Camping in New england area.

IvIax

Banned
I am just wondering, what's need to be considered before I go on a camping trip in MA and NH(with NH non-res license)? Do I need a hunting license to carry guns?

In NH you don't need any sort of permit to OC, but you need the non-res pistol/revolver license to conceal it (which it sounds like you have). No hunting license necessary to carry firearms here, even in the woods.

Sorry, I did not make it clear. I do have non-res license for NH. Thank god, I applied for that. I noticed some of the states have strict rules about camping with a firearm, especially in the state park...they required a hunting license to camp in those parks. Is it the same in NH? Looks like NH is the way to go here. What about MA?

Sorry, I did not make it clear. I do have non-res license for NH. Thank god, I applied for that. I noticed some of the states have strict rules about camping with a firearm, especially in the state park...they required a hunting license to camp in those parks. Is it the same in NH? Looks like NH is the way to go here. What about MA?

Even in mass if you are not hunting you can have your ccw with you (if licensed appropriately of course). If you are hunting in Mass for a species that only a rifle or shotgun can be used for then you are not supposed to have a handgun on you even if you have a LTCA. IE.........deer hunting only a shotgun, bow or muzzle loader is legal so having a handgun on you may cause a problem.

If you are camping/hiking in mass with a handgun concealed on your person and have an ltca you should be good to go.

NH........you are good to go open carry only without P and R......with P and R you can conceal it.

ENjoy!

Even in mass if you are not hunting you can have your ccw with you (if licensed appropriately of course). If you are hunting in Mass for a species that only a rifle or shotgun can be used for then you are not supposed to have a handgun on you even if you have a LTCA. IE.........deer hunting only a shotgun, bow or muzzle loader is legal so having a handgun on you may cause a problem.

If you are camping/hiking in mass with a handgun concealed on your person and have an ltca you should be good to go.

NH........you are good to go open carry only without P and R......with P and R you can conceal it.

ENjoy!

I mentioned the hunting license because I vaguely remember someone said you can't carry firearms in state park but you can do it if you have a hunting license. I don't know how true it is though.

In NH:
So if I don't have a non-res pistol permit, I will have to store my 1911 in a visible place while I am camping? I am just curious, I have that permit. The friend I will be camping with he doesn't have it.

In MA:
What about the state parks?

I mentioned the hunting license because I vaguely remember someone said you can't carry firearms in state park but you can do it if you have a hunting license. I don't know how true it is though.

In NH:
So if I don't have a non-res pistol permit, I will have to store my 1911 in a visible place while I am camping? I am just curious, I have that permit. The friend I will be camping with he doesn't have it.

In MA:

In NH you can store it however the hell you want (excluding in a car, that's a whole different ball of wax).

If it is "on your person" and you don't have a P&R license it better be open carry. If it is "on your person" and you have a P&R license carry it however you would like.

I don't know nothing about MA.

In NH:

In MA:

If you do not have a p and r you don't have to "store it"........he can carry that 1911 pistol loaded on hip hip as long as it can be seen openly. In the car without a p and r your friend would have to have that 1911 unloaded......and then he can put it anywhere he wants. Is that what you meant?

Last edited:
In NH there is no government permission slip needed to possess any firearm.

In NH there are no laws regarding storage of firearms.

In NH no loaded long arms in or on a vehicle.

In NH if you are concealed carrying a handgun or have a loaded handgun openly carried in a vehicle you need a pistol & revolver license. Open carrying out of a vehicle requires no license.

In NH no weapons in a courthouse.

That's the nickel version of NH laws about carrying or having firearms- it's not MA, don't overthink it. [grin]

In NH there is no government permission slip needed to possess any firearm.

In NH there are no laws regarding storage of firearms.

In NH no loaded long arms in or on a vehicle.

In NH if you are concealed carrying a handgun or have a loaded handgun openly carried in a vehicle you need a pistol & revolver license. Open carrying out of a vehicle requires no license.

In NH no weapons in a courthouse.

That's the nickel version of NH laws about carrying or having firearms- it's not MA, don't overthink it. [grin]

Basically you are saying in NH you are free to exerecize your 2a rights at any time.......unless you step into a vehicle......then you need a piece of paper stating you can do so. That is still weird to me........if you are going to "live free or die" why not do it like VT.....what was the purpose of the P and R

No concealing long guns on your person, no loaded long guns inside a car or other vehicle in NH.

Your buddy will need to unload his if he keeps it in his pack while you guys are hiking (ie, when he's wearing the pack, that handgun is on his person). That also means no loaded long guns concealed in a pack while hiking. If he is open carrying, either can be loaded. Once you guys make camp, he can store a loaded pistol in his pack, provided he doesn't put the pack on. I do not know if you can have a loaded long gun in a pack/case outside of your home if the pack/case is not on your person. I would imagine you can, since the whole concealment thing refers to it being on your person, and I have never seen a statute that specifically forbids doing that.

I have never heard of needing a hunting permit in NH to carry a gun at any point in time, or at any place in the state.

Last edited:
In NH you don't need any sort of permit to OC, but you need the non-res pistol/revolver license to conceal it (which it sounds like you have). No hunting license necessary to carry firearms here, even in the woods.

if it's hunting season and you are in a hunting area you may be considered to be hunting by the EP Police

If you're going to a campground, be aware that quite a few have a no gun policy. I'm assuming it's because most all of them have kids running around and they don't want to worry about liability issues, and also because there's usually kids running around. YMMV. Might want to check ahead to be sure.

If you're going to a campground, be aware that quite a few have a no gun policy. I'm assuming it's because most all of them have kids running around and they don't want to worry about liability issues, and also because there's usually kids running around. YMMV. Might want to check ahead to be sure.

This would only apply to a private campground- not to state parks. Private business- their house, their rules. Their rules do not have any legally binding meaning, you cannot be arrested for breaking them, only asked to leave. If asked to leave and you refuse you are trespassing.

Basically you are saying in NH you are free to exerecize your 2a rights at any time.......unless you step into a vehicle......then you need a piece of paper stating you can do so. That is still weird to me........if you are going to "live free or die" why not do it like VT.....what was the purpose of the P and R

Without a P&R you cannot conceal carry a loaded handgun at all- only open carry. For purposes of the law being inside a vehicle with a loaded handgun in any fashion is considered concealed. Who ever said laws need to make sense?

This would only apply to a private campground- not to state parks. Private business- their house, their rules. Their rules do not have any legally binding meaning, you cannot be arrested for breaking them, only asked to leave. If asked to leave and you refuse you are trespassing.

I'm aware of the fact that it isn't a legal restriction at private campgrounds. The OP didn't specify where so I thought I'd mention it to be helpful. I was pointing it out since it might not occur to some people that guns might not be allowed while camping. It surprised me when I first found out years ago. It would suck to make reservations at a private campground a while in advance, get up there, have a pistol on your belt, and then be asked to leave during the busy season.

Back
Top Bottom