How long can a dealer hold a gun in ri?

carny2k

NES Member
Friend of mine bought a shotgun on black Friday. So he went back after the 7 working days to pick it up but the shop told him that the feds are backed up from black Friday and they haven't gotten a response. He went last night and they are still saying the same thing. Anyone have any insight and possibly the ri gl or law it pertains to

they can hold it as long as they like, I don't know if RI has a specific law that says a dealer can't release a gun after the Federal waiting period has timed out.

A FFL can release a gun after X many days if the check has not come back, AT THEIR DISCRETION, but the FFL is under no obligation to do it.

Sounds to me like there is something else going on, like someone with a similar name and DOB who has some issues

That's what I thought but they are telling him they haven't gotten a response at all

I made the mistake of buying a shotgun at Dicks almost 20 years ago. It took the Smithfield PD almost a month to approve my transaction, and they wouldn't let the gun go without it. I almost had to do another NICS check because the original was going to expire.

doesn't the town/city have to also approve the sale? I don't think NICS is taking this long, but i have heard from friends in RI, but the extra approval is a PIA

Does RI do them in state or do they use the "instant" background check from the Feds?

RI does a local check in addition to the NICS check that goes with a 7 day wait. The way it's written they have 7 days to deny the transaction, but most shops won't let the gun go without approval from the local PD. Some PD's are notorious for dragging their feet, and Smithfield was one of those.

I made the mistake of buying a shotgun at Dicks almost 20 years ago. It took the Smithfield PD almost a month to approve my transaction, and they wouldn't let the gun go without it. I almost had to do another NICS check because the original was going to expire.
I made that mistake once too. I went back after 7 days and they told me it was not approved yet. I said ''so you can let me have it since they failed to respond''. I was told no because their policy was to wait for them to be returned. They said their policy ''superseded the law''. I said really? why don't you sell me a gun with no background check and just say your policy supersedes law.
Then he said they are waiting for a bunch of them to come back and the PD was backed up. I suggested that they call the PD and demand them to do their job since they were the only FFL in Smithfield there was no way the PD was backed up. I also told them I would never buy another gun from them again since they don't care about their customers. They didn't even care.
I never bought a gun from them again, and then all the other anti-gun bullshit started with them and I never set foot in their store again.

Back
Top Bottom