Camp Edwards

I mostly hunt pheasant and try to make it out for a couple of days of deer shotgun season.

This year I want some venison in the freezer. I was looking at the Mass F&W page and saw the info about the Camp Edwards hunt. It seems like this could be a good opportunity to be in an active deer area. On the other hand I have heard stories of the Nantucket hunts and am wondering what hunting Edwards is like.

Discuss.

good luck going to Nantucket if you dont know the area. there are deer to be had out there but it is a lot of work to get them moving. the drivers are on there hands and knees most of the time, and the deer move around like rabbits, you may only see them for a half a sec.
Camp Edwards on the other hand is a purity friendly place for the lone hunter. just find a good spot to sit and let the big gangs move the deer for you. there are enough gangs that hunt the base to keep the deer moving all day

but then again, you can shoot an unlimited amount doe for 5bucks a tag

Last edited:
I don't want to go out to the islands.

I am a single hunter who is looking to hunt hard (sun up-sun down) for 3+/- days and throw some meat in the freezer by the end. The area they describe seems to be heavy woods. So it would seem like I could reap the benefits of a large group of drivers, if there were drivers.

I mostly hunt pheasant and try to make it out for a couple of days of deer shotgun season.

This year I want some venison in the freezer. I was looking at the Mass F&W page and saw the info about the Camp Edwards hunt. It seems like this could be a good opportunity to be in an active deer area. On the other hand I have heard stories of the Nantucket hunts and am wondering what hunting Edwards is like.

Discuss.

I don't know anything about the Camp Edwards hunt so I am looking forward to hearing the responses on that though I am not sure that I want to be concerned about UXO's (Unexploded Ordinance) while I am hunting.

I do know this. If you really want venison for the freezer getting out for a couple of days during the shotgun season most likely will not accomplish your goal. IME you really need to spend some time out in the woods to put deer in the freezer on a consistent basis, of course everyone gets lucky once in a while. Archery season is my personal favorite. I love hunting in the nicer weather when I am not freezing my kester off.

Bob

I have shoulder issues that make archery difficult, and aren't you suppose to chase pheasants during those days.

I do get out around my home area (Berkshires), but am looking to do a little trip, not spend alot of money, and up my odds of getting a deer.

I have shoulder issues that make archery difficult, and aren't you suppose to chase pheasants during those days.

I do get out around my home area (Berkshires), but am looking to do a little trip, not spend alot of money, and up my odds of getting a deer.

Gotcha. I do the Quabbin hunt but the success rate there is actually lower than the rest of the state. I just like being able to get out on the Prescott peninsula. Have you considered hunting in Connecticut? I have hunted some of the public lands (both archery and gun areas) and I see way more deer there.

FWIW: I have a bad back injury (6 operations) and the only way I can hunt the archery season anymore is to use a crossbow. I have crossbow permits for Mass and Conn. Connecticut's archery season runs from Sept 15th until the end of the year and the bag limits are generous, 2 antlerless tags and 2 either sex tags state wide.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom