• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CALL YOUR REPS - SD 1157 and SD 1889 - Challenging AG's enforcement notice

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
From the NRA-ILA:
"SD 1157, sponsored by state Senator Don Humason (R- Second Hampden and Hampshire), would remove the Attorney General’s authority to regulate firearms and would repeal the previous regulations.

SD 1889, sponsored by state Senator Anne Gobi (D- Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Middlesex),would eliminate the term “copy” from statute, thereby, eliminating the premise behind the Attorney General’s actions."​

Links to the actual bills:
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/SD1157
https://malegislature.gov/Bills/190/SD1889

Last edited:
From NRA-ILA

The Massachusetts General Court’s 2017 legislative session is in full swing with the introduction of numerous pro- and anti-gun bills. Among the pro-gun bills are Senate Docket 1157 and Senate Docket 1889. Both SD 1157 and SD 1889 seek to challenge the gun ban set forth last summer by Attorney General Healey’s “enforcement notice,” which greatly expands the Commonwealth’s definition of “assault weapon.” AG Healey alleges that the ban’s definition of “copy” or “duplicate” “assault weapons” have been misinterpreted for the last 18 years and she is simply the first law enforcement official to discover this incorrect interpretation. In response, several legislators wrote a letter to AG Healey voicing their strong opposition. SD 1157 and SD 1889 take their opposition a step further by challenging AG Healey’s unilateral decision making through legislation.

Go here to send a prewritten letter to your Rep and Senator: https://www.nraila.org/articles/2017...aley-s-gun-ban

SD 1889, sponsored by state Senator Anne Gobi (D- Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Middlesex),would eliminate the term “copy”

The NRA must have the party affiliation of Senator Gobi wrong. /sarc

SD 1889, sponsored by state Senator Anne Gobi (D- Worcester, Hampden, Hampshire and Middlesex),would eliminate the term “copy”

It does seem surprising as she's normally lost in the desert.

Not sure how I feel about Bill SD.1157... there are some onerous clauses:

Bill SD.1157 said:
Third, That the licensee shall submit a record of all sales, rentals and leases forthwith at the time of such sale, rental or lease via electronic communication link to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services.
Fourth, That every firearm, rifle or shotgun shall be unloaded when delivered.
Fifth, That no weapon shall be sold, rented or leased to a minor or a person who has not a permit then in force to purchase, rent or lease the same.

It goes on... Rental ranges will have to submit to the CJIS certification that a gun was rented, and to whom, within seven days of the rental?
No unlicensed renters, no adolescent renters? Forget taking your kids to MFS.

It goes on... Rental ranges will have to submit to the CJIS certification that a gun was rented, and to whom, within seven days of the rental?
Typical of people who don't understand guns or the industry writing a bill - obviously clueless to the fact that "Rental" at a gun range does not involve surrendering custody of the weapon. There is a rationale (no, I don't have to agree to understand a reason) if they were referring to something like renting a hunting weapon on Friday and returning it Monday after the hunt.

Look at the existing law. This isn't so bad, because the "rental" provision is never, every enacted. That thing you do at MFS isn't a rental. When you rent a car, you take it away with you and use it unsupervised. You don't rent a go-cart when you go to F1 Boston.

Look at the existing law. This isn't so bad, because the "rental" provision is never, every enacted. That thing you do at MFS isn't a rental. When you rent a car, you take it away with you and use it unsupervised. You don't rent a go-cart when you go to F1 Boston.
Unless the AG re-interprets the term "rental" after decades of an accepted definition.

That stuff is already in the existing law: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section123

I haven't read the whole thing yet but it appears that the bill basically zaps out a bunch of crap that's in the existing law. Here's a quick diff: https://www.diffchecker.com/580B4bwv

Reading SD.1157, it looks like it would remove *all* references to "assault weapons" or "high capacity feeding devices" from the laws covering FFLs.

It wouldn't help the rest of us, 'cuz *possession* would still be a felony. (but the dealer couldn't get nailed for transferring one)

Am I reading that right?

She is one of the only Dems I would ever vote for!
She is on our side ...
It does seem surprising as she's normally lost in the desert.

Please explain?

Last edited:
Anyone else having issue with the link to send emails?

16f236b499a88ff14148a097669d446e.jpg

I think MA gun owners do themselves a disservice by writing off all "democrats." There are some pro-gun democrats, and non sleaze-bag democrats in our state. Not many, but some. We need them if we ever want a shot in hell of anything at all going our way legislatively. Maybe not surprisingly, these are the same ones for the most part who return our calls and voted against the insane pay raise...

Mike

Typical of people who don't understand guns or the industry writing a bill - obviously clueless to the fact that "Rental" at a gun range does not involve surrendering custody of the weapon. There is a rationale (no, I don't have to agree to understand a reason) if they were referring to something like renting a hunting weapon on Friday and returning it Monday after the hunt.

Ahh you mean the big game safari package in Cambridge? Where the hell do these people get off

I think MA gun owners do themselves a disservice by writing off all "democrats." There are some pro-gun democrats, and non sleaze-bag democrats in our state. Not many, but some. We need them if we ever want a shot in hell of anything at all going our way legislatively. Maybe not surprisingly, these are the same ones for the most part who return our calls and voted against the insane pay raise...

Mike

I agree we need to make more things "Second amendment issues" rather than partisan issues. The problem especially in a place like this is when something we want comes up for a vote their party leadership can do some behind closed doors arm twisting and all of a sudden someone who was 100% on your side decides now isn't the time to stand with the people.

Guys, those form emails are useless, they get deleted without being read. Many legislators don't even look at their official email address because it's full of form emails from all sorts of groups.

Please call your state legislators and talk to a real person. If you're afraid to call and talk to someone, send a snail mail certified letter. You don't need to write much, just "please support SD1157..."

Please and thank you.

Guys, those form emails are useless, they get deleted without being read. Many legislators don't even look at their official email address because it's full of form emails from all sorts of groups.

Please call your state legislators and talk to a real person. If you're afraid to call and talk to someone, send a snail mail certified letter. You don't need to write much, just "please support SD1157..."

Please and thank you.

Better still, talk to them IN PERSON! Find out when they have office hours, and make an appointment if you can. I see mine at lots of local functions, including school stuff (our kids are near in age). He knows where I stand, and he is on our side.

I love my rep!!! Her 2A record is impeccable.

Dear XXXX

Thank you for contacting me. I agree with your sentiments on SD1157 and SD1889 and have requested co-sponsorship. I will work with my colleagues to strongly advocate for this legislation. I am a stalwart supporter of the 2nd amendment and will be watching all legislation regarding firearms closely this session.

In addition I am cosponsoring HD3321, "An act relative to hearings for firearms identification" filed by Representative Donald Berthiaume. This legislation will protect and strengthen the rights of law-abiding citizens by requiring the Attorney General to hold three hearings across the Commonwealth before removing any firearms from any approved firearm list. The actions of last summer were outrageous and we will be doing what we can to correct the situation. I believe further restrictions are an overreach of government and I will be working with my colleagues to ensure that our rights are protected.

I appreciate your advocacy and for standing with me to protect the 2nd amendment here in Massachusetts. Please feel free to contact me with any future concerns.

Sincerely,
Keiko

Representative Keiko Orrall
12th Bristol District:
Serving Lakeville, Middleborough, Berkley, and Taunton
State House, Room 540
Boston, MA 02133

Unless the AG re-interprets the term "rental" after decades of an accepted definition.

She would never do tha...hahahahahahaha! just kidding.

This is why we need them to get this correct from the start. It is easier to amend and fix it now, rather than a few years out, going back and wordsmith it.

Back
Top Bottom