Camping with rifles, firearms visible

Sup gents,

I am looking for a spot where me and my wife could take the rifles with us without having to fear for some libturd calling the cops on us... I am more looking into the more survival type training with her.. and while I could do this behind my house i'd like to go into a more unfamiliar terrain.

thanks

I don't mean to sound flippant, but if you're doing survival training properly there won't be many people around of any political persuasion.

What state are you in?

he doesn't mean to sound flippant and i don't mean to sound rude, but come on man. you know it's bad when people gotta ask questions like this. this is america, 2a, history of hunters outdoorsman ect. outdoorsman should be outside, doing outdoorsemeny things, like camping and playing with guns. the fact you have to even ask about this is a sign our state is in the shitter.

Thanks Dan I feel the way. I rather be safe then sorry. I know state parks allow firearms but they have designated camping spots where everyone is.. I'm looking for woodlands .. Just looking to make camp , hike find water etc while having some gear

I'll put it another way: Concealed means concealed, where camping is concerned. It doesn't matter where you camp, if nobody knows you're there.

There are permit sites up on the northeastern part of Moosehead Lake (Cowans Cove and Spencer Bay) come to mind. Also Side Pistol Lake further east off the Airline). About six hour trip though...

Curious, couldn't you get jammed up carrying a rifle in the woods on hunting regs. the way folks get pinched for DWI for napping in the back seat of their cars with the AC/heat on with that "intent" or whatever it is they call it?

If a game warden finds you carrying a rifle and believes you are hunting, you are gonna get bagged hard. Game wardens will charge turkey hunters with deer poaching if they find a single round of buckshot left over in your hunting bag from deer season. "i was jut plinking" will also be a tough claim, considering you'll probably be on government land where such things are technically illegal.

That being said, you should be allowed to carry a gun for self protection. Make it clear thats what you are doing.

Sup gents,
I am looking for a spot where me and my wife could take the rifles with us without having to fear for some libturd calling the cops on us...

Unfortunately, that can happen anywhere these days - terrorist-freak-mad bomber in the woods oh my!

If you're not planning to shoot and just want to carry the rifles for the 'feel' - maybe some realistic weight airsoft? Save you any hassle with the wardens, still might get you called on by the retards.

Unfortunately, that can happen anywhere these days - terrorist-freak-mad bomber in the woods oh my!

If you're not planning to shoot and just want to carry the rifles for the 'feel' - maybe some realistic weight airsoft? Save you any hassle with the wardens, still might get you called on by the retards.

nah, if I can't do it then I'll just forget it. not going to spend money for a bb gun. i did this stuff back in the day in the army.. just kinda sad that you can't do this anywhere without having to fear for a loss of license etc

If you and the wife both have a hunting license, carry .22 rifles and you are "hunting red squirrel."

This. Red squirrel is not considered "game" and has no season or bag limit. Could also carry a shotgun with birdshot and be hunting red squirrel as well. I'd have to research this one but.......grey squirrel in the abstract is limited to shotgun only in zones 10-14 (housing density is the factor here and f and g does not want people firing 22 rifles at upward angles into trees in more densely populated areas) .......does not specifically state the restriction applies to red squirrel (they tend to spend more time on the ground but....)or not but it may carry over I'm not sure. If in zones 10-14 you definitely have to leave the 22 at home when hunting grey squirrels. But yes you will need a hunting license on you in either case.

If you do get a hunting license and decide to try this and want to actually hunt red squirrel for the practice in survival (field dressing and eating) the farther north you go the better......reds are less prevalent in Massachusetts hardwood forests.......they prefer conifer stands. My son and I bagged one red squirrel in Harold parker state forest last year walking through a conifer stand to get to an oak stand for greys. Up in the white mountains reds are everywhere. Should have seen the look on some of the soccer mom's faces when my son and I waked down the entrance trail in Andover Ma to get to the area we wanted to hunt on opening day of squirrel season with two shotguns over our shoulders! One had to ask what we were doing......."read the sign in the parking lot" was my answer.......it is clearly marked that certain sections of Harold parker are open for hunting! Good times.

Last edited:
One had to ask what we were doing......."read the sign in the parking lot" was my answer.......it is clearly marked that certain sections of Harold parker are open for hunting! Good times.

Because answering her question with a civil response was just too difficult? No wonder so many people that haven't been exposed to hunting are jumping on the anti-bandwagon.

This. Red squirrel is not considered "game" and has no season or bag limit. Could also carry a shotgun with birdshot and be hunting red squirrel as well. I'd have to research this one but.......grey squirrel in the abstract is limited to shotgun only in zones 10-14 (housing density is the factor here and f and g does not want people firing 22 rifles at upward angles into trees in more densely populated areas) .......does not specifically state the restriction applies to red squirrel (they tend to spend more time on the ground but....)or not but it may carry over I'm not sure. If in zones 10-14 you definitely have to leave the 22 at home when hunting grey squirrels. But yes you will need a hunting license on you in either case.

If you do get a hunting license and decide to try this and want to actually hunt red squirrel for the practice in survival (field dressing and eating) the farther north you go the better......reds are less prevalent in Massachusetts hardwood forests.......they prefer conifer stands. My son and I bagged one red squirrel in Harold parker state forest last year walking through a conifer stand to get to an oak stand for greys. Up in the white mountains reds are everywhere. Should have seen the look on some of the soccer mom's faces when my son and I waked down the entrance trail in Andover Ma to get to the area we wanted to hunt on opening day of squirrel season with two shotguns over our shoulders! One had to ask what we were doing......."read the sign in the parking lot" was my answer.......it is clearly marked that certain sections of Harold parker are open for hunting! Good times.

DEF good times. squirel is good meat love it... I'll probably just do the camping/survival part in my own backyard to be on the safe side. Don't have to worry about strangers or other people walking around. I'll look into the harold parker.. I like to use my air rifle for squirel pretty effective

Because answering her question with a civil response was just too difficult? No wonder so many people that haven't been exposed to hunting are jumping on the anti-bandwagon.
You jumped to conclusions in your assumption of how I responded. What was uncivil about my response? I did not tell her to **** off! I did not even raise my voice or scoff at her. If the said soccer mom had asked me what I was doing in a civil manner I would have responded in a very civil tone and explained it was the opening day of squirrel season and hunting is allowed at Harold parker. However.........she scoffed at me when I walked past her.......I even tipped my hat and said Good morning m'am.......she decided to turn around after she passed me and in a snide tone asked "what are you doing" (kind of similar to how I am picturing your face when typing your response to my post) When I turned around she had jaw agape and a snide look on her face......I felt my best option at that moment was to state in a monotone response "read the sign in the parking lot" rather than engage her.....sometimes you have to decide quickly if it is worth the time and effort........this was not worth ruining my first day of small game season engaging an anti in what was clearly going to become an argument.....especially with my teen age son with me. I am an advocate of hunting and sports afield.......I have had numerous conversations with my wife's friends and relatives about hunting and educated and even convinced a few of the advantages of hunting. Even got my wife involved and two years ago she harvested her first deer.

You sir.....need to relax and get the whole story before jumping to conclusions. My point to telling the op about the soccer mom is to let him know that area is full of day hikers and antis due to the location..........and be prepared for it.

Now I ask you.......what do you do in order to promote and advocate hunting and sports afield that I do not?

Last edited:
Let's get it promoted. I just got my hunting license. I also frequent the Harold parker state forest before. But I never heard a gun shot there. When will the small game hunting season begin? I looked the gov site
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-north/harold-parker-state-forest.html
with no information. I would like to start my hunting with 22lr rifle there first if I can. Thanks.
Harold parker is in zone 10 so cotton tail rabbit grey squirrel and pheasant all open up mid October. Now...if you want to hunt with a 22 at harold parker you will be limited to cotton tail rabbit only (zones 10 to 14 limit grey squirrel to shotgun only) and pheasent is always shotgun only. But....you are in luck if u want to hunt with a 22 as zones 1-9 are open for grey squirrel on 12 sep this year and rifles and handguns can be used on greys in those zones. Zone 9 is just on the west of 495. There are plenty of wma lands in zone 9 that hold plenty of greys. Most hunters herald opening day of pheasant season....but i find the first day of pheasant to be over crowded at the stocked wma lands and it turns into a circus....so my son and i generally grab the shotguns and go for bushy tails instead! Pm me for any info you want on wma in zones 9.

I asked this question a few years ago and was shutdown so hard the firing pin on my sks hurt.

Short answer is as found above. . We live in a society where the common sense practice and training session you are asking about is incompatible with MA society and probably most of the US.

Figure out another way to get your groove on.

If you are in mass, you need to be very cognizant of hunting regs.

"Hunting" is interpreted very broadly - as noted above the wrong ammo is bad.

"Concealed means concealed" is fine, but it's difficult with a long gun.

Same goes for most any other state

Maybe because the majority Oct majoRity majoRity of voters are not doing shit to educate themselves about the civil rights their elected individuals are voting against.

Maybe because the majority Oct majoRity majoRity of voters are not doing shit to educate themselves about the civil rights their elected individuals are voting against.
In the instance that prompted this side bar discussion the snide soccer mom could have educated herself by just reading he sign posted in the parking lot!!!!! But we were in Andover.....so it is assumed by all soccer moms that they rule the world.

Last edited:
Sup gents,

I am looking for a spot where me and my wife could take the rifles with us without having to fear for some libturd calling the cops on us... I am more looking into the more survival type training with her.. and while I could do this behind my house i'd like to go into a more unfamiliar terrain.

thanks

Go to Maine, near Jackman to be specific. Go onto the Plum Creek land near there and camp. I've driven for days and not seen another person deep in those woods. Seeboomook lake has camping around it, off season you won't see anyone. Take a 4 day weekend and it's doable for a first outing.

Get a Delorome map before you go though.

With a New Hampshire hunting license, coyote would justify carrying centerfire rifles (we have year-round open season on coyotes). The state has plenty of land open to hunting, including public and private land.

I know state parks allow firearms but they have designated camping spots where everyone is.. I'm looking for woodlands .. Just looking to make camp , hike find water etc while having some gear
Most New Hampshire state parks welcome hunters, and several offer backcountry camping permits, so you can make camp out of the way of the average soccer mom daytripper.

Gray squirrel & rabbit are out of season, that pretty much leaves woodchuck, porcupine, and red squirrel as open season edible mammals.

Last edited:
Seeing your state is not the PRM, it's pretty extreme, here. During deer season, it's unlawful to carry a handgun while in the woods. Even with an unrestricted LTC.

As in inmate of that hellhole for 25 years and a MA NRA instructor, I am well aware of the "laws" of the PRM.

Back
Top Bottom