called a ''cool down period''. Just in case we were buying a gun to shoot someone. The ridiculous part is if you already own a gun you still have to do a 7 day cool down period.
But you don't have to wait 7 days if you have a concealed carry permit from a Chief of police, but you do if you get one from the Attorney General.

It's very simple. [laugh]

Just goes to show ya how F'in stupid politicians and anti 2A dorks are !!!!

Hi. NH resident, have an 18yo nephew who lives with his mom in RI. If he lived in NH I would have handed him his own AR but I know it’s more complicated than that as a cross state line issue.

He only moved there with his mom a few years back. He’s a great kid, well mannered, well adjusted, and loves shooting guns with uncle (here in NH). When he visits I make him carry IWB while he’s in America!!

I guess he needs a permit in RI??? I know zero about RI gun restrictions (unconstitutional).

What would it take for him to get a RI permit or whatever so that uncle can give him a few ‘toys?’ Obviously this would have to be through FFL transfer.

Thanks!
Will you be my uncle?

Thanks everyone for walking me through this!

Any recommendations on a good FFL near Narragansett to make this happen??

I haven't lived in that end of the state for almost 20 years. When I did I used to go to Heritage Gun and Coin and Kane's Gun Shop mostly. I'm not sure if they still do it, but Heritage used to not charge for transfers. It's a good shop, and usually has a pretty good stocking inventory of reloading supplies. Kane's is a tiny hole in the wall, but what they lack in quantity they usually made up for in quality. It's one of the only shops I've ever seen a Liberator in the case. Bonus if you're into classic European classic cars because his primary business is an auto repair shop that specializes in those. Lot of cool stuff to see there.

Back
Top Bottom