Can a person with a vacation home in CT get a standard permit?

dcmdon

NES Member
My brother in law wants to get a handgun along with a pistol permit to keep at his second home in CT.

Here is the problem, he lives in NY City. If he gets a non-resident CT permit, I can't think of any way for him to actually BUY a gun.

He can't buy a handgun in NY, and won't be able to buy a handgun in CT because he is not a resident.

I suggested to him that he might be able to buy a pistol upstate with a non-resident CT permit. But I'm far from sure.

The other alternative is for him to get a CT drivers license and resident pistol permit. He spends the entire summer in CT so claiming residence is not out of the question.

So we are kindof at a catch .22. He can't buy a gun in NY. And without a resident CT permit, he can't buy a gun in CT, even though he could legally carry any handgun he owned with an non-resident permit in CT.

Thoughts?

Any way around this while still maintaining compliance with all state and federal laws?

Thanks,

Don
p.s. I will be getting my FFL within a couple of months. Im not sure if this can help in any way.

Hardest part I'd imagine will be getting fingerprinted and getting them to use the summer address. They usually use a license for this when I applied for mine, but other ID methods should be fine. I would call ahead for this at the PD that covers his summer home's city/town.

He should be able to apply at town hall no problem with a notarized copy of the home ownership/lease papers along with any drivers license/passport and birth certificate. There's no requirement on the application to have a CT license to get a CT permit. If he owns the house, there's no real issue because when he applies for his temp they'll have his info on tax records for the town to prove his address. I would still however get notarized copies and have them handy.

Once he gets the temp there's no issue as just a birth certificate and photo ID are needed to get your permanent carry license (PS Troop E in Montville/Uncasville is the best place to pick up permanent, 10 minutes tops.)

I wonder if it's a bad idea to have a driver's license with one address and a *resident* gun license with a 2nd address (in another state no less). Might be asking for trouble if he's ever stopped by a LEO.

I wonder if it's a bad idea to have a driver's license with one address and a *resident* gun license with a 2nd address (in another state no less). Might be asking for trouble if he's ever stopped by a LEO.

Yup, I'm sure that it's a felony and would get him at least 20 years in solitary!! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Where do people get these ideas??

One of the most interesting cases was a person of privilege, power and influence getting a divorce who had multiple residences. The wife's attorney concluded that NYC was the best venue for the case, but the husband wanted the case heard in a sourthern state where they had another home.

Wife's counsel argued that husband had an NYC pistol permit; NYC issues pistol permits only to residents(*); therfore, NYC must be his primary residence.

* - Yes, I've also heard the storied about special people who aren't really residents being treated as such

Yup, I'm sure that it's a felony and would get him at least 20 years in solitary!! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Where do people get these ideas??

Simple: Both NY and CT require someone to get a driver's license within 30 days of becoming a resident there. If said person has a CT resident gun license and a NY driver's license (and for simplicity, say both are >30 days old), then either the dude is driving with an invalid DL or carrying with an invalid gun license. You can't be a resident of 2 states at the same time.

Simple: Both NY and CT require someone to get a driver's license within 30 days of becoming a resident there. If said person has a CT resident gun license and a NY driver's license (and for simplicity, say both are >30 days old), then either the dude is driving with an invalid DL or carrying with an invalid gun license. You can't be a resident of 2 states at the same time.

Nowhere in CT law does it requires that you have your PRIMARY residence here to get a resident permit. It merely requires a residence. And no a DL is not required to get a CT permit. You can use a State ID card or a Passport in place.

From DPS FAQ:
May I keep my Pistol Permit if I move out of state?
Yes, providing you notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of the change of address, and continue to renew your permit.

and:
Applicants must provide proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States, such as a birth certificate, or U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
from: http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294502&dpsNav=|#eligibility

also read state application guideline here:
http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dlsurs/sur/htm/chap529.htm#Sec29-28.htm

As long as you can get mail at your residence year round and you check it routinely (or have someone do it for you) there is no requirement to say you "moved" to your other house. Just be aware your renewal notice will go to whatever house they have on record. You could use your summer address to get your permit and then tell them you "moved" to your other house and they will send it there. They won't ask questions once you have the permit as long as you always renew it, no matter how many times you move, and no matter where you move to.

Last edited:
They don't need fingerprints or letters of recommendation anymore. And we only have one permit. It is a permit to carry.. Open or Not.

EDITED:

Technically correct:
Section 28-29:
b) The local authority shall take the fingerprints of such applicant or conduct any other method of positive identification required by the State Police Bureau of Identification or the Federal Bureau of Investigation, unless the local authority determines that the fingerprints of such applicant have been previously taken and the applicant's identity established, and such applicant presents identification that the local authority verifies as valid. The local authority shall record the date the fingerprints were taken in the applicant's file and, within five business days of such date, shall forward such fingerprints or other positive identifying information to the State Police Bureau of Identification which shall conduct criminal history records checks in accordance with section 29-17a.

