can anyone give me some direction?

I am looking for a little guidance. I want to become a lic. gunsmith here in CT.

I am finding it hard to get any info to go on, such as Who do I seek for approvals? town planner? State DEP PD? what is the first step in the path to enlightenment?

I thougt the hard part was the machining knowledge, guess that was easier to come by.

Any help will be welcome.
Keri

I would start by getting your FFL that way you can receive and return guns direct.

That being said, I would think that getting Ruger, colt, sig, Etc. To recognize you would be whats needed not some state class.

I would Try calling one of your more local gun Makers IE Ruger, and or your local gunshop.

Maybe i was not clear enough. I am not worried about manuf recog. And getting parts. I am concerned with zoning regs pd conflicts etc. Locally i have no smiths to ask. I am not looking to open a storefront downtown. I want to go the cottage industry route. Several dealers around but no smiths. Hence the void i want to fill.

I would call the NRA first.

Then I'd google looking for a national gunsmith's guild.
There is not any formal licensing of gunsmiths as far as I know.

I would think the first thing to do was set up a business. It could just be a proprietor/dba, an S corp, LLC, etc. Talk to an Accountant about the differences.

Next, I would think you would need to get a tax ID number.

Getting set up as a gunsmith will actually make getting your ffl EASIER. Here's why. Most town zoning boards, as well as the ATF want to see provisions for having a storefront. This can cause problems if you want to work out of your home thats zoned residential. If you are a gunsmith, you can make the legitimate argument that you will not have a storefront, that an FFL is necessary to facilitate the shipping of firearms sent to your residence for service. No store front, no people coming and going = less zoning hassle.

Don
p.s. a friend of mine is an engraver and he has an FFL just to facilitate shipping. And no hours or store front.

Don

Last edited:
Now we are on the same page. I never thought about going to the good ol NRA for help on this, THANKS. those are all the same reasons i was looking to get set up as a smith.

I have had the LLC and tax id for many years now so other than incorporating for legal status I think I'm set there.

Since my son has been born I have only been on range for myself 2 times. but I spend too much time fiddling/tinkering with a basement full of tools. He plays and sleeps in a playpen in my workshop, I definitely see how my hobby has evolved.

Back
Top Bottom