From: http://search.cga.state.ct.us/dlsurs/sur/htm/chap529.htm#Sec29-29.htm

Letters not required. I imagine they'll give you a hard time on proving you're "you" without fingerprinting. Not sure what else constitutes a "method of positive identification". If you want to go that route I'd advise using your nice voice and having some patience when trying to find that alternate acceptable way. Passport maybe?

Last edited:
Nowhere in CT law does it requires that you have your PRIMARY residence here to get a resident permit. It merely requires a residence.

That's the salient point that I did not know. I thought you could only have a resident permit from the one state that your primary residence is in. Thanks for the correction.

And no a DL is not required to get a CT permit. You can use a State ID card or a Passport in place.

I wasn't trying to imply that a DL was required, merely that the DL indicates which state your primary residence is in. But since, as mentioned above, that is not relevant to which state you can get a resident permit from, the DL issue is moot.

merely that the DL indicates which state your primary residence is in. But since, as mentioned above, that is not relevant to which state you can get a resident permit from, the DL issue is moot.

No it doesn't (in general). FL is smart and issues a "FL ONLY" DL, but most other states don't.

Legally if you are in MA for >30 days (as a for instance), you MUST legally obtain a MA DL . . . the MGLs doesn't care if you are living in a hotel for 60 days to do a single job under contract and have your permanent residence (let's say) in CT.

So driving laws don't always indicate where you legally call "home" on a permanent basis. There are NES'rs here who have been away from home on a job assignment for months at a time.

Fed Law says that you can't be a resident of two states simultaneously, but if you Winter in FL and Summer in CT, Fed Law says that you are a RESIDENT of each state during such time you are living there for an extended period. Each state has their own quirks in this regard, mostly driven to prevent discounted college in state schools.

FL is smart and issues a "FL ONLY" DL, but most other states don't.

This is done as a service to people who live in FL long enough to trigger the need for an in-state drivers license, but who are only there for part of the year. The interstate driver license compact (of which FL is a member) requires someone getting a license from one state, when they already have one in another state, to turn in their license in the "from" state at the time the get their new license. The "valid in FL only" license does not require that the holder of a non-Florida license turn it in when they get their "FL only" license, and would presumably not place the individual in violation of laws in other states that prohibit concurrent holding of multiple valid driver's license.

Each state has their own quirks in this regard, mostly driven to prevent discounted college in state schools.
Residence for state schools generally has a timeframe like "resident for at least one year". The legal residency may start immediately, however, the in state tuition does not kick in until after the waiting period.

Actually, FL no longer issue "FL only" driver's licenses...

322.03 Drivers must be licensed; penalties.--

(1) Except as otherwise authorized in this chapter, a person may not drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver's license issued under this chapter.

>snip<

(c) Part-time residents of this state issued a license that is valid within this state only under paragraph (b) as that paragraph existed before November 1, 2009, may continue to hold such license until the next issuance of a Florida driver's license or identification card. Licenses that are identified as "Valid in Florida Only" may not be issued or renewed effective November 1, 2009. This paragraph expires June 30, 2017.

Legally if you are in MA for >30 days (as a for instance), you MUST legally obtain a MA DL . . . the MGLs doesn't care if you are living in a hotel for 60 days to do a single job under contract and have your permanent residence (let's say) in CT.
Interesting. Do you have a reference for this? Everything I've read on the MA RMV website says that you only need a MA DL once you become a resident of MA. Out-of-state students definitely do not need to get MA DL when they come here for college. Also, in order to get a MA DL, you need to provide some documents. One of those is a "Document proving Massachusetts residency". That's hard to do if you're living in a hotel for 60 days with no intention of residing here.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/index.htm

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/9oos.htm

Fed Law says that you can't be a resident of two states simultaneously, but if you Winter in FL and Summer in CT, Fed Law says that you are a RESIDENT of each state during such time you are living there for an extended period. Each state has their own quirks in this regard, mostly driven to prevent discounted college in state schools.

It must be a pain to notify all permit-issuing agencies of your change of residence/address twice a year in that case. :)

I no longer have the reference and it's been years since I needed to study and enforce MGL Ch. 90, but you should find it in there somewhere. I specifically recall that it stated that the 30 days were cumulative (which I didn't state above to avoid further confusion).

I also used to work with a "walking encyclopedia" on Ch. 90 . . . a Sgt who loved traffic enforcement.

Other than the last few hijacked posts, thank you all for your replies. I've also spoken with a gentleman named Ed Peruta over on opencarry.com. He's pretty active in CT gun politics and confirmed what
many of you have said. Which is that CT does not have to be his primary residence. As he put it, you can have many residences but only one domicile.

So we are going to get him a regular resident permit. His residence is in Old Saybrook, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Don

Back
Top Bottom